2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Wish they still made this style
By Discriminating Taste on 02/24/08 19:13 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I understand why this 530i was Consumer Reports highest rated car ever in 2001. I got a Mercedes after my first BMW, but after experiencing this 530i, I may be a BMW loyalist into my 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and if I need a personal driver by the time I reach 100 years old, he/she/(or it if robots can drive by then) will be behind the wheel of a BMW. BMW, keep up the good work!

Beautiful and Reliable
By SunnySoCal on 10/30/07 20:39 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Very few maintenance needs, even up to 130K miles, when it was totaled in an accident. Interior and exterior still looked like new in 2007. In a severe accident, the car was incredible, and protected the front and rear passengers completely. I am going to purchase another one :-)

Numerous Mechanical issues
By Unsatisfied on 10/01/07 14:43 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have heard that these cars were very reliable. Mine was extremely fun to drive, but had numerous mechanical issues. Maybe I just got a bad one. Had to replace the drive shaft in the first year, drive belt tensioner "exploded" causing loss of power steering and cut hose resulted in overheat. Right front suspension replacement required before 50k miles... not driven very hard, numerous other issues final stage unit caused air conditioning to fail, replaced twice during time I owned, etc.

Executive Ride
By Chris on 09/27/07 11:44 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Found myself wanting a sporty, high-end sedan and the 2001 530 with Sport and Premium is most definitely it. Took some time to find a manual, and silver wasn't my first color choice but found one with less that 50K miles. Car is beautiful inside and out, will enjoy for a long time. Sport suspension makes you really feel the road yet nothing jarring, acceleration is surprising with a relatively big car with a six cylinder, and the engine is incredibly quiet. Time will tell re reliability, disappointed that a week after purchase the alternator went out on me. Rec - don't take to dealer, find a good indie mechanic and get to know him.

German Quality
By Maximus on 02/15/07 07:15 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was shopping for a 4 door sedan for a while. I choose this car over the Saab 9-3 Vector and Audi A6. The first time you drive, you will feel the difference between the cars. The solid interior and precise handling, the deep tone of the 3.0L engine is just music to your ear. This car is way better built than saab or audi. I compared the 530 to the 540 . It is really a catch of badges since the 540 is 340 lb heavier than the 530 you really only gain a minimal performance but instead of getting 21mpg in city you will most likely get around 16-17.For exacly that reason I choose the 530.

Excellent.. BUT
By MRF on 12/13/06 12:47 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

While this is certainly the finest car I've ever owned, I have been rather disappointed with a few items. Good stuff: This car has an amazing balance of handling prowess and ride quality. It's quiet (except for Dunlops) and feels planted at any speed. The sport seats are incredibly supportive and the controls are well-placed. Silver/black which is a stunning combination. No comparison to my Saab 9-5 in most ways. Main complaint comes from the seriously weak sound system (base system) and the creaks/rattles that come (I'm told) from my fold down seats. Hey BMW, don't offer fold downs if you can't build them without resulting in rattles. Rust spots not covered by BMW (still fighting).

Gotta love BMWs
By SheBMW on 09/23/06 14:28 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had this car for 5 years now, and I will not part with it for love or money. She ROCKS!! I love the styling, the feel of the car on the road, and the response of that smooth inline-6. Have heard of people having trouble with theirs, but we've had countless BMW's in the family, and never a day of trouble. This will certainly not be the last BMW I drive - I'm a die-hard BMW fanatic!!!!

If I weren't typing I'd be driving!!
By axelro43 on 07/15/06 09:39 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love this car!! Handling and speed are superb. Xenon is wonderful. The Interior is plush and driver friendly. Cupholders aren't great but you won't think about drinking anything while driving this performance machine!! In addition I believe that this is one of the best looking vehicles on the road as well as best performing! You'll never sell it!!

BMW 530IA Sport Package
By Todd Baker on 05/09/06 20:07 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The BMW 530IA is one of the best cars on the road. It is extremely reliable as far as making sure you get to and from your appointment. Many times, even the car is having issues.. the parts are so 'tough' that they will even get you to the dealership in a 'reasonable' amount of time w/o a tow. Of course.. there have been no 'major' failures thus far. The car handles like a race car.. but you can put your parents in the back seat for those trips to and from the airport. Lots of space where it is needed.. but gives most Corvettes a real run for the money off the line and at high end speeds. The car is at home around 90mph on the freeway. You hardly notice when you pass 120. NICE CAR.

New to me! Elegant and fun A+
By Xclent on 04/21/06 20:48 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Having just recently purchased my first BMW 530iA, although used, I can honestly say I am not disappointed with my decision. This car is superb. Sport, convenience and premium package with 17 inch wheels. I did order new headlights from an aftermaket internet wholesaler and that did the trick. The front looks new again. Getting rid of yellow and cracked lights will give your BMW or any car for that matter a new look again. If you decide to purchase a clean title BMW 530i you will be pleased every morning when you turn the key to go to work. :)