Used 2000 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 101 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

The best car I ever had. Period.
By Pablo

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

This is by far the best car I ever had, comfortable and it is 100% fully loaded with all the gadgets. Ride is smooth and it has a lot of power, I will buy another 5 series any time.

Power and the smooth ride.

I had some electronic problems and the CD used to skip all the time. I tried to fix that several times but, it kept doing it. Parts could be really expensive, so is maintenance.

Stay with the E39
By Sim Simma Bimma

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Ok, this is my second Bimma. 1st was an 84 325e that saved me a couple of times. I bought this 528i in 06 with only 35k miles on it. Only issues were the typical stuff that I had my dealership fix. The reason I am writing this review is to state that I just got 620 miles on 1 tank of gas. I am no "hiper-miler" but that's outstanding. That equated to 34 mpg. Just installed my own cd player and a sub. 10 speakers and still no bass. great thing is that my radio charges my bbery curve.

Gas mileage, look and performance. How could I forget about the DSC. That feature is one of the best features on any car.

Lumbar support, fold down rear seats, better cup holders. Maintenance is expensive but if you can't afford the maintenance, you can't afford the car.

MPG
By Jan

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Awful cup holders with AC blowing on them. Mine has 94,000 and just performs more gracefully with age. Recommend you absolutely find a local garage that you trust and you will save at least half of dealer repairs. My MPG indicates 5.9 miles per gallon (not, not on liter scale). But I seem to be getting about 16 MPG, which is not great. For first time this week, I used 89 instead of 91 at the pump and car is running beautifully.

Performance. Manual shift is wonderful. Exterior lovely, soft lines. Never want another car!

Fun but expensive
By ServicePatrol

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Owned the 528 with M sport package, The sport package is a must if you really wanted to experience true BMW performance. Definitely consider snow tires if you live in wintery climate. This car is great HOWEVER I hope you make good money because you will need it... an oil change alone is $135.00. All I can say is it doesn't get serviced that often but when it does be prepared to shell out the cash. You are better off to have your "out of warranty" Beemer service at a reputable european car service center. back to performance it is 2nd to none.

handling with the M sport package

Cup holders and don't give me this BS that you are not suppose to drink coffee while driving a BMW.

I love it
By Bix

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Wagon

The title says it all, truth is this is the overall very best car I've ever owned. After over 30K miles I still smile every time I drive the car. And because it's a touring model I can haul real things. The only complaint I actually have is stupid and dangerous cupholders. Oddly the only cup which works is "Mini" mug.

Driving dynamics