Used 2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 92 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Got To Love a V8 and Manual Transmission
By Robert L. Huser

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Only thing that sounds better than the DSP stereo is the sound of the engine working its way up through the slick shifting 6spd. Can't beat the low slung looks and accompanying wide tires. Don't complain about the cup holders there is help waiting for you at the parts counter. There are both door mount and center console mount available. The car offers both outstanding comfort and exciting performance and handling. I LOVE THIS CAR.

V8 engine, 6spd. manual, looks, upgrade stereo, and looks again.

540 Sport
By DC

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I bought this vehicle with a little over 7k on it. It was a worthly vehicle for about a year. Electrical problems started with the HVAC system which eventually led to a major electrical fire. An igition coil overheated which melted the entire electrical main housing. The car was under warrantee, but was in the shop for 47 days. I fought BMW and they agreed that I got a lemon.

Performance!!! 282HP

Cup holders are terrible!!!

Ultimate driving machine! Buy it !
By robotech

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I absolutely love this car. I find myself making excuses just to go for a drive in this car. This car will truely put a smile on your face every time you take it out. I drove the 525, 528, 530 and 540 as well as MB E320, Lexus GS300 & GS400 and even Volvo S80 models before settling on the 530i. In my opinion the 530i is the best choice in this series for power and fuel economy. Regular maintenance is expensive but I expected that with BMW. No problems, except for the lousy cup holders. They break easily and are practically useless. Trunk could be bigger (height wise). Buy a good used 530i and you will never look back! By far the best car that I have ever driven.

A blast to drive, fuel economy, rain sensing wipers, memory settings, M- sports package, looks.

REAL CUP HOLDERS PLEASE! Bigger Trunk, more rear seat leg room (I'm 6'4").

not a great bimmer but a bimmer
By Carlover

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

We have owned it for 4 years.I now have it at college. Looks are nice yet little to understated for me. Handling is awsome! Much better looking then E- class. Interior is fitting of a 40k german luxery sedan.We haven't had any reliability issues at all, just regular maintenance. Good for starting business person. However it lacks the power (which is the ultimate luxury) and prestige of an M5 or 760i. Which I know cost more. Also decent gas mileage.

Handling and wood finish

Really they are found in the higher models. The M5 performance and, or the road presence of a 7

BMW... There is no other.
By Dutch von Bimmer

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

This is a fantastic car. I think BMW broke the mold with this body style. I have loved this car every minute I have owned it. I have had many offers to buy this car. No chance, amigos! Get your own car.

Driving the car on the interstate. This car really gives the driver a sense of command.

The cup holders are cheap.