You'll Never Regret Owning This Car
By kicker12 on
2001 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)
After an array of domestic and import sports car, I finally found what I was looking for (or maybe I finally got old enough to afford what I wanted). Drove everything out there from Acura TL to 350Z to Corvette to R8 to.... Nearly bought a new TL, for the price is the best vehicle out there. Finally found a 540i and decided to make sure before the Acura. Made it 2 miles on a test drive, called my wife and said we are done looking. Bought a CPO from Markel in Omaha, sight unseen, flew my 21 year old out to drive it back to Boise. He called after 50 miles and said "You should have done this a long time ago." Absolutely the best car I've ever driven or ridden in, if you can, buy it.
Favorite Features
Tiptronic, light green exterior/interior is outstanding, torque and rolling acceleration are incredible, like a rock at 135. Smooth as silk, ride is sublime and dead quiet. Sport pkg and comfort seats outstanding. Great controls/lighting, Xenons. Smiling never ends. Get the best radar you can buy.
Suggested Improvements
Cup holders blow, you'll want to find an after market unit or go thirsty. Picky now, but no audio mute or auto-on headlamps. Also, tough to find a spot for XM Radio, finally mounted behind gear shift. If you buy, be very careful where you park as the chin spoiler will split with any hard contact.