2001 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Reliable
By josh37 on 03/15/12 06:20 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 BMW 530i with about 80,000 miles on it. It now has 140,000 on it. I have not had any MAJOR problem, but little ones here and there.. For a while, the car would just cut off at a stop light or in the drive way or anywhere when you hit the gas. It always started right back up, but it started getting worse and worse.. Nobody could tell me what was wrong with it because it didnt have any engine lights on... One day it cut off and the service engine soon light came on... It turned out to be the Camshaft posision sensor.. Now it runs like its brand new. Had a bad oil leak but only cost me $30 to get fixed. Cup holders are broke, and the wheels get break dust on them pretty bad...

Absolutely Fantastic !!!!
By phimebaugh on 06/09/11 16:51 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Look, I know cars. I have driven many many cars and trucks of all kinds. I have an SL500 in the garage which I thought was pretty much the perfect driving machine. Hah, !!! Short version is that if you want to arrive and be seen buy a Mercedes, if you actually care about the driving experience, and the trip is more important than the arrival, do yourself a favor and get the BMW. I now understand why it's the ultimate driving machine, that's not an ad campaign, it's the real thing. After this wears out there is nowhere to go except into a newer BMW. If you have the means I highly recommend it.

I've loved this one
By Anonymous on 12/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car new and have kept it 10 years. Have the manual transmission. Has been a dream to drive. Have had some maintenance issues, (blown radiator, fan, lights, replaced almost all suspension parts) and its really costly to get repaired. So, I went to the dealer to drive the new 2011 535, what a disappointment. The new one has more power, but has lost the great driving feel. It is just a completely different car than the old one. I guess I'll just drive my 2001 until the wheels fall off.

I love this car
By Destiny on 07/12/10 04:27 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee before this, so I am used to well made cars with power, but this car I must gives a driving experience far better than the rest. Take good care of it though because every time my boyfriend is rough on it, it seems like something need to be repaired. Cup holders piss me off!! But other then that I looooovvvvveee this car soooooo much!

BMW = Bring My Wallet!
By Sissy on 02/20/10 07:28 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This beauty is my second Bimmer and I am addicted to BMWs but can no longer justify the costly repairs. The first big repairs began shortly after purchasing. All went well until passing the 75,000 mark and then the expensive, timely and major repairs began...oil leaks, radiator/flywheel replacement, power steering, transmission, etc. The cup holder did break & the brake lights constantly require bulb replacement but those are so minor compared with the others. I LOVE my girl and feel so safe but can't afford these continuing repairs.

Best car I've ever owned
By Rubens on 05/27/09 16:26 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car is one of the best bimmer ever made. Reliable and performance are the words describing this baby. For best drive you will need to maintain the car...and when I say maintaining I mean it. So far I spend about 1000$ a year (it's my 3rd year for breaks, oil and air filter...tune up). But I still enjoy and love this beast!!!!

Not that bad!
By josh37 on 03/29/09 12:02 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car in October of 2008 and I must say I'm not ashamed of my BMW. I get a lot of compliments all the time. It gets good gas mileage and has a lot of get up and go. I had a 2003 Nissan Maxima SE before this car and the BMW is as good as it. I'm only 16 also. I recently had to replace the alternator and I'm having to get new tires and rims because of a roaring noise but I was gonna get new tires and rims anyways so that is not a real big deal. Overall I LOVE THIS CAR!!!

Black on Beige Sport/Premium
By The Tom on 02/03/09 07:07 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first non-US made car and I am in love with "my baby". I am 6'3" and 260 lbs. The 530 fits like a glove. Plus I have a family so I use the space of the 5-series. To me, it is the best of everything. As of this writing I have logged over 30k miles as I purchased pre-owned. Has had a bit more maintenance cost than my US cars however it is a high-end car which drives and looks like no other. Most issues are regular 'wear-out' items like H2O pump, hoses, belts.

No Compromises
By Jeff on 08/28/08 12:36 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Found a 2001 530i Sport for the same price as a used Accord. After driving primarily American and Japanese front wheel drive vehicles for 15 years, the no compromise engineering that goes into BMW was like attending a driving revival. RWD, I-6, trunk located battery, 50/50 weight distribution, aluminum 4 wheel independent suspension, etc make this vehicle drive like lawyers don't exist at BMW. Some cars will turn and accelerate well when you ask them to, this car begs you to turn and accelerate at every chance. It accelerates quicker than a 3.0L should; it handles better than any 3500 Lb vehicle should. Balanced, focused, no compromise performance. The Ultimate Driving Machine.

The best car of its time
By mrmomo313 on 03/30/08 23:04 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought her 7 years ago and it feels the way it did when it pulled out of the showroom. Car runs perfect. I have never had to fix anything on it. I take it for its usaul check ups. This is the Ultimate Driving Machine! Buy it if you need a new car.

1 2 3 4 5 next »