2001 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Not your average soccer mom ride
By Banditt on 09/20/06 08:44 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this 525i wagon because the purchase price of the wagons were lower than the sedans, and I have two kids. I have yet to be disappointed. The low center of gravity (I stand taller than the car) and wide wheelbase give it a solid, performance feel very similiar to the sedan. Also, interior room rivals my Chrysler pacifica. It is amazing how much clear space there is for hauling with the seats down. The level control system compensates the suspension beautifully with a full load of family and stuff. It is a beautiful orient blue with honeycomb BMW rims, low profile tires and tinted windows. I love it.

Love isn't blind
By Roadster on 12/17/05 12:13 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Love the car overall and cannot find anything comparable. Outstanding gas mileage & performance. Smooth quiet and responsive ride and handling. Accessories are light weight... cup holders replaced twice, don't work well anyway, sunroof replaced twice after falling from tilt mode. Bought it certified so have the extended warranty and bought extended maint... so far well worth it. The parking sensors are fantastic, all cars should have them.

Things break
By kathysav on 11/14/04 16:34 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I love the way my Alpine wagon drives, but a lot of little things inside break, and often. The cup holder (poor design) has broken 4 times. Now, I no longer use it. The back sunshade has broken, and the indise mouldings fall off if touched while entering and exiting the car. Dealer does not make it easy to buy parts to fix yourself. Great performance, but sad that the inside quality is not up to snuff. I would expect more from our BMW. Seats are not comfortable for long journeys!

Sport wagon for everyone
By BMWPILOT on 11/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

You don't have to have kids to own this car. This is my 3rd BMW and I love it. Came out of a Nissan SUV which was nice but the gas milage and ride was KILLING me.I am now getting 30MPG on the highway! My last BMW was an 89 3 series (2.5L) that I had for 225,000 miles so I know this engine can go the distance and all of the extras on this car are amazing (fully loaded).

simple and nice
By MongMong on 06/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

it's simple, classy, nice

Love my wagon!
By 01 525 Wagon Owner on 08/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Wen my wife and I were about to have our first child a couple of years ago, we looked at every SUV on the market. Nothing satisfied us, plus the fuel mileage for the SUV's was horrible. My wife then suggested a BMW wagon. We went to the dealership, and I was pleasantly surprised! We have the sport package that makes the car sit a bit lower with nice low-profile tires. It also has tight steering due to the sport package. I feel comfortable driving this car even when the kids (we have since had another one) are not in the car.

most bang 4 the buck
By LION MCCOY on 05/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

i've always wanted a wagon,however, i dont have any kids...YET.the price of this vehicle was enough for me 2 sign $28,000 for a 2001 bmw 525i wagon w/ only 22,000 miles i have had sooooo much fun driving u can buy bmw's back of book

What a family truckster
By danno on 03/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Tired of your SUV, rising gas prices... want german luxury, and yet flawless performance handling. This BMW wagon rules the mid size wagon roost... and for those of you with families, it's top notch safety ratings can let you get a "sportscar" in a wagon.

Solid engine, solid tranny, solid car!
By PTS on 03/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Paid $32,000, 2 years old and 29,000mi. Drives like a dream, especially love the engine together with the Steptronic, so willing to take RPMs and shift. Adaptive feature great in mountains, better than normal auto tranny. Manual shifting is great for downhill control. Interior feels solid and luxurious. Wagon has some nice features with the bar that allows you to close off the trunk, put up a net to prevents pets from using leather seats, even when rear seats are down, the bar can be moved in front of the rear seat and still have preventive net, great engineering.

Not your usual boring wagon!
By jvinca on 03/11/02 16:21 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

After seven years driving my reliable but plodding Volvo 940, my new 525iT is a luxurious breath of fresh air! It may look like your tame suburban station wagon, but it drives like a spirited sports car. The optional leather seats and interior are luxurious and the premium sound system superb. I keep finding excuses to go driving!