2002 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Buy the extended warranty
By Robert on 11/15/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the car with 19K on it. within a week it had a complete electronic failure and lost all systems. Fortunately it was under warranty. Since then, have has several expensive repairs, expansion tank, radiator, Alternator, secondary cooling fan, and miscellaneous other repairs. Always over $500 per visit. Nice car but always something breaking.

100,000 miles
By Gary on 08/24/10 13:50 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have thoroughly enjoyed this car. I have owned VWs, MB, American made cars, etc. This car has been the most fun on a daily basis. Even with the mileage topping 100k, it is still fun to drive. In shopping for a new vehicle, it is hard to find something that compares to the over-all driving experience. The only complaint is that at 100k, all sorts of gremlins have come out to play. Major and expensive repairs have been necessary. This is NOT a maintanence free vehicle, especially at higher miles.

My last BMW
By Jordan on 07/21/09 16:13 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Great experience up to the time the warranty ran out. Purchased my car new in October of 2002. After the warranty expired at 50K it was in the shop about every month and each trip was about $700, after my $200 sympathy discount. I by-passed the $1200 front passenger seat dual motor replacement and had them just lock the seat and disconnect the motors. It was one thing after another. The only way I would ever have another BMW is on a 3 year lease and get rid of it as soon as it is over 50,000 miles. Otherwise I loved it.

Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned Hands Down
By Jmonk on 06/19/08 07:07 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my BMW used, however it still performs/drives/handles/ better than ANY other car I have ever driven new or used. My 6 y/o BMW even drives better than the brand new police interceptor I drive for work. Owning a BMW will mean more $ for general maintenance but an independant BMW shop can lessen the cost of ownership. Driving a BMW truely is "the ultimate driving experience". Once you drive one, you'll know. With regards to fuel economy, these vehicles run on premium fuel. This cost will usually compute to no more than an extra $4 a tank, but you WILL get outstanding performance and good fuel economy. Yesterday I got 30 MPG highway on an out-of-town trip. My vehicle is a 525i sport.

Love the car
By Dan on 02/18/08 08:08 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

2nd BMW and I'll run this one until the wheels fall off. Styling is classic. The car looks great even at 6 years old. Finish is still top notch. Fun and comfortable to drive

It works for me
By Don G. on 07/05/05 19:30 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Lower front bumper takes all the punishment due to sport suspension. One cannot be careful enough when parking in a space where the car is driven into a stall. Due to the sport suspension, any curbing higher then four (4) inches will catch on the bumper and potentially cause damage. My damage to date has resulted in an $85.00 repair bill. Other then that, the car meets all my expectations and is a pleasure to drive.

Nothing but a Beamer!
By PAScott on 07/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Just brought home my 02 Certified Pre- owned 525i after I traded in my Z3. I can't believe it's the same engine. It does lake a little bit, but this car is SUPER responsive. I have the Sport + Premium Package. Nice. I must agree...the cup holders aren't worth the plastic their made of. (COME ON BMW). Overall...a step up from the Z3. I LOVE this car

A 5 that's almost a 10
By BoyOboi78 on 08/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

had an Acura TL but didn't want another one. had a 99 Audi A6 and had nothing but problems, so no more Audi's for me . tried out a Mercedes Benz E320, nice car but didn't seem to ride as nice, handle as well, or be smoother or quieter then the 5, plus the price and value didn't seem to be worth it. The Lexus GS300 was also another nice car i drove, but was to underdamped in my opinion and didn't feel as refined as in closing the doors or the trunk like the solidness of the 5 series. Jaguar S type, well basically build in partner ship with ford and kinda screamed cheap from a few of its parts. the 5 series has the right combination of an upscale luxury car

one word: problems
By DallasDriver on 08/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I love the car (525i with M sports package manual) when I actually get to drive it and when it works. It spent more time in the service dept than with me (hence the low mileage). The svc. dept. rep. knows me on a first name basis. Took it twice for the air bag light; once for a problem with the driver's seat; 4 times for a clutch problem (which has not been solved yet). I'm in the process of looking for a new car. Definitely NOT a BMW.

My First BMW - The 525IA
By Stan Davidson on 07/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I am a car lover, and own 4 cars. The BMW is the most refined of any car I have ever owned. Excellent service with only oil changes and routine maintenance required. The comfort and handling are very good.