Used 2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 92 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

BMW 540i sport, premium 6
By Robert L. Huser

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

This car is the ultimate driving machine. From the engine, transmission, overall gearing, handling, comfort, and sound system (DSP audio & engine) this machine rocks. Its also the best looking car on the road with very reasonable economy for the performance experienced. Averaged 26.4 mpg on latest 1500 mile vacation. This car satisfies all my wants, needs, and wishes. Forget complaining about useless cupholders, pickup a set of door pocket mounted holders at BMW accessory counter. Only unlucky reliability issues could bring complaints about this otherwise perfect overall automobile. You just can't beat a V8 manual transmission combo for all out driving excitement. Just awesome!!

Engine, transmission, sound, handling, comfort, climate control, just plain good looks, and can you say acceleration.

Stereo controls reliability issues.

She's a Smoker!
By Blue Charvel

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Awesome car, got a CPO after coming to the end of my '99 328i lease. Powerful and quiet, it does everything with a touch of class (even beating the pants off a CLK430 the other day :D ). I didn't buy it for the cupholders or fuel economy so really the only thing I could complain about is the standard stereo system... could be better, not quite crisp enough, gets too mushy at high volumes. Other than that minor detail, I love this car! Went through an adjustment period after the 3, the 5 handles much differently being quite heavy but after the last 5 months I'm hooked.

Transmission, engine, lack of road/wind noise, electronic amenities.

Gas mileage, cupholders, standard stereo

Bmw performance
By Mr.Bmw

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car is one of the best cars I ever driven. The styling is very terrific. I love my xenon lights and the rounded fog lamps. The leather seats can feel a little uncomfortable at times but if you're not going on long trips it should be just right. The thing I hate most is the reliability. I seem to find myself at my local Bmw dealership about every month for such things like noises, brakes etc.

cupholders!! (they stink), fuel economy!

Best of the Best
By Shashi

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

This is my second one, handling is awesome. Especially on highways. Seating design is excellent. On other cars, I can't drive more then 3 hrs at a straight, with my back pain, but in my 540 I can drive more then 8 hrs straight. One of the most comfortable car to drive and you can leave your worries behind. Makes your presence on the road to others ... Sure there are lots of other cars on the road, but its BMW .. :)

Road Handling, Interior/Exterior, Comfortable seating ...

internal storage, and of course cup holders in front and also back too

Very Happy
By mike2lane

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car because of its lower comparable depreciation, and I couldn't be happier. My only problem is that I really would like better drink holders... how American, I know! The drive is impressively smooth to the point where my friends make comments and two have bought one themselves. I recommend this car if for no other reason than the great service I get at most dealerships come time for service.

My favorite feature is the steering.

better drink holders, plusher leather (like the H2 seats), a hybrid model for improved mileage. That's it! The rest is PERFECT!