Used 2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Save your money
By TeeMo

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Reading the other reviews,I wonder if I was sold a completely different car. First,the seats are so deeply contoured that the left bolster interferes with comfortable shifting. My leg goes to sleep after about 30 minutes. If I get the steering wheel in a comfortable place, I can no longer see the instrument panel. The shifter is sloppy and the clutch has no definite point of engagement. The upper gear ratios are so close that it is hard to tell which gear I am in. Combined with that is the fact that 1st gear is so tall that I am at redline not much above 20 mph.

Favorite Features

It does, however, have a nice sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Do not allow anyone who has owned a real performance car to buy this one. The car ploughs in turns with noticable understeer. With the autolock feature implemented when I want to exit the car, I have to pull the handle twice.

I'd buy it again
By sezme2

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

My next automobile will be the M5 vs. S500, until then, this machine is more than adequate. I'd love a roadster type, but they're too impractical for a family-man. I chose this car for it's stellar passive safety ratings (checkout hywsafety. org) and its ability to handle precisely to actively avoid a collision. My wife had not been an auto-phile, but this car has made her passionate about driving.

Favorite Features

Power, power, power. Silky smooth shifts, with fairly good intuition to where I'd shift if manual. It looks beautiful.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders are embarrassingly inadequate for an automobile of this stature. My butt is a bit too wide for the sport seats (6'1" 220lb). Carseat wont LATCH into center seat in back - have to use door seat for this.

Wow, what a car!
By Styve

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This is the best car that I have ever driven (and I have driven a lot). Fast, great handling, looks great, and room for the family. What more could one want?

Favorite Features

Engine.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Jim's 530i
By JamesHBaker

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The car is great fun to drive! I have driven more miles since I have had my 530i than I normally do. I must say that I have enjoyed every minute. If you buy a BMW, and have the time, I suggest that you take delivery at the BMW Performance Center in SC. I think it was one of the best days of my life.

Favorite Features

My car has the Sport package. The seats are very comfortable, even on long trips. The car loves the open road. It handles like a dream.

Suggested Improvements

I hate to be just one more - but, the cup holders are not good.

Impeccable German engineering
By bimmerphile

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had my 530i/5-sp with PP/Xenon/fold-down seat for 18 months, and it has been a real blast. Contrary to what other reviewers might have suggested, the standard non-sports suspension on these cars are extremely capable, and does ride on rails on experienced hands. The clutch is a piece of car(again, for those who are trained). The engine pitch is so sweet and smooth that you can upshift and rev- match telepathically. Heel-to-toe can be a bit difficult, unless the brake is almost fully depressed. In addition, the non-sports car is so QUIET that I can hear the fast breathing of the passengers! :-)

Favorite Features

Smooth Inline six; firm manual transmission; super quiet interior; impeccable exterior styling. It blends sports and luxury flawlessly, a genuine ultimate driving machine.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholder; indash 6-CD changer