Used 2002 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

A 5 that's almost a 10
By BoyOboi78

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

had an Acura TL but didn't want another one. had a 99 Audi A6 and had nothing but problems, so no more Audi's for me . tried out a Mercedes Benz E320, nice car but didn't seem to ride as nice, handle as well, or be smoother or quieter then the 5, plus the price and value didn't seem to be worth it. The Lexus GS300 was also another nice car i drove, but was to underdamped in my opinion and didn't feel as refined as in closing the doors or the trunk like the solidness of the 5 series. Jaguar S type, well basically build in partner ship with ford and kinda screamed cheap from a few of its parts. the 5 series has the right combination of an upscale luxury car

Favorite Features

steering very precise but not twitchy. excellent handling, turning radius,smooth,quiet and supple ride, auto climate control always providing quick cold air, love the exterior design and, very comfortable seats and interior lay out, DSP sound system is worth every penny

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are a joke BMW can do much better then this, would be nice if rear seats had airvents not only in center console but in the B pillars also like some M-B E class and new BMW 745i's

Beautiful!
By jiggly

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The title says it all

Favorite Features

everything

Suggested Improvements

nothing

one word: problems
By DallasDriver

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I love the car (525i with M sports package manual) when I actually get to drive it and when it works. It spent more time in the service dept than with me (hence the low mileage). The svc. dept. rep. knows me on a first name basis. Took it twice for the air bag light; once for a problem with the driver's seat; 4 times for a clutch problem (which has not been solved yet). I'm in the process of looking for a new car. Definitely NOT a BMW.

Favorite Features

Handling and ride

Suggested Improvements

quality. this is a luxury car, in its last year for this model, it should not have this many problems.

My First BMW - The 525IA
By Stan Davidson

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I am a car lover, and own 4 cars. The BMW is the most refined of any car I have ever owned. Excellent service with only oil changes and routine maintenance required. The comfort and handling are very good.

Favorite Features

The brakes are extremely effective. The 525I is the smallest displacement of the 5 series, I'm satisfied but would consider the 530I for the extra horsepower.

Suggested Improvements

The only criticism of the car is the poor layout for the drink holders, but I have been told a car like this is to drive and enjoy not to drink in.

A blast to drive Rocket Wagon
By JDMartin

2002 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sport Wagon (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This car has plenty of room to carry whatever you need, but with the driving pleasure of a sports car. A long time luxury SUV driver (Grand Cherokee, Denali XL), I wanted a car that handled better for a change. This is definitely the one. It is definitely nice to look at, and if you take this car out on your favorite windy road you will experience complete exhilaration.

Favorite Features

Nicely appointed. Comfort seats are terrific. Great digital sound system. GPS is great too. The acceleration and handling are the coup de gras.

Suggested Improvements

For some stupid reason the center console does not provide any storage - simply an oversized arm rest. Guzzles gas like nobody's business, especially in sport mode, but you don't buy a car like this for good gas mileage.