Used 2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

The Best of the Best
By raiderddj

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Owning a 528i with sport package puts a daily smile on my face. No other four door sedan has this classy appearance and exceptional feel for the road. Power is average but the sound and feel of the engine is second to none. Handling is superb as is braking. Creature comforts are excellent with the exception of the cheesy cup holders.

Favorite Features

Cornering, Braking, Engine Sound, Interior Quality, Exterior Appearance, Ease of Oil Changes (just do it yourself, easier than your American or Japanese car!)

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders...blah...blah...blah...don't change a thing!!!

2000 BMW 528i car for rich people
By Andre

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Very expensive to maintain. A lot of plastic details clips, houses, etc., in engine that needs to replace. Only rich people can afford to have this car serviced at dealership. You need to have 1K in your pocket all the time for unexpected maintenance. I would not take this car for a very long trip. Prepare to downtime. Do not buy it if you do not have a good mechanic you can trust.

Favorite Features

Exterior and Interior design is awesome. Very powerful. You look very stylish in this car, very safe.

Suggested Improvements

Engine temperature. Plastic parts in engine. Cooling system is poor. Air conditioner.

MPG
By wmwider

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I have always gotten 23 to 29 mpg with this model 540i m sport. Great automobile, very fun and very fast.

Favorite Features

Manual transmission, heated seats, great sound stereo, comfortable

Suggested Improvements

Higher range in first gear

Amazing to Drive - Extremely Unreliable
By DM

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I have owned my 540i for six years now and will be giving it to my son. It is a pleasure to drive and has very good safety features and can get 28 - 30 MPG cruising on the freeway at 75 MPH. As for reliability - lets just say a Ford Taurus is way better and much less expensive to repair. Even a GM car would have better reliability and that isn't saying much. For as much as I love the way the car drives, I can say I will never own another Bimmer. Looking forward to a Pontiac G8 GT

Favorite Features

Handling, sound system, fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

The rest of the car needs to be engineered to last as long as the body and engine. Too many problems to list and too expensive to repair

The best car I ever had. Period.
By Pablo

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

This is by far the best car I ever had, comfortable and it is 100% fully loaded with all the gadgets. Ride is smooth and it has a lot of power, I will buy another 5 series any time.

Favorite Features

Power and the smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

I had some electronic problems and the CD used to skip all the time. I tried to fix that several times but, it kept doing it. Parts could be really expensive, so is maintenance.