2002 BMW 5 Series Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Money pit
By happyharps on 01/20/12 10:30 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 5 Series Wagon 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car is really fun to drive, when it will drive. It has been a money pit. We have had many electrical problems. We have had the dealership repair it, just to have more electrical problems. The interior design is poor as far as convinience goes (lack of a good drink holder), tiny seats in the back, not a lot of space on passenger side for legs and knees, etc. It has great pick up, the transmission is smooth, you can drive 120 mph and feel like your going 65mph. This car really is fun to drive, but it has so many machanical and electrical problems. Wish I hadn't purchased this car.

Excellent after all these years!
By codysd on 01/08/09 20:05 PM (PST)

2002 BMW 5 Series Wagon 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

We have had ours over 3 years, purchased CPO. We have had several very high end cars, a new BMW 530 sedan now, etc., but this 2002 wagon is the one we will always keep. It is virtually perfect in every way, looks very sporty, drives like a rocket, is incredibly reliable and we NEVER get tired of driving it. It is a keeper!

Excellent
By Exper. Car Consumer on 06/03/08 19:18 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series Wagon 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Have owned for almost two years - should have bought a new one years ago when I had the chance. Excellent reliability, mileage, fun, sport driving, beautiful race car wagon. Feels like it is carved out of one solid piece of metal, I have never owned a car so solid before and I have owned most all high end luxury cars.

Wagons are Back
By Kelly on 02/25/08 20:35 PM (PST)

2002 BMW 5 Series Wagon 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Love driving the 525 wagon. It has the utility of an SUV with better gas mileage, lower insurance rates, and great handling & performance. Always have sufficient power when needed. Originally bought the wagon for our dog (in our 20s, no kids), but now wouldn't go without a BMW wagon! Would have never expected strangers to stop us on the street complimenting a wagon, but this happens frequently. We're already planning an upgrade to the '08 535xi Sports Wagon!

Disappointing
By Anonymous on 02/05/06 01:08 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 5 Series Wagon 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Given the uniformly positive reviews on the e39 body 5-series, I was prepared to love this car. But it has been so disappointing that I'm considering selling it after five months of ownership. The problem is simple -- and no it's not the cupholders, which I agree are flimsy but they don't bother me. It's the constant and apparently unfixable creaks, squeaks, and rattles from the doors, the rear hatch, the seats, etc. (I've had it in at the dealer several times.) Also disappointing is the junky sound of the doors when slammed closed. Of the about 10 cars I've owned, this is one of the biggest bucket of bolts of the lot. If I could go back in time, I would NOT have bought this car.

2002 525i Wagon
By Bobby Jo Pinardi on 12/28/04 13:00 PM (PST)

2002 BMW 5 Series Wagon 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

A car built for a driver. Corners beautifully, comfortable on trips and in town.

Death by cupholder rage
By thassarodge on 01/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 5 Series Wagon 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Best car there is. I bought it in Germany, took it down the Autobahn, got it up to 140 mph. Car sat on the road rock solid and seemed to say to me "Now what?" It wanted to go faster but speed limiter said no. This car is awesome and the curves are gorgeous. The blue color looks wonderful at night, but kind of blah purply in bright sunlight. The seats are comfortable and the instrumentation is logically placed. Only bad thing is the cupholders are absolute crap. Won't even hold a soda can - BMW should not have put them in if they couldn't design them right. One of mine is alread broken from holding my narrow-based coffee cup.

The best of both worlds.
By gallois on 02/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 5 Series Wagon 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Euro Delivery on a 525Ti is the way to experience the capabilities of this car without looking in the mirror for black and whites. Pick up the car in Munich, it's ready to go, fully insured for 30 days, a tank of gas and no restrictions, plus you save 7% off the US price. The car is a dream, sports suspension, tiptronic shifter and adaptive controls make driving a pleasure. On a French road a dog ran out at 60mph+, I hit the brakes thinking new hood ornament, the car stopped so fast my wife didn't have time to scream ! The dog walked away. The 525Ti takes the biscuit. I should have known this when I noticed Munich cops in 5 wagons as standard issue.

Get this car
By wagonman on 01/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 5 Series Wagon 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The car is awesome. Smooth and powerful. Sports car lurking under a sleek station wagon. Get the 5 speed manual transmission to experience BMW technology.

My 5-Speed Wagon
By Sharkey on 01/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 5 Series Wagon 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Apparently a stick-shift BMW 5-series is a tough sell in Los Angeles. So, I landed a good deal on the car. It is equipped with both the Sport and Premium package, Xenon headlights, and Park Distance Control. After owning Japanese luxury cars, you notice the lack of amenities like a center console, extra sunvisors with extensions (the 5-series sunvisors can't really be utilized to shade the driver's side window), an auto-dimming rear-view mirror, and an in-dash CD changer. The sport seats can be tough on your left thigh when clutching. All that aside, it's the best-handling, highest quality wagon I've ever owned.