Used 2000 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

MPG
By wmwider

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I have always gotten 23 to 29 mpg with this model 540i m sport. Great automobile, very fun and very fast.

Favorite Features

Manual transmission, heated seats, great sound stereo, comfortable

Suggested Improvements

Higher range in first gear

Amazing to Drive - Extremely Unreliable
By DM

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I have owned my 540i for six years now and will be giving it to my son. It is a pleasure to drive and has very good safety features and can get 28 - 30 MPG cruising on the freeway at 75 MPH. As for reliability - lets just say a Ford Taurus is way better and much less expensive to repair. Even a GM car would have better reliability and that isn't saying much. For as much as I love the way the car drives, I can say I will never own another Bimmer. Looking forward to a Pontiac G8 GT

Favorite Features

Handling, sound system, fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

The rest of the car needs to be engineered to last as long as the body and engine. Too many problems to list and too expensive to repair

The best car I ever had. Period.
By Pablo

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

This is by far the best car I ever had, comfortable and it is 100% fully loaded with all the gadgets. Ride is smooth and it has a lot of power, I will buy another 5 series any time.

Favorite Features

Power and the smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

I had some electronic problems and the CD used to skip all the time. I tried to fix that several times but, it kept doing it. Parts could be really expensive, so is maintenance.

Stay with the E39
By Sim Simma Bimma

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Ok, this is my second Bimma. 1st was an 84 325e that saved me a couple of times. I bought this 528i in 06 with only 35k miles on it. Only issues were the typical stuff that I had my dealership fix. The reason I am writing this review is to state that I just got 620 miles on 1 tank of gas. I am no "hiper-miler" but that's outstanding. That equated to 34 mpg. Just installed my own cd player and a sub. 10 speakers and still no bass. great thing is that my radio charges my bbery curve.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, look and performance. How could I forget about the DSC. That feature is one of the best features on any car.

Suggested Improvements

Lumbar support, fold down rear seats, better cup holders. Maintenance is expensive but if you can't afford the maintenance, you can't afford the car.

MPG
By Jan

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Awful cup holders with AC blowing on them. Mine has 94,000 and just performs more gracefully with age. Recommend you absolutely find a local garage that you trust and you will save at least half of dealer repairs. My MPG indicates 5.9 miles per gallon (not, not on liter scale). But I seem to be getting about 16 MPG, which is not great. For first time this week, I used 89 instead of 91 at the pump and car is running beautifully.

Favorite Features

Performance. Manual shift is wonderful. Exterior lovely, soft lines. Never want another car!