2000 BMW 5 Series Consumer Review: Ultimate Driving Machine Requi

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Review

Ultimate Driving Machine Requires Repair
By AD on

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Without question, the finest vehicle I have ever driven or owned in terms of the driving experience. On the other hand, without question the most expensive vehicle to keep in top running condition. I purchased the car with 82k miles where the car was a single owner with all maintenance up to date. In the 15k miles I owned it, I replaced a radiator, rear brakes, oxygen sensor, air mass flow meter, belts, radiator cap and rear ball joints. Also, had multiple issues passing state inspection due to Check Engine Light (where mechanic could not fix) In comparing other Bimmer owners, my experience is consistent... Ultimate Driving Machine that is Expensive to Own

Performance, Ride, Handling, Braking. Once went from 90 to 30 as quickly as possible due to lane infringement - car never shook or quivered - just stopped on a dime. Saved us from a nasty accident.

Interior quality is suspect in a couple of areas: cup holders, rattles in dash, and plastic seat modlings on driver side break and cause power motors in seat to disconnect. Overall, I would say BMW needs to improve reliability. For a $55k car, repairs should be less of an issue.