Used 2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Bmw 5-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Trade it before it goes out of warranty
By Samuel Reese

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I own a 2002 530i purchased in 2005 with 34k miles. After 100k interior cooling fan burned out and short circuited my electronics $1500. Rear door gaskets went bad $500. Transmission failed $4500 used. Had to replace the guibo. Passenger window regulator replaced then drivers window regulator failed. Within 2 yrs drivers side failed again.Inner and outer tie rods have been replaced 3 times. Both seat motors no longer work. Windshield wiper motor burned out twice. Fan clutch failed. Of course the cup holders broke before 100k and radio display you can't read.Even doing the majority of the work myself the car is a money pit. Now I have 213k and want to sell it. No characters left to list all.

Favorite Features

Body style never ages still looks good. Very fun car to drive good power and handles very well.

Suggested Improvements

Build with better quality parts. Consumers pay too much money for a car that is so cheaply put together.

Fantastic Car
By archer_r

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned this car for about 3 years and it still impresses me by its performance, handling, and comfort. The engine has ample power throughout the entire rev range. You could be cruising in 5th gear at 1500 RPM and it will still pull when you put your foot down. The car also rides very well. The ride is stiff yet comfrotable. You definately feel the road well and feel every bump, but it's never uncomfrotable. The steering is also nice as well. It really makes you feel connected to the road, which is something some modern cars lack. For being a mid-sized sedan, this car really handles well. You can definately take corners with a lot of confidence in this car.

Favorite Features

I love the design of this car, inside and out. Xenon headlamps with halo lights look beautiful. Very spacious interior. Very luxurious inside. Dual zone climate control. Easy controls. The engine is powerful, but this car is actually very fuel efficient. I average 24 mpg city and 32 mpg highway! Favorite thing about this car by far is that it's fun to drive!

Suggested Improvements

Electronics of this car are not reliable at all. The motor for the power seats on my car doens't work at all. I've replaced the rear passenger power window motor and it went bad again after 3 weeks. ABS module and Traction Control module went bad and had to fix those. Lastly, this car has the worst designed cup holders I have ever seen. I rather they just made the car without cupholders than made these honestly. One last complaint is that this car is prone to burn oil whenever you take it at highway speeds. It's nothing drastic, but definately something to keep an eye on.

Suprised at the poor quality from BMW
By lisa112

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned my BWM for 6 years and have been disappointed with the reliability and the quality of the interior. The cupholders broke early on because they are cheap plastic. There are controls on the panel that are falling apart. The LCD panel is almost completely burned out and I can't see what radio station or time it is. Even the odometer and gas mileage readout is starting to burn out. BMW told me it would be about $2000 to fix it. I am so surprised that a $50,000 car doesn't have better quality materials. I have also been disappointed with the reliability. Last year I spent about $4,000 on repairs. I won't buy another BWM.

Buy the extended warranty
By Robert

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the car with 19K on it. within a week it had a complete electronic failure and lost all systems. Fortunately it was under warranty. Since then, have has several expensive repairs, expansion tank, radiator, Alternator, secondary cooling fan, and miscellaneous other repairs. Always over $500 per visit. Nice car but always something breaking.

Favorite Features

the handling is great. No sense of speed.

Suggested Improvements

reliability. This car has had too many issues. if it was not paid for I would have traded it in. I do not think I would buy BMW again. Go Acura.

100,000 miles
By Gary

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have thoroughly enjoyed this car. I have owned VWs, MB, American made cars, etc. This car has been the most fun on a daily basis. Even with the mileage topping 100k, it is still fun to drive. In shopping for a new vehicle, it is hard to find something that compares to the over-all driving experience. The only complaint is that at 100k, all sorts of gremlins have come out to play. Major and expensive repairs have been necessary. This is NOT a maintanence free vehicle, especially at higher miles.

Favorite Features

The over-all experience. The solid feel, the great look.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are of course awful. The back seat is a little cramped. The unreliability of the mechanical parts now that it has reached 100k.