2001 BMW 5 Series Consumer Review: Great ride despite high mainte

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Review

Great ride despite high maintenance cost
By SeanK on

2001 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I was looking for a luxury car to modify into a performance vehicle (gs300 +turbo kit & +tranny swap). When I found this car looking for 6 speed rear wheel drives, I was immediately taken. Quick, comfortable & connected. Why buy another luxury automobile and turn it into a performance vehicle when you can buy one that is already dialed in. They are rare to find, and even more rare w/ low miles & in good condition. Car feels glued to the road at any speed the governor allows. After leaning on the throttle uphill in 6th, I realized how much power this engine has. If you understand the cost of ownership, go for it. You will not be disappointed. If you care about MPG, get a different car!

Favorite Features

6 speed getrag tranny, lowered stance, predictability in behavior, defeatable DSC, raw low end power. Car pulls hard in any gear. 540i manual w/ Sport package is almost the performance of the revered M5, but half the insurance & maintenance cost. Last & most refined of the classic BMW styling.

Suggested Improvements

Gremlins that mess with my turn signals & fan blower. Costly replacement parts, generally quirky electrical system, trip computer resets, failure prone cooling system.