Used 2002 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Bmw 5-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

100,000 miles
By Gary

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have thoroughly enjoyed this car. I have owned VWs, MB, American made cars, etc. This car has been the most fun on a daily basis. Even with the mileage topping 100k, it is still fun to drive. In shopping for a new vehicle, it is hard to find something that compares to the over-all driving experience. The only complaint is that at 100k, all sorts of gremlins have come out to play. Major and expensive repairs have been necessary. This is NOT a maintanence free vehicle, especially at higher miles.

Favorite Features

The over-all experience. The solid feel, the great look.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are of course awful. The back seat is a little cramped. The unreliability of the mechanical parts now that it has reached 100k.

Fast and is Comfortable
By jpardo

2002 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this car at a dealer auction for $ 5,000, hits 140 easy, and don't even feels like it, I have spent over $4,500 fixing it, I replace the drive shaft re-manufacture $800.00 the dealer wanted $2200.00, the guibo at the same time $450.00, front & rear rotors, new brake pads, struts, but seats don't work properly, valve cover gaskets, right arm, transmission mount, and motor mount $800.00, front temp. Sensor, side covers, and right now the front fan has a fast winding noise, when the a/c comes on, I don't how much thats going to cost.

Favorite Features

fast, nice looking, no problem riding on the freeway,

Suggested Improvements

seat motors, and cables, cup holders, cd changer,improve the drive shaft , the car has a lot of torque for the drive shaft, torque is fine.

Awesome ride without a beverage
By db

2002 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sport Wagon (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Overall an awesome ride that sacrifices comfort for performance. If you want to sit on a couch while driving get a 7 series! I love this car, and it moves pretty fast! I thought gas consumption would be worse than it actually is with the 4.4 v8, but not too bad I guess? I love the lines of the car, and get many compliments from people as well. I feel safe in the car, as I have kids, many great safety features to reassure the feeling. This car is very durable and fast (2nd mention), I forget I'm driving a family station wagon at times!

Favorite Features

Performance! All disguised in a station wagon! I have kept up on repairs although a bit spendy, the experience to me is well worth the money!

Suggested Improvements

others mentioned spaces accessible to the driver such as storage around/in the console, glove box, and even in the door cubbyholes. Yeah, I've busted the crappy cup holder and replaced it once so far as they are flimsy and poorly designed.

One year anniversary
By 3sons66

2002 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sport Wagon (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

One word to describe this car: FUN One word to describe reliability: STINKS BMW for the past year has meant "Bring More Wrenches" in my case...but there is something about this car I absolutely love. Incredible handling and power. Replaced in the last twelve months: Water pump, radiator, pulleys, belts, valve cover gaskets, plugs all total about $1500 plus. Do research on forums to reduce annual maintenance costs..MANY DIY's for items replaced. I am amazed that a $65000 car needs this much attention only after 70K short miles. Looks like rear air suspension will be on the list for 2010. Easy fix though. Would I buy again? Probably not. Hope the new ones rank a little higher.

Favorite Features

POWER...POWER and POWER Cargo Room (awesome) Ease of changing my own oil (filter located up top) Multiple bimmer forums to fix things myself. Handling Quality materials inside.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability Why do I have to replace 1/2 of the major engine components after 70,000 miles? Rear gate struts. Auto adjustable headlights (break)

A Keeper...
By RolandP

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This has been a remarkable car since the day I purchased it. Great car for long trips. It still delivers 29+ mpg with premium fuel. The manual transmission provides everything I expected. The car is steady and responsive.

Favorite Features

Auto door locks upon reaching 5 or 10 mph. Cruise control and audio controls on the steering wheel adds to luxury convenience.

Suggested Improvements

None.