Used 2002 BMW 5 Series 530i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Bmw 5-series - Consumer Reviews

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Most Helpful|
Suprised at the poor quality from BMW
By lisa112

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned my BWM for 6 years and have been disappointed with the reliability and the quality of the interior. The cupholders broke early on because they are cheap plastic. There are controls on the panel that are falling apart. The LCD panel is almost completely burned out and I can't see what radio station or time it is. Even the odometer and gas mileage readout is starting to burn out. BMW told me it would be about $2000 to fix it. I am so surprised that a $50,000 car doesn't have better quality materials. I have also been disappointed with the reliability. Last year I spent about $4,000 on repairs. I won't buy another BWM.

Trade it before it goes out of warranty
By Samuel Reese

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I own a 2002 530i purchased in 2005 with 34k miles. After 100k interior cooling fan burned out and short circuited my electronics $1500. Rear door gaskets went bad $500. Transmission failed $4500 used. Had to replace the guibo. Passenger window regulator replaced then drivers window regulator failed. Within 2 yrs drivers side failed again.Inner and outer tie rods have been replaced 3 times. Both seat motors no longer work. Windshield wiper motor burned out twice. Fan clutch failed. Of course the cup holders broke before 100k and radio display you can't read.Even doing the majority of the work myself the car is a money pit. Now I have 213k and want to sell it. No characters left to list all.

Favorite Features

Body style never ages still looks good. Very fun car to drive good power and handles very well.

Suggested Improvements

Build with better quality parts. Consumers pay too much money for a car that is so cheaply put together.

A Keeper...
By RolandP

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This has been a remarkable car since the day I purchased it. Great car for long trips. It still delivers 29+ mpg with premium fuel. The manual transmission provides everything I expected. The car is steady and responsive.

Favorite Features

Auto door locks upon reaching 5 or 10 mph. Cruise control and audio controls on the steering wheel adds to luxury convenience.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Wondering which way to go???
By Mark Shaw

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned my BMW for 4 years now - grey with sport pkg. Love the drive as I used to own a 1988 535i. After the mechanic called me today with a radiator/fan bearing replacement bill, I almost went out to trade it in. I have had a series of small issues with the car: dash pixels, xenon light failure, oil leaks, rubber dipstick boot oil leak, and more...I have 102K miles on the car but wondering if I should cut my losses and move on to newer...positive is that it has ALWAYS started like a charm...maybe I've replaced most of the parts that can wear over time...

Favorite Features

Ride, handling, looks, rims on sport package, steering wheel, interior feel, ease of use, key opens all windows when hot, power.

Suggested Improvements

Nickle and dime stuff, cup holders, blind spot, low front spoiler.

Open your wallet
By loberant

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Love the car, but it breaks every 3000 miles. Both power seats needed new wiring, radiator, alarm sensor, bushings?, brake sensors, trans went into fail safe, glove box broke, oil leaks, and some other things I can't remember. This all happened in the last 15,000 miles. My vehicle currently has 75,000 miles on it. Drives great though, cannot compare. Love the look and its true class. But THIS IS NOT a reliable car. Purchase a Honda/Acura/Lexus/Toyota/Subaru if you want reliable.

Favorite Features

The feel! The look! The Sound!

Suggested Improvements

A metal radiator would be a good start.