Used 2000 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Fun but expensive
By ServicePatrol

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Owned the 528 with M sport package, The sport package is a must if you really wanted to experience true BMW performance. Definitely consider snow tires if you live in wintery climate. This car is great HOWEVER I hope you make good money because you will need it... an oil change alone is $135.00. All I can say is it doesn't get serviced that often but when it does be prepared to shell out the cash. You are better off to have your "out of warranty" Beemer service at a reputable european car service center. back to performance it is 2nd to none.

handling with the M sport package

Cup holders and don't give me this BS that you are not suppose to drink coffee while driving a BMW.

I love it
By Bix

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Wagon

The title says it all, truth is this is the overall very best car I've ever owned. After over 30K miles I still smile every time I drive the car. And because it's a touring model I can haul real things. The only complaint I actually have is stupid and dangerous cupholders. Oddly the only cup which works is "Mini" mug.

Driving dynamics

2000 540i sport
By i006129

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

After five years of driving, the 540 with the sport package is the most fun car I have ever driven. The six speed manual is a necessity. That said, this is also the most delicate car I have ever driven. Lots of issues with sensors, water pump and radiator replacement etc. The radio is also less than stellar. Not even worth calling a stereo. I spend on average $1500-2000/year on maintenance and repairs. Part of this cost is getting the wheels repaired after hitting speed bumps too fast (sport package comes w/low profile tires and alloy wheels). I don't know if this is typical, but I'd suggest budgeting for higher than average repair costs. All that said, i'm still addicted to the drive.

the driving experience, auto dimming r/v mirror, interior

cup holders are CHEAP, fewer sensors to break,

Fun but costly
By shmeezil

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Most fun car to drive I've ever owned when it's running. In 9 months of ownership have spent over 2K on repairs. Best advice is to find a competent independent mechanic who specializes in Bimmers. Going to the dealership for repairs or routine maintenance is a very costly and time-consuming adventure. From a driver's perspective the car is awesome. Enough power off the line and especially when passing on the freeway over 60. The steering makes you feel like you're connected to the pavement. If you can afford the repairs and downtime, this is a fun car to drive.

Performance, handling, overall look of the vehicle

Better reliability

Beautiful car.
By Scottyknows50

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

We bought this car used with 72000 miles on it. Before our first month was up we had to replace the $400 water pump. Other than that we have taken it on some long trips and couldn't be more pleased. This car drives as smoothly at 110 mph as it does at 65 mph. Bridgestone tires are working well for us. My fiancee is the main driver, and when I get to drive it it's usually with her and our son so I don't get to push it like I want to. It is a joy when I do get it out by myself. Acceleration is great for a 2.8 and it corners very well right now, and I will probably get sticker tires for next time. Very enjoyable car to drive.

Love the leather seats, the electric telescope and tilt. Easy to maintain if you have any car knowledge - light bulb replacement is a breeze, very well laid out, and the oil changes are $60 cheaper to do it yourself.

Well, the cupholders. CD player in the cabin, not the trunk. Easier to clean rims (like to collect brake dust, especially up front).