2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Awesome Mileage in Gas Crunch
By GumDoc on 08/10/07 08:22 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Bought this car used in 02 when I was in the market for a lux vehicle. A cousin suggested I go for a test drive. Dealer had just taken in car on trade 7500 mi demo service and 1 owner. Car was offered CPO and it is now out of warranty after about 1 year. Great Value! With recent gas crunch, I was concerned about a V-8 (same as 7-series) and was considering a new vehicle when I started tracking mileage. At 55 on hwy, car gets >30 mpg and at 65 car gets 28-29 mpg, both well over EPA estimates for the vehicle. This V-8 does better than many V-6s - a secret known only to owners.

BMW 540 with sport options close to M5
By IL_Tim on 07/19/07 14:49 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I commute a lot and needed an auto transmission, therefore no M5. This was as close as I could get and no disappointment. ALWAYS get the 540 with the sport option, otherwise stay with the V6. Fine, fine car, best of sport tuning and luxury.

German Quality
By Maximus on 02/15/07 07:15 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was shopping for a 4 door sedan for a while. I choose this car over the Saab 9-3 Vector and Audi A6. The first time you drive, you will feel the difference between the cars. The solid interior and precise handling, the deep tone of the 3.0L engine is just music to your ear. This car is way better built than saab or audi. I compared the 530 to the 540 . It is really a catch of badges since the 540 is 340 lb heavier than the 530 you really only gain a minimal performance but instead of getting 21mpg in city you will most likely get around 16-17.For exacly that reason I choose the 530.

Excellent.. BUT
By MRF on 12/13/06 12:47 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

While this is certainly the finest car I've ever owned, I have been rather disappointed with a few items. Good stuff: This car has an amazing balance of handling prowess and ride quality. It's quiet (except for Dunlops) and feels planted at any speed. The sport seats are incredibly supportive and the controls are well-placed. Silver/black which is a stunning combination. No comparison to my Saab 9-5 in most ways. Main complaint comes from the seriously weak sound system (base system) and the creaks/rattles that come (I'm told) from my fold down seats. Hey BMW, don't offer fold downs if you can't build them without resulting in rattles. Rust spots not covered by BMW (still fighting).

Gotta love BMWs
By SheBMW on 09/23/06 14:28 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had this car for 5 years now, and I will not part with it for love or money. She ROCKS!! I love the styling, the feel of the car on the road, and the response of that smooth inline-6. Have heard of people having trouble with theirs, but we've had countless BMW's in the family, and never a day of trouble. This will certainly not be the last BMW I drive - I'm a die-hard BMW fanatic!!!!

If I weren't typing I'd be driving!!
By axelro43 on 07/15/06 09:39 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love this car!! Handling and speed are superb. Xenon is wonderful. The Interior is plush and driver friendly. Cupholders aren't great but you won't think about drinking anything while driving this performance machine!! In addition I believe that this is one of the best looking vehicles on the road as well as best performing! You'll never sell it!!

BMW 530IA Sport Package
By Todd Baker on 05/09/06 20:07 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The BMW 530IA is one of the best cars on the road. It is extremely reliable as far as making sure you get to and from your appointment. Many times, even the car is having issues.. the parts are so 'tough' that they will even get you to the dealership in a 'reasonable' amount of time w/o a tow. Of course.. there have been no 'major' failures thus far. The car handles like a race car.. but you can put your parents in the back seat for those trips to and from the airport. Lots of space where it is needed.. but gives most Corvettes a real run for the money off the line and at high end speeds. The car is at home around 90mph on the freeway. You hardly notice when you pass 120. NICE CAR.

New to me! Elegant and fun A+
By Xclent on 04/21/06 20:48 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Having just recently purchased my first BMW 530iA, although used, I can honestly say I am not disappointed with my decision. This car is superb. Sport, convenience and premium package with 17 inch wheels. I did order new headlights from an aftermaket internet wholesaler and that did the trick. The front looks new again. Getting rid of yellow and cracked lights will give your BMW or any car for that matter a new look again. If you decide to purchase a clean title BMW 530i you will be pleased every morning when you turn the key to go to work. :)

Got To Love a V8 and Manual Transmission
By Robert L. Huser on 03/22/06 10:38 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Only thing that sounds better than the DSP stereo is the sound of the engine working its way up through the slick shifting 6spd. Can't beat the low slung looks and accompanying wide tires. Don't complain about the cup holders there is help waiting for you at the parts counter. There are both door mount and center console mount available. The car offers both outstanding comfort and exciting performance and handling. I LOVE THIS CAR.

540 Sport
By DC on 10/17/05 09:46 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I bought this vehicle with a little over 7k on it. It was a worthly vehicle for about a year. Electrical problems started with the HVAC system which eventually led to a major electrical fire. An igition coil overheated which melted the entire electrical main housing. The car was under warrantee, but was in the shop for 47 days. I fought BMW and they agreed that I got a lemon.