2000 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews 5

2000 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Great car to buy for the money
By IK on 02/17/05 00:41 AM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used. It already had 92000 miles. I drove for one year and it is over 100K. The car runs perfect and in a very good shape. The only thing is you have to change the oil on time and the car will last you for a very long time. It is perfect for short or long trips. You can be a single person or have a family, this car will work for you no matter what. When it comes to snow, it is not that difficult to drive if you know what you're doing. Overall, the car is great and I would recomend it to anyone who can afford it.

Yeah, baby!!
By Childersb on 01/04/05 22:44 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

My wife made me buy it. Honest! I was set on a 2002 Lexus IS300. Boy, was she ever right! There is just no comparison between the two. This is by far a classier, more powerful (and expensive) animal of a car! And, I bought it with17K miles for $10K below book. Yeah, baby!! I bought an Extended Warranty for $2400 and have gotten $2000 worth of use from it. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND AN EXTENDED WARRANTY FOR THESE CARS!! As has been said, repairs are expensive -every time. Though, I have had no major issues with this car. I put Bridgestone Potenza SO-3 Pole Position tires - $1Kfor 4 - 20K miles a set - on this car. It LOVES the rain, almost better than the dry road. I LOVE THIS CAR!

2000 528i Sport
By mhardey on 08/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car since new, and after three and one-half years and 108,000 miles still feels like a new car. The ride on the sport suspension is solid as a rock; with Bridgestone Pole Position S-03's it goes around corners like it's on rails, yet is quiet on the highway. At a steady 65 mph will deliver 32+ mpg. Outstanding for a car that can do 0-60 in under 8 seconds and is capable of cruising all day at 90 mph with incredible comfort.

Allen's critique
By BMWfool on 08/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

This car is a gas to drive. Responsive and solid. Feels and handles like a sports car. Now the bad news: be prepared to be raped by your local BMW service dept. They assume all owners are rich and do not care about price. My dealer was charging my wife $125 for an oil change!(Try $8 a qt. for Mobil 1 that can be had at parts stores for under $6) Routine repairs are always $800 to $1,000. I have all the service records and will be happy to share the news.I will buy another when pigs learn to fly. My '01 Corvette is faster,way cooler and I get the oil changed for $40.

2000 540i 6-spd.
By El Jefe on 07/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Fantastic, fantastic car. Elegant and luxurious, but crack the whip and you can get places in a hurry. Doesn't handle or feel like a 3,800 lb. car. I had a '99 M3 for three years and loved that rig, but this one can essentially do everything that car could, while offering more room and many more standard features. Too bad BMW lost focus and is now turning out hideous designs and chasing after segments they should never bother touching.

worth every penny
By mieciu on 07/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

My first, definitely not the last.. I left it for a service and got a Chevy Tahoe as a loaner. What a difference in steering. I could not go straight! Once back in my BMW I felt like being bolted to the road. Great overall; smooth ride except sharp bumps (those joints on a concrete highway).

FUN...at a price
By Susieb on 06/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

What a great car to drive...for the first 80,000 miles. Since then, one thing after another has started to fail, and of course, it costs a fortune each time. If money isn't an issue to you, I would recommend this car to anyone. You can't beat the adrenaline rush of dropping a gear at 80mph and feeling the car jump forward!

BMW 540i 6sp
By archieDude on 06/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

This car is always a pleasure to drive and its stealth performance is there when you need it. The body style and popularity of lesser 5-series models doesn't turn heads but this car is made to thrill the driver, not the bystanders. Cupholder criticisms aside, the quality and durability is everything that its numerous awards suggest.

Ulimate Discomfort Machine
By cobo on 06/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

The sport seats have nearly crippled me. The seat cushion sags even under my moderate 170 lb. frame. This causes spine to flatten and forces a slouch position. The lumbar support tries to force your spine into normal curvature, but it is poorly positioned, hard as a rock, and not adjustable. I've never been so pleased with a car, and yet been unable to enjoy it due to the major discomfort of the seats. I've owned 10+ cars and driven countless European, Japanese and American cars on business trips. I've never had a seat bother me before, despite very long trips.

Some Practical Advice
By nycdoofus on 05/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Great car, solidly built, nimble at high speeds. Monstrous brakes and the Stability system has saved me more than once - getting itself out of an understeer. There is only one real weakness - the tires. Once I upgraded the tires (wait for them to go on sale, $150s per tire every now and then, though i paid the full 200) i could not have been happier. Now I don't need to endanger all of my neighbors and strangers by driving a car-crash-incompatible SUV and menacing the roads in general. Last winter (a doozy of one on the East Coast), I drove 364 out of 365 days and that the vast majority of rolled-over and road-side crashed cars were trucks like the Explorer and Blazer.