Used 2002 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

My First BMW - The 525IA
By Stan Davidson

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I am a car lover, and own 4 cars. The BMW is the most refined of any car I have ever owned. Excellent service with only oil changes and routine maintenance required. The comfort and handling are very good.

The brakes are extremely effective. The 525I is the smallest displacement of the 5 series, I'm satisfied but would consider the 530I for the extra horsepower.

The only criticism of the car is the poor layout for the drink holders, but I have been told a car like this is to drive and enjoy not to drink in.

A blast to drive Rocket Wagon
By JDMartin

2002 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sport Wagon (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This car has plenty of room to carry whatever you need, but with the driving pleasure of a sports car. A long time luxury SUV driver (Grand Cherokee, Denali XL), I wanted a car that handled better for a change. This is definitely the one. It is definitely nice to look at, and if you take this car out on your favorite windy road you will experience complete exhilaration.

Nicely appointed. Comfort seats are terrific. Great digital sound system. GPS is great too. The acceleration and handling are the coup de gras.

For some stupid reason the center console does not provide any storage - simply an oversized arm rest. Guzzles gas like nobody's business, especially in sport mode, but you don't buy a car like this for good gas mileage.

loving the autobahn
By back2backbimmers

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I drive my 530i(sports premium,18" wheels) from Heidelberg to Frankfurt on a weekly basis. One word..exhilarating. If performance,quality ride, and luxury is what you want, then this is the car to buy. All I can say is that I love to see the "unlimited speed" signs.

Handling, ride, and overall performance

Take away the govern. This car is meant to be driven fast...I should say faster.

540 i
By jasonpate

2002 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

this is quite simply the best car i have ever driven. the look, feel, finish, and quality are all top notch. the responsiveness, acceleration, handling, and overall build quality are unmatched. i would purchase this vehicle again tomorrow if given the chance.

navigation system, stereo system, sport package

cup holders fit only reg. size cans, fuel economy

Good Stuff
By jakedogdog

2002 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Great car. This is the third BMW I have had the privelege to own. The first two were both 328i's. I loved the way they drove, but they were too small. I ended up in this car as I got a good deal on it, and it's even better than the 328's. It's a great size (the back seats in the 3's are just too small) without being too big. I wish it did not feel quite so heavy - but it's a price I'm willing to pay.

6 spd is great. Wish the highest gear were a bit higher for better high speed cruising - but, then, I suppose that clocking in somewhere over 2300 rpm at 80 mph isn't THAT bad.

The cupholders are plain tragic. Why are they even there? How about an OFF button for the auto climate control?

• SUV