2001 BMW 5 Series Consumer Review: Excellent.. BUT

2001 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Review

525i Sedan (2.5L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Excellent.. BUT
By MRF on

2001 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

While this is certainly the finest car I've ever owned, I have been rather disappointed with a few items. Good stuff: This car has an amazing balance of handling prowess and ride quality. It's quiet (except for Dunlops) and feels planted at any speed. The sport seats are incredibly supportive and the controls are well-placed. Silver/black which is a stunning combination. No comparison to my Saab 9-5 in most ways. Main complaint comes from the seriously weak sound system (base system) and the creaks/rattles that come (I'm told) from my fold down seats. Hey BMW, don't offer fold downs if you can't build them without resulting in rattles. Rust spots not covered by BMW (still fighting).

Incredible car to drive. Love the sport/prem/winter pckgs. Great power and gas mileage (on highway) not so hot on gas around town. Beautiful car, even after five years on the road. Great seats. Incredible car but for a few disappointments that I was not expecting from the ultimate vehicle.

Don't offer fold down seats if you can't engineer the car structurally to handle them. Tons of creaks all over the car. Cup holders are a complete joke. The sound system is horrible for a $50K+ car. It's a joke and I'm embarrassed for people to hear it. Several rust spots.