Used 2002 BMW 5 Series 525i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Buy the extended warranty
By Robert

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the car with 19K on it. within a week it had a complete electronic failure and lost all systems. Fortunately it was under warranty. Since then, have has several expensive repairs, expansion tank, radiator, Alternator, secondary cooling fan, and miscellaneous other repairs. Always over $500 per visit. Nice car but always something breaking.

the handling is great. No sense of speed.

reliability. This car has had too many issues. if it was not paid for I would have traded it in. I do not think I would buy BMW again. Go Acura.

100,000 miles
By Gary

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have thoroughly enjoyed this car. I have owned VWs, MB, American made cars, etc. This car has been the most fun on a daily basis. Even with the mileage topping 100k, it is still fun to drive. In shopping for a new vehicle, it is hard to find something that compares to the over-all driving experience. The only complaint is that at 100k, all sorts of gremlins have come out to play. Major and expensive repairs have been necessary. This is NOT a maintanence free vehicle, especially at higher miles.

The over-all experience. The solid feel, the great look.

Cup holders are of course awful. The back seat is a little cramped. The unreliability of the mechanical parts now that it has reached 100k.

My last BMW
By Jordan

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Great experience up to the time the warranty ran out. Purchased my car new in October of 2002. After the warranty expired at 50K it was in the shop about every month and each trip was about $700, after my $200 sympathy discount. I by-passed the $1200 front passenger seat dual motor replacement and had them just lock the seat and disconnect the motors. It was one thing after another. The only way I would ever have another BMW is on a 3 year lease and get rid of it as soon as it is over 50,000 miles. Otherwise I loved it.

Looks/performance

Too many breakdowns and too expensive to repair.

Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned Hands Down
By Jmonk

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my BMW used, however it still performs/drives/handles/ better than ANY other car I have ever driven new or used. My 6 y/o BMW even drives better than the brand new police interceptor I drive for work. Owning a BMW will mean more $ for general maintenance but an independant BMW shop can lessen the cost of ownership. Driving a BMW truely is "the ultimate driving experience". Once you drive one, you'll know. With regards to fuel economy, these vehicles run on premium fuel. This cost will usually compute to no more than an extra $4 a tank, but you WILL get outstanding performance and good fuel economy. Yesterday I got 30 MPG highway on an out-of-town trip. My vehicle is a 525i sport.

Truly a luxury sports sedan with good fuel economy. What a combination! People complain about the lack of cup holders but one must remember these are still true sports cars.

Give it wings so it can fly? It's hard to suggest improvements on a vehicle that is already very well designed.

Love the car
By Dan

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

2nd BMW and I'll run this one until the wheels fall off. Styling is classic. The car looks great even at 6 years old. Finish is still top notch. Fun and comfortable to drive

Styling, performance, reliability, luxury.

Ah, those cupholders