Used 2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Overpriced hassle
By TexRider

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

This car offers good balance between comfort and fun sporty ride. Bit stiff for this class, unless you're driving on the perfect highway, you feel every little bump on the road. Seats are very uncomfortable. After 3 years of ownership, I suffer major back problems. Sound insulation could be better. But the biggest and the worst problem with this car is reliability. I have never owned such unreliable vehicle. Something breaks every 1000-1500 miles. I purchased mine as Certified Pre-Owned and can't get out of repair shops. Most of repairs are covered by the warranty, but I am tired of going to the dealership every month.

Brakes are exceptional! Very responsive steering.

Seats don't have lumbar support, which is unacceptable for this class. Material quality is also not good. Leather on the seats losing color. And quality, quality, quality!!

Performance, Reliability, and Economy
By headhound

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I have had the car for over 56,000 miles and 106,000 miles overall. Recent engine oil analysis showed almost no wear. Gas mileage is averaging 24 MPG in mixed driving. Car has exceptional acceleration at any speed and even better braking. As much under control at 120 as at 40. Interior comfort could be better but control layout is totally logical. Some wear on seat plastic trim. Maintenance is easy but not cheap. Expensive but worth it.

Acceleration. Braking. Handling. Fuel economy. Great sound system. Logical layout of controls.

Cost of maintenance. Wear of minor time. Seats could be more comfortable.

I'd buy one again
By Pam

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I am the original owner, ordered it new. I love the performance, handling and the way it it can make a u-turn in such a small space. With the 42k that I have on it I have had to replace the radiator, and 2 of the sensors. The last time, BMW did not charge me because of the low miles on the car. That I appreciated. Living in NJ where there is a lot of traffic, pulling onto the Parkway is very easy with the power of this car. People are amazed at the speed and pickup that it has.It still does, after owning it for 6 yrs. This car came standard with everything one needs. I would buy another one.

Looks, handling, and pick-up speed.The seats are very comfortable for me and my passengers agree.The sound system is excellent.

Cup holders. A compass would be nice. I don't need a navagation system.

Best Car EVER
By Autobahn driver

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

This is my 6th BMW and my favorite overall. Took delivery at German factory and drove in Europe for 6 months at autobahn speeds, then another 6 years of pure fun. Quiet, safe and secure at 50 mph or 120 mph. Except for the cupholders and the climate control, everything has held up beautifully, and the body style is a classic. Sports package and 5-speed manual makes the car. Repairs are getting expensive but worth it as I plan to keep this car another 6 years. A radar detector is recommended.

Handling and secure feeling inside the car. Comfortable to drive under all conditions.

Cupholders still terrible even on the new models but there are aftermarket fixes.

Own it till it stops
By ritzcook

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Have owned 5 series since '85 - 528e, 535is, M5, u name it. This car has been the best of the lot. Beautiful classic exterior and interior lines - 2.8L is BMW's most reliable in-line 6 with plenty o' power (yes the M5 clearly is the pocket rocket, but 2.8 can get up and go and is easier on the gas guzzling.) The E39 is also the last 5 model without the ridiculous iDrive computer, which is completely unneccessary for driving, a safety hazard and blight on the dashboard. No major repair issues to date. When this stops running, I'll buy another used E39.