2001 BMW 5 Series Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Not your average soccer mom ride
By Banditt on 09/20/06 08:44 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series Wagon 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this 525i wagon because the purchase price of the wagons were lower than the sedans, and I have two kids. I have yet to be disappointed. The low center of gravity (I stand taller than the car) and wide wheelbase give it a solid, performance feel very similiar to the sedan. Also, interior room rivals my Chrysler pacifica. It is amazing how much clear space there is for hauling with the seats down. The level control system compensates the suspension beautifully with a full load of family and stuff. It is a beautiful orient blue with honeycomb BMW rims, low profile tires and tinted windows. I love it.

Love isn't blind
By Roadster on 12/17/05 12:13 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 5 Series Wagon 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Love the car overall and cannot find anything comparable. Outstanding gas mileage & performance. Smooth quiet and responsive ride and handling. Accessories are light weight... cup holders replaced twice, don't work well anyway, sunroof replaced twice after falling from tilt mode. Bought it certified so have the extended warranty and bought extended maint... so far well worth it. The parking sensors are fantastic, all cars should have them.

Buy It
By CinATL on 06/27/05 12:30 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series Wagon 540i 4dr Sport Wagon (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this car for my wife as a car to drive around kids in - I think I want it for myself! This car has got all the power you will need, excellent handling and it's smooth as silk. The 540, like the other posters say, is well worth it over the 528. There are too many great things about this car to list... simply love it, love it, love it.

Things break
By kathysav on 11/14/04 16:34 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 5 Series Wagon 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I love the way my Alpine wagon drives, but a lot of little things inside break, and often. The cup holder (poor design) has broken 4 times. Now, I no longer use it. The back sunshade has broken, and the indise mouldings fall off if touched while entering and exiting the car. Dealer does not make it easy to buy parts to fix yourself. Great performance, but sad that the inside quality is not up to snuff. I would expect more from our BMW. Seats are not comfortable for long journeys!

Sport wagon for everyone
By BMWPILOT on 11/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 5 Series Wagon 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

You don't have to have kids to own this car. This is my 3rd BMW and I love it. Came out of a Nissan SUV which was nice but the gas milage and ride was KILLING me.I am now getting 30MPG on the highway! My last BMW was an 89 3 series (2.5L) that I had for 225,000 miles so I know this engine can go the distance and all of the extras on this car are amazing (fully loaded).

Amazing!
By coop540 on 07/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series Wagon 540i 4dr Sport Wagon (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Wow. That's all I keep saying everyday I drive this car. After years of lumbering around in SUV's of all sizes I started looking at BMW wagons on the strong advice of two good friends. Now I am forever indebted to them! This car is an absolute dream to drive and I really don't feel that I have lost much (if any) cargo space. The power delivery is powerfully smooth and seemingly never ending. The car is very quite and handles like its on rails! You will want to drive everywhere! If you have the opportunity to pick up the 540i rather than the 528i or 525i, do it! This car has put the fun back into driving for me!

simple and nice
By MongMong on 06/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

it's simple, classy, nice

Uber Wagon
By JAMindfw on 01/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 5 Series Wagon 540i 4dr Sport Wagon (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Not only the best wagon on the market, but the best car. The wagon actually gives you 50/50 weight distribution. Handles better than the sedan. The extra torque of the 540 is worth the investment. I have used it to haul and road trips, etc. Did a euro delivery too, so got to drive it on home turf. Seeing euro delivery is actually cheaper, one would be crazy not to buy that way. New wagons won't be available (E60) til 2005-06.

Love my wagon!
By 01 525 Wagon Owner on 08/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series Wagon 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Wen my wife and I were about to have our first child a couple of years ago, we looked at every SUV on the market. Nothing satisfied us, plus the fuel mileage for the SUV's was horrible. My wife then suggested a BMW wagon. We went to the dealership, and I was pleasantly surprised! We have the sport package that makes the car sit a bit lower with nice low-profile tires. It also has tight steering due to the sport package. I feel comfortable driving this car even when the kids (we have since had another one) are not in the car.

most bang 4 the buck
By LION MCCOY on 05/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series Wagon 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

i've always wanted a wagon,however, i dont have any kids...YET.the price of this vehicle was enough for me 2 sign $28,000 for a 2001 bmw 525i wagon w/ only 22,000 miles i have had sooooo much fun driving u can buy bmw's back of book