2002 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
The best
By headcracker on 06/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I tried everything in this class, and a manual was a must. The A6 biturbo, very nice but not an equal. The M5, well I still think about it. 500 miles a tank on the road. With the fold down rear seat it does better than I expected. Could not however have dealt with the trunk without the fold down rear seats. Did I buy this car to drink while driving!!!!!!!! I really don't care about the cupholders. Simply the best 4 door car in the world. Gas mileage is much better than anticipated, car now 10 months old and I have averaged 21.8 overall.

Great Car
By Aiblinger on 06/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I waited until Feb 2001 to order my 530i with the 5spd. I didn't want a sunroof so I had to go to the 5 Series Program Manger at BMWNA to get what I wanted. It's a great car, just plain fun to drive. You're always looking for the winding road. The torque is ride across the power band.

What a Car!!!
By Mc-Queeney on 06/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is the best, most fun car I have ever owned. I have owned Lexus and Mercedes. This BMW is better. Mostly, itÂ’s fun to drive. Now want a longer commute. The Steptronic Transmission is a dream. You can roar around shifting like a race diver or cruise relaxed in auto mode. The throaty purr of that engine is music to my ears. You are at 100 mph in seconds and it tracks straight and true with great confidence at speed. Fit and finish quality is superb. The Xenon headlights really do make night driving easier. My recommendation is to spend the extra $10-$15K to get a car that will take you beyond transportation; its an experience!

Why did I wait so long...
By New Bimmer Lover on 06/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Toiling along with domestic sedans and import SUVs, I waited too long to shop for a BMW sedan. Better late than never. The 530 is a great car. Fun to drive is an understatement. I tested all of the 5 series sedans, and the 530 was the goldilocks of the bunch for me. 525 a little too weak, 540 a little too strong (for my needs - it is a great car, but I live a few thousand miles from the autobahn). My 530 has the sport and premium packages, which I highly recommend. This is without a doubt the most responsive car I have ever driven. Safety features are very comforting.

BEWARE!!
By Dan Phillips on 06/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Got my 540--at first overjoyed, then probs began. Clutch issues, then a REPLACED trans. at 18K mi.!! For a loaner, I repeatedly got a Hundai!! Astounding!! It happened to my brother, too. BMW never showed me any appreciation of my investment or expectation. Insulting! a I've heard it before, now I know. Be careful. New clutch for 2 grand??? And still the trans. never worked right. It became pathetic. Ended lease early.

Too much fun!?
By No. 1 bmw fan on 06/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Here's what I can offer to anyone looking to buy: The car phone reception is so-so and the installed easthetic is less you expect. Pass on it. Expect alot of looks. It doesn't scream expensive like a Mercedes, but people in the know know what they're looking at. The back seats are more comfortable than the fronts of most vehicles. The front seats are the most comfortable you'll ever experience. Self-levelling headlamps, lowering mirror when reversing, window shades and beeping when the car has something it wants to make you aware of. A big cash outlay and the feeling it was worth every penny.

525i Sport Premium Package
By Spine Doc on 05/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my first BMW in December 2001, a 2002 525i sedan 5 speed with Sport Package (M-technic suspension, 17 inch rims, 3 spoke steering wheel with controls)Premium interior leather seats, cold weather package, 6 CD player in trunk, tinted windows, M- spoiler on trunk. Silver exterior on Black interior. Look no further, this car does it all... Its elegant lines turns heads everywhere I go, it's very quick, handles incredibly and is built like a tank. Highway speeds can't satiate this cars desire to go fast! If only my friends would stop asking to take it for the weekend!

Fun fun fun til wife takes the bmw away
By shortyusa on 05/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

My 540i drives like its on rail road tracks. Fast, takes curves like no other sedan. Build is great. Sound of the engine can make a grown man cry with joy. Cost is only about 10k too high. But there is no car that comes close for less than 80k. Why could BMW not make a better cup holder?? Come on Herman it just has to hold a darn cup from McDonalds!!

Cheetah on the autobahn
By Jim Reed on 05/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

The car is impeccable in quality, fit and finish and a pleasure to drive. She easily accelerates to 125 mph and continues to climb effortlessly from 140. I pushed the accelerate button from 140 and it took off like most cars do from 65. The factory limit is 156 mph. At this speed the car is very stable although imperfections in the roadway, absence of road crowning and non-banked curves on the autobahn become apparent. At 156 mph she turns 4500 rpm, well below the peak hp of 5500 and below the redline of 5750. Theoretically the car could do 190 but you would need a good road. Write me if you have any doubts about the thrill of driving this car.

The Fantastic 530i A
By langar on 05/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have always wanted a beemer and finally got my new 530i w/A, SP, PP, Kalahari Beige, in October and have never looked back. I have never driven a better car. Handling is fantastic and comfort on long drive is amazing. It is great to drive on the back country roads where you can experience the great handling and performance. I have 11,000 trouble free miles and even get great gas mileage on extended road trips. 1000 miles to Branson resulted in 29 mpg. which is great when you consider its performance.