Used 2001 BMW 5 Series 530i Sedan Consumer Reviews - 45 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Classic manual E39. One of the last true cars.
By MB

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Only buy this if you can get a manual. If you can't drive a manual you might as well just get a Hyundai anyways.
The inline six is one of the best engines ever made anywhere, ever. Strong torque, good progression, bulletproof. Nicely matched 5 speed and sports suspension. This is the car that set the tone for a whole generation of sport sedans--none ever came close to matching its performance, comfort, safety and reliability. Still one of the highest rated BMW's ever made. A classic. Highly recommend it if you can find one.

Like this car a lot, saloon model?
By Ted Komorowski

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car has 187K + on it and I have had no problems thus far. Got it used and have been replacing all the maintenance parts, all filters, oil, water, brake fluid, power steering ATF, and the interior parts like the cup holders, wood trim, all windscreen trim, floor mats. I may even replace differential fluid. Getting the required diagnostic tools for the eventual problems. The car uses no oil, (use 5W-40 full syn) or has any oil leaks, or leaks period, and still gets 26 mpg in town and 31+ hwy (91 Oct). I will work on the door dings and one minor dent (dine size) and paint chips last. So far I love this car which is a world above what I was driving. For the vale, I spent the same on the U.S. car I was driving as the BMW, but now I have the BMW! At 5K this is the only way I could get into the lux car market and I turns out I got the best!!! I have had the car three months, (4000 mi) but what months. So I must be fair. But what start!!! Remember with concentrated coolant use distilled water!!

Reliable
By josh37

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 BMW 530i with about 80,000 miles on it. It now has 140,000 on it. I have not had any MAJOR problem, but little ones here and there.. For a while, the car would just cut off at a stop light or in the drive way or anywhere when you hit the gas. It always started right back up, but it started getting worse and worse.. Nobody could tell me what was wrong with it because it didnt have any engine lights on... One day it cut off and the service engine soon light came on... It turned out to be the Camshaft posision sensor.. Now it runs like its brand new. Had a bad oil leak but only cost me $30 to get fixed. Cup holders are broke, and the wheels get break dust on them pretty bad...

Power, Handling, build quality, RELIABLE

Im sure all the problems have been resolved in the newer models...

Absolutely Fantastic !!!!
By phimebaugh

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Look, I know cars. I have driven many many cars and trucks of all kinds. I have an SL500 in the garage which I thought was pretty much the perfect driving machine. Hah, !!! Short version is that if you want to arrive and be seen buy a Mercedes, if you actually care about the driving experience, and the trip is more important than the arrival, do yourself a favor and get the BMW.
I now understand why it's the ultimate driving machine, that's not an ad campaign, it's the real thing. After this wears out there is nowhere to go except into a newer BMW. If you have the means I highly recommend it.

Six cylinder that puts out this kind of performance and get the gas mileage of a four cylinder... Priceless. German engineering second to none. Interior. Sport Package is a must have, do not be fooled into buying one without it. Ac is super cold, there is nothing on this car that will not exceed your expectations. Read improvements.

You absolutely will be amazed with this car if you buy a clean private owner car with records, you buy one with a shady history and then it will be the same as any other make or model with a myriad of problems. Mine has 116,000 miles and drives like it rolled off the showroom floor yesterday, I cannot stress enough a good maintenance history.

I've loved this one
By Anonymous

2001 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car new and have kept it 10 years. Have the manual transmission. Has been a dream to drive. Have had some maintenance issues, (blown radiator, fan, lights, replaced almost all suspension parts) and its really costly to get repaired. So, I went to the dealer to drive the new 2011 535, what a disappointment. The new one has more power, but has lost the great driving feel. It is just a completely different car than the old one. I guess I'll just drive my 2001 until the wheels fall off.

Preciseness of driving feel especially when I get the acceleration and gear shifts in perfect harmony.

replaced the cupholders 5 times