Used 2001 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Reliable
By josh37

2001 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 BMW 530i with about 80,000 miles on it. It now has 140,000 on it. I have not had any MAJOR problem, but little ones here and there.. For a while, the car would just cut off at a stop light or in the drive way or anywhere when you hit the gas. It always started right back up, but it started getting worse and worse.. Nobody could tell me what was wrong with it because it didnt have any engine lights on... One day it cut off and the service engine soon light came on... It turned out to be the Camshaft posision sensor.. Now it runs like its brand new. Had a bad oil leak but only cost me $30 to get fixed. Cup holders are broke, and the wheels get break dust on them pretty bad...

Favorite Features

Power, Handling, build quality, RELIABLE

Suggested Improvements

Im sure all the problems have been resolved in the newer models...

Absolutely Fantastic !!!!
By phimebaugh

2001 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Look, I know cars. I have driven many many cars and trucks of all kinds. I have an SL500 in the garage which I thought was pretty much the perfect driving machine. Hah, !!! Short version is that if you want to arrive and be seen buy a Mercedes, if you actually care about the driving experience, and the trip is more important than the arrival, do yourself a favor and get the BMW. I now understand why it's the ultimate driving machine, that's not an ad campaign, it's the real thing. After this wears out there is nowhere to go except into a newer BMW. If you have the means I highly recommend it.

Favorite Features

Six cylinder that puts out this kind of performance and get the gas mileage of a four cylinder... Priceless. German engineering second to none. Interior. Sport Package is a must have, do not be fooled into buying one without it. Ac is super cold, there is nothing on this car that will not exceed your expectations. Read improvements.

Suggested Improvements

You absolutely will be amazed with this car if you buy a clean private owner car with records, you buy one with a shady history and then it will be the same as any other make or model with a myriad of problems. Mine has 116,000 miles and drives like it rolled off the showroom floor yesterday, I cannot stress enough a good maintenance history.

I've loved this one
By Anonymous

2001 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car new and have kept it 10 years. Have the manual transmission. Has been a dream to drive. Have had some maintenance issues, (blown radiator, fan, lights, replaced almost all suspension parts) and its really costly to get repaired. So, I went to the dealer to drive the new 2011 535, what a disappointment. The new one has more power, but has lost the great driving feel. It is just a completely different car than the old one. I guess I'll just drive my 2001 until the wheels fall off.

Favorite Features

Preciseness of driving feel especially when I get the acceleration and gear shifts in perfect harmony.

Suggested Improvements

replaced the cupholders 5 times

I love this car
By Destiny

2001 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee before this, so I am used to well made cars with power, but this car I must gives a driving experience far better than the rest. Take good care of it though because every time my boyfriend is rough on it, it seems like something need to be repaired. Cup holders piss me off!! But other then that I looooovvvvveee this car soooooo much!

Favorite Features

Driving Experience

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders cup holders cup holders!

Bad Experience 540, m-sport
By rams

2001 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I purchase this vehicle for my wife. Looks and feels excellent. powerful v- 8, excellent handling however it had 277,000 kilometers. i understand that with this mileage the car may need repairs et.. however the engine had a stalling problem. When stopping the RPM gauge would drop causing the engine to stall sometimes. the problem became progressively worse. BMW and 2 other mechanics looked at the car and ran scan tests. Nobody was able to solve the problem. I sold the car as is and lost thousands. Buyer beware

Favorite Features

m-sport appearance, power and handling