Used 2001 BMW 5 Series 530i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
German Quality
By Maximus

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was shopping for a 4 door sedan for a while. I choose this car over the Saab 9-3 Vector and Audi A6. The first time you drive, you will feel the difference between the cars. The solid interior and precise handling, the deep tone of the 3.0L engine is just music to your ear. This car is way better built than saab or audi. I compared the 530 to the 540 . It is really a catch of badges since the 540 is 340 lb heavier than the 530 you really only gain a minimal performance but instead of getting 21mpg in city you will most likely get around 16-17.For exacly that reason I choose the 530.

Favorite Features

Steptronic is the best clutchless manual I've ever driven. Xenon lights are handy too.

Suggested Improvements

Stereo system, sounds like my granpa's SOKOL radio from the 1980's.

Not that bad!
By josh37

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car in October of 2008 and I must say I'm not ashamed of my BMW. I get a lot of compliments all the time. It gets good gas mileage and has a lot of get up and go. I had a 2003 Nissan Maxima SE before this car and the BMW is as good as it. I'm only 16 also. I recently had to replace the alternator and I'm having to get new tires and rims because of a roaring noise but I was gonna get new tires and rims anyways so that is not a real big deal. Overall I LOVE THIS CAR!!!

Favorite Features

Powerful, smooth ride, handles well, fun to drive. Compliments I get from my friends!!!

Suggested Improvements

Improve radio, CD player will not played MP3 discs.

I've loved this one
By Anonymous

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car new and have kept it 10 years. Have the manual transmission. Has been a dream to drive. Have had some maintenance issues, (blown radiator, fan, lights, replaced almost all suspension parts) and its really costly to get repaired. So, I went to the dealer to drive the new 2011 535, what a disappointment. The new one has more power, but has lost the great driving feel. It is just a completely different car than the old one. I guess I'll just drive my 2001 until the wheels fall off.

Favorite Features

Preciseness of driving feel especially when I get the acceleration and gear shifts in perfect harmony.

Suggested Improvements

replaced the cupholders 5 times

Reliable
By josh37

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 BMW 530i with about 80,000 miles on it. It now has 140,000 on it. I have not had any MAJOR problem, but little ones here and there.. For a while, the car would just cut off at a stop light or in the drive way or anywhere when you hit the gas. It always started right back up, but it started getting worse and worse.. Nobody could tell me what was wrong with it because it didnt have any engine lights on... One day it cut off and the service engine soon light came on... It turned out to be the Camshaft posision sensor.. Now it runs like its brand new. Had a bad oil leak but only cost me $30 to get fixed. Cup holders are broke, and the wheels get break dust on them pretty bad...

Favorite Features

Power, Handling, build quality, RELIABLE

Suggested Improvements

Im sure all the problems have been resolved in the newer models...

The best car of its time
By mrmomo313

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought her 7 years ago and it feels the way it did when it pulled out of the showroom. Car runs perfect. I have never had to fix anything on it. I take it for its usaul check ups. This is the Ultimate Driving Machine! Buy it if you need a new car.

Favorite Features

Premium Package. Steptronic transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Sound system could use some work. If it had more juice it would be perfect.