2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Fantastic Car
By archer_r on 10/13/14 14:43 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned this car for about 3 years and it still impresses me by its performance, handling, and comfort. The engine has ample power throughout the entire rev range. You could be cruising in 5th gear at 1500 RPM and it will still pull when you put your foot down. The car also rides very well. The ride is stiff yet comfrotable. You definately feel the road well and feel every bump, but it's never uncomfrotable. The steering is also nice as well. It really makes you feel connected to the road, which is something some modern cars lack. For being a mid-sized sedan, this car really handles well. You can definately take corners with a lot of confidence in this car.

Suprised at the poor quality from BMW
By lisa112 on 01/08/12 09:38 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned my BWM for 6 years and have been disappointed with the reliability and the quality of the interior. The cupholders broke early on because they are cheap plastic. There are controls on the panel that are falling apart. The LCD panel is almost completely burned out and I can't see what radio station or time it is. Even the odometer and gas mileage readout is starting to burn out. BMW told me it would be about $2000 to fix it. I am so surprised that a $50,000 car doesn't have better quality materials. I have also been disappointed with the reliability. Last year I spent about $4,000 on repairs. I won't buy another BWM.

Buy the extended warranty
By Robert on 11/15/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the car with 19K on it. within a week it had a complete electronic failure and lost all systems. Fortunately it was under warranty. Since then, have has several expensive repairs, expansion tank, radiator, Alternator, secondary cooling fan, and miscellaneous other repairs. Always over $500 per visit. Nice car but always something breaking.

100,000 miles
By Gary on 08/24/10 13:50 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have thoroughly enjoyed this car. I have owned VWs, MB, American made cars, etc. This car has been the most fun on a daily basis. Even with the mileage topping 100k, it is still fun to drive. In shopping for a new vehicle, it is hard to find something that compares to the over-all driving experience. The only complaint is that at 100k, all sorts of gremlins have come out to play. Major and expensive repairs have been necessary. This is NOT a maintanence free vehicle, especially at higher miles.

Fast and is Comfortable
By jpardo on 08/20/10 04:42 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this car at a dealer auction for $ 5,000, hits 140 easy, and don't even feels like it, I have spent over $4,500 fixing it, I replace the drive shaft re-manufacture $800.00 the dealer wanted $2200.00, the guibo at the same time $450.00, front & rear rotors, new brake pads, struts, but seats don't work properly, valve cover gaskets, right arm, transmission mount, and motor mount $800.00, front temp. Sensor, side covers, and right now the front fan has a fast winding noise, when the a/c comes on, I don't how much thats going to cost.

A Keeper...
By RolandP on 10/26/09 06:37 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This has been a remarkable car since the day I purchased it. Great car for long trips. It still delivers 29+ mpg with premium fuel. The manual transmission provides everything I expected. The car is steady and responsive.

Open your wallet
By loberant on 10/05/09 12:40 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Love the car, but it breaks every 3000 miles. Both power seats needed new wiring, radiator, alarm sensor, bushings?, brake sensors, trans went into fail safe, glove box broke, oil leaks, and some other things I can't remember. This all happened in the last 15,000 miles. My vehicle currently has 75,000 miles on it. Drives great though, cannot compare. Love the look and its true class. But THIS IS NOT a reliable car. Purchase a Honda/Acura/Lexus/Toyota/Subaru if you want reliable.

Wondering which way to go???
By Mark Shaw on 08/31/09 16:02 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned my BMW for 4 years now - grey with sport pkg. Love the drive as I used to own a 1988 535i. After the mechanic called me today with a radiator/fan bearing replacement bill, I almost went out to trade it in. I have had a series of small issues with the car: dash pixels, xenon light failure, oil leaks, rubber dipstick boot oil leak, and more...I have 102K miles on the car but wondering if I should cut my losses and move on to newer...positive is that it has ALWAYS started like a charm...maybe I've replaced most of the parts that can wear over time...

Fun car
By Me on 08/16/09 08:49 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this car with the six speed manual and it is fun to drive. She'll go 140 before you know it. On road trips I can break 30 mpg on the highway but city is closer to 15 mpg. However BMW quality is gone. I've had replace the water pump, radiator, a few parts in the drivers seat, sunroof, and lately the battery keeps dying and no one can figure out why.

My last BMW
By Jordan on 07/21/09 16:13 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Great experience up to the time the warranty ran out. Purchased my car new in October of 2002. After the warranty expired at 50K it was in the shop about every month and each trip was about $700, after my $200 sympathy discount. I by-passed the $1200 front passenger seat dual motor replacement and had them just lock the seat and disconnect the motors. It was one thing after another. The only way I would ever have another BMW is on a 3 year lease and get rid of it as soon as it is over 50,000 miles. Otherwise I loved it.