Used 2002 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

The best of both worlds.
By gallois

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Euro Delivery on a 525Ti is the way to experience the capabilities of this car without looking in the mirror for black and whites. Pick up the car in Munich, it's ready to go, fully insured for 30 days, a tank of gas and no restrictions, plus you save 7% off the US price. The car is a dream, sports suspension, tiptronic shifter and adaptive controls make driving a pleasure. On a French road a dog ran out at 60mph+, I hit the brakes thinking new hood ornament, the car stopped so fast my wife didn't have time to scream ! The dog walked away. The 525Ti takes the biscuit. I should have known this when I noticed Munich cops in 5 wagons as standard issue.

Self leveling suspension, makes roundabouts a straight line.

Move the cup holders to behind the gear shift, where they are located now they completely obstruct the climate controls. Move the emergency & door lock buttons to a vertical location (see cup holders above) our small dog sets off the alarm every time he moves from front to back.

expensive fun
By kirkd1

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My expectations of this car have been met. It's fun to drive and is the most comfortable seat in the house. My bad back hurts in just about everything except my sport seats. I hate the noise I now have from the tires that started at about 10k miles and its getting worse. Those low profile tires aren’t all bad though helping turn-in that makes me smile when I need a little rush. I’m disappointed in the “slipping clutch” of the A/T. The upgraded sport steering wheel is mainly plastic and it stares me in the face. The in-cabin entertainment I paid extra for could sound better and have an in-dash changer.

Always ready when you want to play. Solid construction leads to wonderful turn-in and still has a very comfortable ride. My last BMW had no rattles out to 213k miles and I expect the same from this one.

Re-design the dash. No plastic steering wheels. Update the standard and premium stereos. Give us some CD storage space. Add sunshade extensions to the visors. Include adjustable lumbar support in sport seats too. Xenon high beams too. Use black carpet in all color interiors.

BMW 540i 6 Speed - The best sports sedan
By Peter J

2002 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

The BMW 5 series has always been excellent and the current model introduced in 1997 is no exception. This is a quiet sophisticated car that has amazing performance. The 6 Speed manual transmission can be a little baulky when cold but once she is warmed, this car is phenomenal. As is the case with most BMW's (I have owned 6) speed is achieved with little fuss and the turbine like drive in the back never gives up, right up to maximum speed you can get away with. The car is, without doubt, one of the finest cars on the road. The interior is a little dated now, but this car is still a winner with build quality to match.

Superb build quality, handling and engines (especially the 3.0 litre and 4.4 litres).

Improved trunk space, updated interior to reflect the sporting character and slightly more leg room in the rear.

Get this car
By wagonman

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The car is awesome. Smooth and powerful. Sports car lurking under a sleek station wagon. Get the 5 speed manual transmission to experience BMW technology.

Smooth powerful acceleration

Widen sport steering wheel so it doesn't obstruct view with seat in higher position.

A Dream
By tlffxhouston

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car is a joy to drive and has an exterior design that is plainly beautiful. The interior's design is average and the comfort is average. However, the driving the 530 is pure fun and comfort, with a stronge feeling of safety.

The engine, exterior looks, and handling.

The cup holders are a joke and city gas mileage is horrible.