Used 2002 BMW 5 Series 525i Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Money pit
By happyharps

2002 BMW 5 Series Wagon 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car is really fun to drive, when it will drive. It has been a money pit. We have had many electrical problems. We have had the dealership repair it, just to have more electrical problems. The interior design is poor as far as convinience goes (lack of a good drink holder), tiny seats in the back, not a lot of space on passenger side for legs and knees, etc. It has great pick up, the transmission is smooth, you can drive 120 mph and feel like your going 65mph. This car really is fun to drive, but it has so many machanical and electrical problems. Wish I hadn't purchased this car.

Favorite Features

I like the power, and the sleek exterior. I like the smooth transmission, and the versitility of the wagon style.

Suggested Improvements

Electrical problems are non stop! I would prefer front wheel drive, thought I could get away with rear wheel, but front wheel or all wheel would be better. Cup holders are awful, they are weak and flimsy. Rear center seat is tiny, hardly big enough for a kindergartner, and not at all big enough for a boost seat.

Excellent after all these years!
By codysd

2002 BMW 5 Series Wagon 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

We have had ours over 3 years, purchased CPO. We have had several very high end cars, a new BMW 530 sedan now, etc., but this 2002 wagon is the one we will always keep. It is virtually perfect in every way, looks very sporty, drives like a rocket, is incredibly reliable and we NEVER get tired of driving it. It is a keeper!

Favorite Features

Style in and out, feel and drive, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Usual cupholder topic-that is it!

Excellent
By Exper. Car Consumer

2002 BMW 5 Series Wagon 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Have owned for almost two years - should have bought a new one years ago when I had the chance. Excellent reliability, mileage, fun, sport driving, beautiful race car wagon. Feels like it is carved out of one solid piece of metal, I have never owned a car so solid before and I have owned most all high end luxury cars.

Favorite Features

Feels like it is glued to the road. It still turns heads as it looks like new and drives like it is brand new. It is a perfect combo. of a practical car with a sport car look and feel. It is the one car I have never become tired of owning/driving. Excellent mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders and that is it.

Wagons are Back
By Kelly

2002 BMW 5 Series Wagon 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Love driving the 525 wagon. It has the utility of an SUV with better gas mileage, lower insurance rates, and great handling & performance. Always have sufficient power when needed. Originally bought the wagon for our dog (in our 20s, no kids), but now wouldn't go without a BMW wagon! Would have never expected strangers to stop us on the street complimenting a wagon, but this happens frequently. We're already planning an upgrade to the '08 535xi Sports Wagon!

Favorite Features

Tons of space, but never feels like you're driving a large car. Seats fold down flush and have always been able to carry long & oversized purchases from IKEA, Home Depot, etc. Heated seats always nice. Cargo net behind rear seat that unrolls and secures into ceiling to keep dog in back.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders are lacking, but bought a nifty aftermarket cupholder that folds down into the center console.

Disappointing
By Anonymous

2002 BMW 5 Series Wagon 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Given the uniformly positive reviews on the e39 body 5-series, I was prepared to love this car. But it has been so disappointing that I'm considering selling it after five months of ownership. The problem is simple -- and no it's not the cupholders, which I agree are flimsy but they don't bother me. It's the constant and apparently unfixable creaks, squeaks, and rattles from the doors, the rear hatch, the seats, etc. (I've had it in at the dealer several times.) Also disappointing is the junky sound of the doors when slammed closed. Of the about 10 cars I've owned, this is one of the biggest bucket of bolts of the lot. If I could go back in time, I would NOT have bought this car.

Favorite Features

The performance is good, the engine is responsive and smooth, and the car looks great. The sport seats are firm, but endlessly adjustable and quite comfortable. The aftermarket iPod integration with the stock stereo is wonderful.

Suggested Improvements

The interior trim is so junky and noisy as to make the car nearly undrivable. The doors clatter when shut like an old Camaro, and squeak and shudder over bumps. I honestly can't believe others haven't noticed and/or reported on this.