2002 BMW 5 Series 3.0L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

2002 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

530i Sedan (3.0L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Fantastic Car
By archer_r on 10/13/14 14:43 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned this car for about 3 years and it still impresses me by its performance, handling, and comfort. The engine has ample power throughout the entire rev range. You could be cruising in 5th gear at 1500 RPM and it will still pull when you put your foot down. The car also rides very well. The ride is stiff yet comfrotable. You definately feel the road well and feel every bump, but it's never uncomfrotable. The steering is also nice as well. It really makes you feel connected to the road, which is something some modern cars lack. For being a mid-sized sedan, this car really handles well. You can definately take corners with a lot of confidence in this car.

Suprised at the poor quality from BMW
By lisa112 on 01/08/12 09:38 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned my BWM for 6 years and have been disappointed with the reliability and the quality of the interior. The cupholders broke early on because they are cheap plastic. There are controls on the panel that are falling apart. The LCD panel is almost completely burned out and I can't see what radio station or time it is. Even the odometer and gas mileage readout is starting to burn out. BMW told me it would be about $2000 to fix it. I am so surprised that a $50,000 car doesn't have better quality materials. I have also been disappointed with the reliability. Last year I spent about $4,000 on repairs. I won't buy another BWM.

A Keeper...
By RolandP on 10/26/09 06:37 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This has been a remarkable car since the day I purchased it. Great car for long trips. It still delivers 29+ mpg with premium fuel. The manual transmission provides everything I expected. The car is steady and responsive.

Open your wallet
By loberant on 10/05/09 12:40 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Love the car, but it breaks every 3000 miles. Both power seats needed new wiring, radiator, alarm sensor, bushings?, brake sensors, trans went into fail safe, glove box broke, oil leaks, and some other things I can't remember. This all happened in the last 15,000 miles. My vehicle currently has 75,000 miles on it. Drives great though, cannot compare. Love the look and its true class. But THIS IS NOT a reliable car. Purchase a Honda/Acura/Lexus/Toyota/Subaru if you want reliable.

Wondering which way to go???
By Mark Shaw on 08/31/09 16:02 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned my BMW for 4 years now - grey with sport pkg. Love the drive as I used to own a 1988 535i. After the mechanic called me today with a radiator/fan bearing replacement bill, I almost went out to trade it in. I have had a series of small issues with the car: dash pixels, xenon light failure, oil leaks, rubber dipstick boot oil leak, and more...I have 102K miles on the car but wondering if I should cut my losses and move on to newer...positive is that it has ALWAYS started like a charm...maybe I've replaced most of the parts that can wear over time...

My 1st and probably last BMW
By Steve on 05/16/09 23:24 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my silver beauty (All German cars should be silver) "Certified Used" it had 36000 miles on the clock (Let me think for a sec... Hey! Itís a lease return) Came with full warranty to 50K. All I've had done to it is regularly scheduled maintenance; it looks, runs, and feels brand new. I said it's my last BMW because I'm 63 and it'll probably outlive me... LOL.

Don't sweat the cup holders!
By Ross on 03/17/09 17:12 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the car new and have never regretted the decision. Every option and they all continue to work for going on 8 years. I service it only at BMW and though pricey, it pays to work with the best. Fun to drive in all weather and runs like it is on rails. Great not to have the I drive and all components work like the car is new. I'd get another one but at this rate the current BMW will last another 10 years. The extra money was worth it in every way. I've added sat radio, and now it's perfect.

Truly the Ultimate Driving Machine
By RodneyD on 08/08/08 12:52 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned my 530i for only 5 months and it is truly the ultimate driving machine. This is my 3rd BMW. Previously owned a 3 and wife drives an x3. This car makes me look for the long way home. I especially look for the curvy roads. The styling is classic. The handling is outstanding. The car is just fun to drive. If you are looking for a vehicle that is a blast to drive then do yourself a favor and buy a BMW!

Really nice ride
By David Lagarde on 03/10/08 16:57 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I am 56 and haven't enjoyed driving this much since I was 19 yrs old and owned a 1997 Chevelle 396 SS. I wish I had more places to go. I can't think of any negatives.

Perfect Car
By jetjock07 on 12/17/06 10:03 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this vehicle for only 2 days, but it feels like I've had it longer. It's a beautiful car. Mine came with the black leather interior and Premium Package along with the sunshades in the rear. The car handles well, not too stiff or too cushiony. Has good power, the 525i was too slow so I got the 530i. I just wish now I had seat heaters with my car.