2000 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Performance, Reliability, and Economy
By headhound on 05/30/06 15:43 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I have had the car for over 56,000 miles and 106,000 miles overall. Recent engine oil analysis showed almost no wear. Gas mileage is averaging 24 MPG in mixed driving. Car has exceptional acceleration at any speed and even better braking. As much under control at 120 as at 40. Interior comfort could be better but control layout is totally logical. Some wear on seat plastic trim. Maintenance is easy but not cheap. Expensive but worth it.

I'd buy one again
By Pam on 02/26/06 06:36 AM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I am the original owner, ordered it new. I love the performance, handling and the way it it can make a u-turn in such a small space. With the 42k that I have on it I have had to replace the radiator, and 2 of the sensors. The last time, BMW did not charge me because of the low miles on the car. That I appreciated. Living in NJ where there is a lot of traffic, pulling onto the Parkway is very easy with the power of this car. People are amazed at the speed and pickup that it has.It still does, after owning it for 6 yrs. This car came standard with everything one needs. I would buy another one.

Best Car EVER
By Autobahn driver on 01/22/06 12:56 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

This is my 6th BMW and my favorite overall. Took delivery at German factory and drove in Europe for 6 months at autobahn speeds, then another 6 years of pure fun. Quiet, safe and secure at 50 mph or 120 mph. Except for the cupholders and the climate control, everything has held up beautifully, and the body style is a classic. Sports package and 5-speed manual makes the car. Repairs are getting expensive but worth it as I plan to keep this car another 6 years. A radar detector is recommended.

Own it till it stops
By ritzcook on 12/13/05 11:41 AM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Have owned 5 series since '85 - 528e, 535is, M5, u name it. This car has been the best of the lot. Beautiful classic exterior and interior lines - 2.8L is BMW's most reliable in-line 6 with plenty o' power (yes the M5 clearly is the pocket rocket, but 2.8 can get up and go and is easier on the gas guzzling.) The E39 is also the last 5 model without the ridiculous iDrive computer, which is completely unneccessary for driving, a safety hazard and blight on the dashboard. No major repair issues to date. When this stops running, I'll buy another used E39.

It rocks, but fix the climate control
By BMW Lover on 12/04/05 18:33 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I bought this one with 17k miles on it - for $10K under book. What a deal!!! I replaced the noisy Yokohamas with Bridgestone SO2's (Pole Positions) and could actually hear the beautiful engine sounds. Handles like a dream - loves the rainy roads almost better than the dry. Always ready to go as fast as I dare and never balks. I bought an extended warranty to 7 years/100K miles - great idea. I've gotten more than I paid for the warranty in paid repairs - some are right expensive. Biggest complaint is that BMW Service can't seem to find out why it is blowing A/C in my face when it's 45 degrees outside and I've got both thermostats set on 78-80 degrees. It makes me crazy !!!!!!!!!!!!

Ultimate Driving Machine Requires Repair
By AD on 09/13/05 16:27 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Without question, the finest vehicle I have ever driven or owned in terms of the driving experience. On the other hand, without question the most expensive vehicle to keep in top running condition. I purchased the car with 82k miles where the car was a single owner with all maintenance up to date. In the 15k miles I owned it, I replaced a radiator, rear brakes, oxygen sensor, air mass flow meter, belts, radiator cap and rear ball joints. Also, had multiple issues passing state inspection due to Check Engine Light (where mechanic could not fix) In comparing other Bimmer owners, my experience is consistent... Ultimate Driving Machine that is Expensive to Own

Favorite Car Ever
By cbren007 on 08/25/05 23:56 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

After 6 1/2 years and 123,000 miles, it's time to get a new one. Best car I have ever owned. Aside from Cam Sensors,a Blower Resistor and a power steering hose, only other thing I have done is std stuff like change the Oil. Rule of thumb with BMW is never to use the dealer unless it is a electrical problem and you will save big bucks. Manual and sport pkg is the only way to go. Great performance and avg 25MPG. Car, both inside and outside looks like it did the day I drove it off the lot and performs like new. Unreal fit and finish that lasts and is a Gold Standard for automobiles. My new 530i is on order and I can't wait. Expensive yes, but worth it if you love to drive.

Pricey to own
By Daddio on 04/04/05 22:04 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Greetings fellow beamer owners to be. Well this is by far the nicest car I have ever owned. It has everything you will ever need speed, comfort, luxury. A few things to be aware. Servicing this monster is VERY expensive. Cup holders stink, and it could use a better radio for the money.

It is almost perfect for me.
By Edmond on 04/02/05 01:02 AM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Solid car. No major problems. The following items have been repaired or fixed so far: 1. cam position sensor. 2. Water pump. 3. thermostat. 4. Seatbelt harness cause the SRS light on. Almost all the parts you can order from the internet for very cheap price.

My first car from across the pond...
By skent on 03/24/05 12:50 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Confidence inspiring. That really sums it up. This car has legendary handling, more than adequate power and killer brakes. This is my first BMW and it will not be my last. I was a little concerned about the maintenace stories, but after having the car a while and doing some research on maintaining this car and some of the cures to common issues, I'm not at all worried. Love the styling in and out. The style #66 wheels are my favorite as well.