Used 2002 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Nothing but a Beamer!
By PAScott

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Just brought home my 02 Certified Pre- owned 525i after I traded in my Z3. I can't believe it's the same engine. It does lake a little bit, but this car is SUPER responsive. I have the Sport + Premium Package. Nice. I must agree...the cup holders aren't worth the plastic their made of. (COME ON BMW). Overall...a step up from the Z3. I LOVE this car

Favorite Features

Xenon Headlights, Smooth/responsive ride.

Suggested Improvements

The universal remote needs to accept code-changing garage openers. AND THOSE CUP HOLDERS. SHEESH! BMW should refund all of us 525 owners!! :)

Suprised at the poor quality from BMW
By lisa112

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned my BWM for 6 years and have been disappointed with the reliability and the quality of the interior. The cupholders broke early on because they are cheap plastic. There are controls on the panel that are falling apart. The LCD panel is almost completely burned out and I can't see what radio station or time it is. Even the odometer and gas mileage readout is starting to burn out. BMW told me it would be about $2000 to fix it. I am so surprised that a $50,000 car doesn't have better quality materials. I have also been disappointed with the reliability. Last year I spent about $4,000 on repairs. I won't buy another BWM.

Trade it before it goes out of warranty
By Samuel Reese

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I own a 2002 530i purchased in 2005 with 34k miles. After 100k interior cooling fan burned out and short circuited my electronics $1500. Rear door gaskets went bad $500. Transmission failed $4500 used. Had to replace the guibo. Passenger window regulator replaced then drivers window regulator failed. Within 2 yrs drivers side failed again.Inner and outer tie rods have been replaced 3 times. Both seat motors no longer work. Windshield wiper motor burned out twice. Fan clutch failed. Of course the cup holders broke before 100k and radio display you can't read.Even doing the majority of the work myself the car is a money pit. Now I have 213k and want to sell it. No characters left to list all.

Favorite Features

Body style never ages still looks good. Very fun car to drive good power and handles very well.

Suggested Improvements

Build with better quality parts. Consumers pay too much money for a car that is so cheaply put together.

My last BMW
By Jordan

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Great experience up to the time the warranty ran out. Purchased my car new in October of 2002. After the warranty expired at 50K it was in the shop about every month and each trip was about $700, after my $200 sympathy discount. I by-passed the $1200 front passenger seat dual motor replacement and had them just lock the seat and disconnect the motors. It was one thing after another. The only way I would ever have another BMW is on a 3 year lease and get rid of it as soon as it is over 50,000 miles. Otherwise I loved it.

Favorite Features

Looks/performance

Suggested Improvements

Too many breakdowns and too expensive to repair.

New 525i
By gms

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first Bimmer and I am quickly finding out way consumer report has rated this vechile the best value in its price range. This machine is responsive and quick! The automatic steptronic transmission is probally by far the best way to feel the solid platform. Besides, the transmission makes this car extremely fun to drive. If I had any complaints, it would be that I expected more comfort when snuggled in the bucket seat. In this department the Volvo S80 has the Bimmer beat (we also own a 2001 S80.) Other than that, if you are looking for fantistic machine that is blast to drive, go for any model in the 5 series line up.

Favorite Features

Digtial climate control, Premium Package trip computer, Xeon lights solid suspension and 1st class ride.

Suggested Improvements

Better seats, a little more rear leg room and better option package combinations.