Used 2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Not that bad!
By josh37

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car in October of 2008 and I must say I'm not ashamed of my BMW. I get a lot of compliments all the time. It gets good gas mileage and has a lot of get up and go. I had a 2003 Nissan Maxima SE before this car and the BMW is as good as it. I'm only 16 also. I recently had to replace the alternator and I'm having to get new tires and rims because of a roaring noise but I was gonna get new tires and rims anyways so that is not a real big deal. Overall I LOVE THIS CAR!!!

Favorite Features

Powerful, smooth ride, handles well, fun to drive. Compliments I get from my friends!!!

Suggested Improvements

Improve radio, CD player will not played MP3 discs.

Good car
By Dutch in Texas

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

The 540iA with Sport Package is great to drive. The car is rock solid on the road, but I have had a number of parts replaced. My one gripe with the car is it sits too low to the ground. My front bumper cover and front air spoiler were torn off by objects. The car is solid to speeds up to 145 mph (yes, we drove it that fast once as per the speedometer). There is likely some small amount of speedometer error. I purchased the extended warranty, and it was a wise investment. The extended warranty cost ~$3,300, but it got me a new factory radio, radiator, radiator expansion tank, power steering pump, and several thousand dollars of replacement suspension parts (plus service).

Favorite Features

Solid ride. Very stable.

Suggested Improvements

Front air spoiler and front bumper cover sit too low to the ground. Inside door handles and cup holders are cheap.

Black on Beige Sport/Premium
By The Tom

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first non-US made car and I am in love with "my baby". I am 6'3" and 260 lbs. The 530 fits like a glove. Plus I have a family so I use the space of the 5-series. To me, it is the best of everything. As of this writing I have logged over 30k miles as I purchased pre-owned. Has had a bit more maintenance cost than my US cars however it is a high-end car which drives and looks like no other. Most issues are regular 'wear-out' items like H2O pump, hoses, belts.

Favorite Features

Styling, engineering, handling, looks, 'Wow' factor, engineering, attention getter, fun to drive, really a classic sought after model (just a little larger than current 3-series as the 3 keeps getting bigger). And as one neighbor says, "Sweet".

No Compromises
By Jeff

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Found a 2001 530i Sport for the same price as a used Accord. After driving primarily American and Japanese front wheel drive vehicles for 15 years, the no compromise engineering that goes into BMW was like attending a driving revival. RWD, I-6, trunk located battery, 50/50 weight distribution, aluminum 4 wheel independent suspension, etc make this vehicle drive like lawyers don't exist at BMW. Some cars will turn and accelerate well when you ask them to, this car begs you to turn and accelerate at every chance. It accelerates quicker than a 3.0L should; it handles better than any 3500 Lb vehicle should. Balanced, focused, no compromise performance. The Ultimate Driving Machine.

Favorite Features

Feel the road handling, comfortable sporty interior for 4, styling, highway fuel economy is 29+ at 75 mph. Sport package is a great value and the wheels are to die for.

Suggested Improvements

Headlight adjusters are broken, common problem. Can fix my self for $175 or new ones for $2000! Low front bumper is great looking, but not high enough to clear most parking stops, ouch! Cup holders are a joke. Center console next to the shifter is an odd place for the lock/unlock button.

The best car of its time
By mrmomo313

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought her 7 years ago and it feels the way it did when it pulled out of the showroom. Car runs perfect. I have never had to fix anything on it. I take it for its usaul check ups. This is the Ultimate Driving Machine! Buy it if you need a new car.

Favorite Features

Premium Package. Steptronic transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Sound system could use some work. If it had more juice it would be perfect.