2001 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Reliable
By josh37 on 03/15/12 06:20 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 BMW 530i with about 80,000 miles on it. It now has 140,000 on it. I have not had any MAJOR problem, but little ones here and there.. For a while, the car would just cut off at a stop light or in the drive way or anywhere when you hit the gas. It always started right back up, but it started getting worse and worse.. Nobody could tell me what was wrong with it because it didnt have any engine lights on... One day it cut off and the service engine soon light came on... It turned out to be the Camshaft posision sensor.. Now it runs like its brand new. Had a bad oil leak but only cost me $30 to get fixed. Cup holders are broke, and the wheels get break dust on them pretty bad...

Absolutely Fantastic !!!!
By phimebaugh on 06/09/11 16:51 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Look, I know cars. I have driven many many cars and trucks of all kinds. I have an SL500 in the garage which I thought was pretty much the perfect driving machine. Hah, !!! Short version is that if you want to arrive and be seen buy a Mercedes, if you actually care about the driving experience, and the trip is more important than the arrival, do yourself a favor and get the BMW. I now understand why it's the ultimate driving machine, that's not an ad campaign, it's the real thing. After this wears out there is nowhere to go except into a newer BMW. If you have the means I highly recommend it.

I've loved this one
By Anonymous on 12/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car new and have kept it 10 years. Have the manual transmission. Has been a dream to drive. Have had some maintenance issues, (blown radiator, fan, lights, replaced almost all suspension parts) and its really costly to get repaired. So, I went to the dealer to drive the new 2011 535, what a disappointment. The new one has more power, but has lost the great driving feel. It is just a completely different car than the old one. I guess I'll just drive my 2001 until the wheels fall off.

I love this car
By Destiny on 07/12/10 04:27 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee before this, so I am used to well made cars with power, but this car I must gives a driving experience far better than the rest. Take good care of it though because every time my boyfriend is rough on it, it seems like something need to be repaired. Cup holders piss me off!! But other then that I looooovvvvveee this car soooooo much!

Bad Experience 540, m-sport
By rams on 03/27/10 14:03 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I purchase this vehicle for my wife. Looks and feels excellent. powerful v- 8, excellent handling however it had 277,000 kilometers. i understand that with this mileage the car may need repairs et.. however the engine had a stalling problem. When stopping the RPM gauge would drop causing the engine to stall sometimes. the problem became progressively worse. BMW and 2 other mechanics looked at the car and ran scan tests. Nobody was able to solve the problem. I sold the car as is and lost thousands. Buyer beware

BMW = Bring My Wallet!
By Sissy on 02/20/10 07:28 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This beauty is my second Bimmer and I am addicted to BMWs but can no longer justify the costly repairs. The first big repairs began shortly after purchasing. All went well until passing the 75,000 mark and then the expensive, timely and major repairs began...oil leaks, radiator/flywheel replacement, power steering, transmission, etc. The cup holder did break & the brake lights constantly require bulb replacement but those are so minor compared with the others. I LOVE my girl and feel so safe but can't afford these continuing repairs.

Great ride despite high maintenance cost
By SeanK on 10/19/09 21:20 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I was looking for a luxury car to modify into a performance vehicle (gs300 +turbo kit & +tranny swap). When I found this car looking for 6 speed rear wheel drives, I was immediately taken. Quick, comfortable & connected. Why buy another luxury automobile and turn it into a performance vehicle when you can buy one that is already dialed in. They are rare to find, and even more rare w/ low miles & in good condition. Car feels glued to the road at any speed the governor allows. After leaning on the throttle uphill in 6th, I realized how much power this engine has. If you understand the cost of ownership, go for it. You will not be disappointed. If you care about MPG, get a different car!

love my 540
By love my 540 on 08/01/09 11:30 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

love my 540 It is the 5th BMW i have owned I still like the classic BMW look of the 540 It is a 6 speed manual fun to drive on the high way Veary techno for 2001 model(heated seats leather) Sport seats are comfortable except back seat passengers do not have much leg room

Great Car
By WRC13 on 07/11/09 21:27 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

This is my dream car. Having owned a couple of 3 series over the years I am partial to BMW. So take my advice for what it is worth. The motor is great. Mileage is not great. Comfort high. Transmission smooth. 18" wheels look great and the ride is still good. The only complaint from me is the steering does not feel quite as crisp as the 530I. I think this is due to the weight of the V8 so BMW had to use a different setup. And about those flimsy cupholders. Who in their right mind would eat and drink in a $60,000 car while driving around...

Best car I've ever owned
By Rubens on 05/27/09 16:26 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car is one of the best bimmer ever made. Reliable and performance are the words describing this baby. For best drive you will need to maintain the car...and when I say maintaining I mean it. So far I spend about 1000$ a year (it's my 3rd year for breaks, oil and air filter...tune up). But I still enjoy and love this beast!!!!