Used 2001 BMW 5 Series 530i Sedan Consumer Reviews - 45 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

BMW 530IA Sport Package
By Todd Baker

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The BMW 530IA is one of the best cars on the road. It is extremely reliable as far as making sure you get to and from your appointment. Many times, even the car is having issues.. the parts are so 'tough' that they will even get you to the dealership in a 'reasonable' amount of time w/o a tow. Of course.. there have been no 'major' failures thus far. The car handles like a race car.. but you can put your parents in the back seat for those trips to and from the airport. Lots of space where it is needed.. but gives most Corvettes a real run for the money off the line and at high end speeds. The car is at home around 90mph on the freeway. You hardly notice when you pass 120. NICE CAR.

Safety systems make sense. Well engineered. Car is well balanced. Its like driving an accurate throwing knife. Car accelerates well.. and high end pickup and ride is exceptional. Xenon headlights are good. Sport Package is worth the extra money. Heated seats are excellent.

Service costs are a little bit high. I recommend the 100,000 warranty at time of sale. More if you can get it. The stuff that fails isn't typically 'nuclear' and you can tell that the engineering overall is exceptional. Parts might 'get sick' well before they 'fail' which is a nice safety assurance.

New to me! Elegant and fun A+
By Xclent

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Having just recently purchased my first BMW 530iA, although used, I can honestly say I am not disappointed with my decision. This car is superb. Sport, convenience and premium package with 17 inch wheels. I did order new headlights from an aftermaket internet wholesaler and that did the trick. The front looks new again. Getting rid of yellow and cracked lights will give your BMW or any car for that matter a new look again. If you decide to purchase a clean title BMW 530i you will be pleased every morning when you turn the key to go to work. :)

Performance, engine hum, handling, looks and quality materials in the cabin, no cheap plastics here.

Better sound system, low end bass below par for what I expected and perhaps better fuel effenciency.

Ultimate driving machine! Buy it !
By robotech

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I absolutely love this car. I find myself making excuses just to go for a drive in this car. This car will truely put a smile on your face every time you take it out. I drove the 525, 528, 530 and 540 as well as MB E320, Lexus GS300 & GS400 and even Volvo S80 models before settling on the 530i. In my opinion the 530i is the best choice in this series for power and fuel economy. Regular maintenance is expensive but I expected that with BMW. No problems, except for the lousy cup holders. They break easily and are practically useless. Trunk could be bigger (height wise). Buy a good used 530i and you will never look back! By far the best car that I have ever driven.

A blast to drive, fuel economy, rain sensing wipers, memory settings, M- sports package, looks.

REAL CUP HOLDERS PLEASE! Bigger Trunk, more rear seat leg room (I'm 6'4").

Bmw performance
By Mr.Bmw

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car is one of the best cars I ever driven. The styling is very terrific. I love my xenon lights and the rounded fog lamps. The leather seats can feel a little uncomfortable at times but if you're not going on long trips it should be just right. The thing I hate most is the reliability. I seem to find myself at my local Bmw dealership about every month for such things like noises, brakes etc.

cupholders!! (they stink), fuel economy!

Very Happy
By mike2lane

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car because of its lower comparable depreciation, and I couldn't be happier. My only problem is that I really would like better drink holders... how American, I know! The drive is impressively smooth to the point where my friends make comments and two have bought one themselves. I recommend this car if for no other reason than the great service I get at most dealerships come time for service.

My favorite feature is the steering.

better drink holders, plusher leather (like the H2 seats), a hybrid model for improved mileage. That's it! The rest is PERFECT!