2001 BMW 5 Series 2.5L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Awesome Mileage in Gas Crunch

2001 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Review

525i Sedan (2.5L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Awesome Mileage in Gas Crunch
By GumDoc on

2001 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car used in 02 when I was in the market for a lux vehicle. A cousin suggested I go for a test drive. Dealer had just taken in car on trade 7500 mi demo service and 1 owner. Car was offered CPO and it is now out of warranty after about 1 year. Great Value! With recent gas crunch, I was concerned about a V-8 (same as 7-series) and was considering a new vehicle when I started tracking mileage. At 55 on hwy, car gets >30 mpg and at 65 car gets 28-29 mpg, both well over EPA estimates for the vehicle. This V-8 does better than many V-6s - a secret known only to owners.

Favorite Features

Added bluetooth for handsfree phone 2006, one of few older cars that can be upgraded. No need for a new car. Solid w/powerful engine. Very low maintenance. Car is a sleeper. If you have this car, take care of it - it will take care of you.

Suggested Improvements

Options pricey, but quality of construction well worth it. Other manufacturers need to get with the program. Why aren't more cars built like this one. Clearly it is possible.