2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Beautiful car.
By Scottyknows50 on 08/21/07 08:01 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

We bought this car used with 72000 miles on it. Before our first month was up we had to replace the $400 water pump. Other than that we have taken it on some long trips and couldn't be more pleased. This car drives as smoothly at 110 mph as it does at 65 mph. Bridgestone tires are working well for us. My fiancee is the main driver, and when I get to drive it it's usually with her and our son so I don't get to push it like I want to. It is a joy when I do get it out by myself. Acceleration is great for a 2.8 and it corners very well right now, and I will probably get sticker tires for next time. Very enjoyable car to drive.

A foreign muscle car
By luv it on 04/04/07 21:39 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

It took a while to find, but my persistence yielded me a used 540i with aftermarket intake and exhaust upgrades. Stock HP is already 282, and with the upgrades mine is around 310. The 5 series is one of the best combinations of sport and luxury you'll ever find. Don't hesitate to get one!

What a car should be
By grovesd on 11/26/06 11:56 AM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I have owned my BMW 528i since June, 2000. It has 85,000 miles and I have had only one significant repair - an electronic component affecting the transmission's performance. Other than that, this car has been a dream to own and drive. It has loads of safety features and drives like a car should drive. It's a solid, responsive, road- hugging blast. The inline 6 is throaty and powerful although you won't be pinned to your seat like the V8 540i. Two gripes for me - the bucket seats are not comfortable in long drives and the environmental controls require too much button mashing. What the heck is wrong with a knob? Still very happy and I'll own this car for at least another 50,000 miles.

Pleasure and pain
By cobra27 on 10/30/06 16:19 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I bought the car w/38k miles. In the 22k I've put on it, it's given me lots of smiles, and also had me cursing at it. It's a great performer and handler, but I've replaced a mass air sensor, camshaft sensor, CD changer and more. I'm not sure if I would get another one.

Good Car
By hmcdade on 10/02/06 10:11 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Like owning the 2000 BMW 528i. Performance is perfect with soft braking. Maintenance is higher than other cars (to be expected), but if you stay away from dealer and find other BMW specialty mechanic shops, your wallet will be happier.

Overpriced hassle
By TexRider on 07/20/06 06:51 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

This car offers good balance between comfort and fun sporty ride. Bit stiff for this class, unless you're driving on the perfect highway, you feel every little bump on the road. Seats are very uncomfortable. After 3 years of ownership, I suffer major back problems. Sound insulation could be better. But the biggest and the worst problem with this car is reliability. I have never owned such unreliable vehicle. Something breaks every 1000-1500 miles. I purchased mine as Certified Pre-Owned and can't get out of repair shops. Most of repairs are covered by the warranty, but I am tired of going to the dealership every month.

Performance, Reliability, and Economy
By headhound on 05/30/06 15:43 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I have had the car for over 56,000 miles and 106,000 miles overall. Recent engine oil analysis showed almost no wear. Gas mileage is averaging 24 MPG in mixed driving. Car has exceptional acceleration at any speed and even better braking. As much under control at 120 as at 40. Interior comfort could be better but control layout is totally logical. Some wear on seat plastic trim. Maintenance is easy but not cheap. Expensive but worth it.

I'd buy one again
By Pam on 02/26/06 06:36 AM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I am the original owner, ordered it new. I love the performance, handling and the way it it can make a u-turn in such a small space. With the 42k that I have on it I have had to replace the radiator, and 2 of the sensors. The last time, BMW did not charge me because of the low miles on the car. That I appreciated. Living in NJ where there is a lot of traffic, pulling onto the Parkway is very easy with the power of this car. People are amazed at the speed and pickup that it has.It still does, after owning it for 6 yrs. This car came standard with everything one needs. I would buy another one.

Best Car EVER
By Autobahn driver on 01/22/06 12:56 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

This is my 6th BMW and my favorite overall. Took delivery at German factory and drove in Europe for 6 months at autobahn speeds, then another 6 years of pure fun. Quiet, safe and secure at 50 mph or 120 mph. Except for the cupholders and the climate control, everything has held up beautifully, and the body style is a classic. Sports package and 5-speed manual makes the car. Repairs are getting expensive but worth it as I plan to keep this car another 6 years. A radar detector is recommended.

Own it till it stops
By ritzcook on 12/13/05 11:41 AM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Have owned 5 series since '85 - 528e, 535is, M5, u name it. This car has been the best of the lot. Beautiful classic exterior and interior lines - 2.8L is BMW's most reliable in-line 6 with plenty o' power (yes the M5 clearly is the pocket rocket, but 2.8 can get up and go and is easier on the gas guzzling.) The E39 is also the last 5 model without the ridiculous iDrive computer, which is completely unneccessary for driving, a safety hazard and blight on the dashboard. No major repair issues to date. When this stops running, I'll buy another used E39.