2000 BMW 5 Series Consumer Review: What a car should be

2000 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Review

What a car should be
By grovesd on

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

I have owned my BMW 528i since June, 2000. It has 85,000 miles and I have had only one significant repair - an electronic component affecting the transmission's performance. Other than that, this car has been a dream to own and drive. It has loads of safety features and drives like a car should drive. It's a solid, responsive, road- hugging blast. The inline 6 is throaty and powerful although you won't be pinned to your seat like the V8 540i. Two gripes for me - the bucket seats are not comfortable in long drives and the environmental controls require too much button mashing. What the heck is wrong with a knob? Still very happy and I'll own this car for at least another 50,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Interior materials are first rate, easy to clean and to keep looking new. Front and side air-bags, traction control sensors and other safety features make this a car you can feel quite safe driving in today's heavy traffic and in poor weather.

Suggested Improvements

Thermostat and environmental controls rely entirely on buttons, no easy twist of a knob for fan speed or temp. The pop-out cup holders are useless and should never be used. They'll only break and fail to re-stow properly.