2002 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Fantastic Car
By archer_r on 10/13/14 14:43 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned this car for about 3 years and it still impresses me by its performance, handling, and comfort. The engine has ample power throughout the entire rev range. You could be cruising in 5th gear at 1500 RPM and it will still pull when you put your foot down. The car also rides very well. The ride is stiff yet comfrotable. You definately feel the road well and feel every bump, but it's never uncomfrotable. The steering is also nice as well. It really makes you feel connected to the road, which is something some modern cars lack. For being a mid-sized sedan, this car really handles well. You can definately take corners with a lot of confidence in this car.

Money pit
By happyharps on 01/20/12 10:30 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car is really fun to drive, when it will drive. It has been a money pit. We have had many electrical problems. We have had the dealership repair it, just to have more electrical problems. The interior design is poor as far as convinience goes (lack of a good drink holder), tiny seats in the back, not a lot of space on passenger side for legs and knees, etc. It has great pick up, the transmission is smooth, you can drive 120 mph and feel like your going 65mph. This car really is fun to drive, but it has so many machanical and electrical problems. Wish I hadn't purchased this car.

Suprised at the poor quality from BMW
By lisa112 on 01/08/12 09:38 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned my BWM for 6 years and have been disappointed with the reliability and the quality of the interior. The cupholders broke early on because they are cheap plastic. There are controls on the panel that are falling apart. The LCD panel is almost completely burned out and I can't see what radio station or time it is. Even the odometer and gas mileage readout is starting to burn out. BMW told me it would be about $2000 to fix it. I am so surprised that a $50,000 car doesn't have better quality materials. I have also been disappointed with the reliability. Last year I spent about $4,000 on repairs. I won't buy another BWM.

Buy the extended warranty
By Robert on 11/15/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the car with 19K on it. within a week it had a complete electronic failure and lost all systems. Fortunately it was under warranty. Since then, have has several expensive repairs, expansion tank, radiator, Alternator, secondary cooling fan, and miscellaneous other repairs. Always over $500 per visit. Nice car but always something breaking.

100,000 miles
By Gary on 08/24/10 13:50 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have thoroughly enjoyed this car. I have owned VWs, MB, American made cars, etc. This car has been the most fun on a daily basis. Even with the mileage topping 100k, it is still fun to drive. In shopping for a new vehicle, it is hard to find something that compares to the over-all driving experience. The only complaint is that at 100k, all sorts of gremlins have come out to play. Major and expensive repairs have been necessary. This is NOT a maintanence free vehicle, especially at higher miles.

Fast and is Comfortable
By jpardo on 08/20/10 04:42 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this car at a dealer auction for $ 5,000, hits 140 easy, and don't even feels like it, I have spent over $4,500 fixing it, I replace the drive shaft re-manufacture $800.00 the dealer wanted $2200.00, the guibo at the same time $450.00, front & rear rotors, new brake pads, struts, but seats don't work properly, valve cover gaskets, right arm, transmission mount, and motor mount $800.00, front temp. Sensor, side covers, and right now the front fan has a fast winding noise, when the a/c comes on, I don't how much thats going to cost.

Awesome ride without a beverage
By db on 04/13/10 04:03 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sport Wagon (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Overall an awesome ride that sacrifices comfort for performance. If you want to sit on a couch while driving get a 7 series! I love this car, and it moves pretty fast! I thought gas consumption would be worse than it actually is with the 4.4 v8, but not too bad I guess? I love the lines of the car, and get many compliments from people as well. I feel safe in the car, as I have kids, many great safety features to reassure the feeling. This car is very durable and fast (2nd mention), I forget I'm driving a family station wagon at times!

One year anniversary
By 3sons66 on 02/08/10 11:02 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sport Wagon (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

One word to describe this car: FUN One word to describe reliability: STINKS BMW for the past year has meant "Bring More Wrenches" in my case...but there is something about this car I absolutely love. Incredible handling and power. Replaced in the last twelve months: Water pump, radiator, pulleys, belts, valve cover gaskets, plugs all total about $1500 plus. Do research on forums to reduce annual maintenance costs..MANY DIY's for items replaced. I am amazed that a $65000 car needs this much attention only after 70K short miles. Looks like rear air suspension will be on the list for 2010. Easy fix though. Would I buy again? Probably not. Hope the new ones rank a little higher.

A Keeper...
By RolandP on 10/26/09 06:37 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This has been a remarkable car since the day I purchased it. Great car for long trips. It still delivers 29+ mpg with premium fuel. The manual transmission provides everything I expected. The car is steady and responsive.

Open your wallet
By loberant on 10/05/09 12:40 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Love the car, but it breaks every 3000 miles. Both power seats needed new wiring, radiator, alarm sensor, bushings?, brake sensors, trans went into fail safe, glove box broke, oil leaks, and some other things I can't remember. This all happened in the last 15,000 miles. My vehicle currently has 75,000 miles on it. Drives great though, cannot compare. Love the look and its true class. But THIS IS NOT a reliable car. Purchase a Honda/Acura/Lexus/Toyota/Subaru if you want reliable.