Used 2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Bmw 5-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Most Helpful|
The best car of its time
By mrmomo313

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought her 7 years ago and it feels the way it did when it pulled out of the showroom. Car runs perfect. I have never had to fix anything on it. I take it for its usaul check ups. This is the Ultimate Driving Machine! Buy it if you need a new car.

Favorite Features

Premium Package. Steptronic transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Sound system could use some work. If it had more juice it would be perfect.

Great ride despite high maintenance cost
By SeanK

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I was looking for a luxury car to modify into a performance vehicle (gs300 +turbo kit & +tranny swap). When I found this car looking for 6 speed rear wheel drives, I was immediately taken. Quick, comfortable & connected. Why buy another luxury automobile and turn it into a performance vehicle when you can buy one that is already dialed in. They are rare to find, and even more rare w/ low miles & in good condition. Car feels glued to the road at any speed the governor allows. After leaning on the throttle uphill in 6th, I realized how much power this engine has. If you understand the cost of ownership, go for it. You will not be disappointed. If you care about MPG, get a different car!

Favorite Features

6 speed getrag tranny, lowered stance, predictability in behavior, defeatable DSC, raw low end power. Car pulls hard in any gear. 540i manual w/ Sport package is almost the performance of the revered M5, but half the insurance & maintenance cost. Last & most refined of the classic BMW styling.

Suggested Improvements

Gremlins that mess with my turn signals & fan blower. Costly replacement parts, generally quirky electrical system, trip computer resets, failure prone cooling system.

I've loved this one
By Anonymous

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car new and have kept it 10 years. Have the manual transmission. Has been a dream to drive. Have had some maintenance issues, (blown radiator, fan, lights, replaced almost all suspension parts) and its really costly to get repaired. So, I went to the dealer to drive the new 2011 535, what a disappointment. The new one has more power, but has lost the great driving feel. It is just a completely different car than the old one. I guess I'll just drive my 2001 until the wheels fall off.

Favorite Features

Preciseness of driving feel especially when I get the acceleration and gear shifts in perfect harmony.

Suggested Improvements

replaced the cupholders 5 times

Reliable
By josh37

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 BMW 530i with about 80,000 miles on it. It now has 140,000 on it. I have not had any MAJOR problem, but little ones here and there.. For a while, the car would just cut off at a stop light or in the drive way or anywhere when you hit the gas. It always started right back up, but it started getting worse and worse.. Nobody could tell me what was wrong with it because it didnt have any engine lights on... One day it cut off and the service engine soon light came on... It turned out to be the Camshaft posision sensor.. Now it runs like its brand new. Had a bad oil leak but only cost me $30 to get fixed. Cup holders are broke, and the wheels get break dust on them pretty bad...

Favorite Features

Power, Handling, build quality, RELIABLE

Suggested Improvements

Im sure all the problems have been resolved in the newer models...

No Compromises
By Jeff

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Found a 2001 530i Sport for the same price as a used Accord. After driving primarily American and Japanese front wheel drive vehicles for 15 years, the no compromise engineering that goes into BMW was like attending a driving revival. RWD, I-6, trunk located battery, 50/50 weight distribution, aluminum 4 wheel independent suspension, etc make this vehicle drive like lawyers don't exist at BMW. Some cars will turn and accelerate well when you ask them to, this car begs you to turn and accelerate at every chance. It accelerates quicker than a 3.0L should; it handles better than any 3500 Lb vehicle should. Balanced, focused, no compromise performance. The Ultimate Driving Machine.

Favorite Features

Feel the road handling, comfortable sporty interior for 4, styling, highway fuel economy is 29+ at 75 mph. Sport package is a great value and the wheels are to die for.

Suggested Improvements

Headlight adjusters are broken, common problem. Can fix my self for $175 or new ones for $2000! Low front bumper is great looking, but not high enough to clear most parking stops, ouch! Cup holders are a joke. Center console next to the shifter is an odd place for the lock/unlock button.