Used 2000 BMW 5 Series 540i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

I'd buy one again
By Pam

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I am the original owner, ordered it new. I love the performance, handling and the way it it can make a u-turn in such a small space. With the 42k that I have on it I have had to replace the radiator, and 2 of the sensors. The last time, BMW did not charge me because of the low miles on the car. That I appreciated. Living in NJ where there is a lot of traffic, pulling onto the Parkway is very easy with the power of this car. People are amazed at the speed and pickup that it has.It still does, after owning it for 6 yrs. This car came standard with everything one needs. I would buy another one.

Favorite Features

Looks, handling, and pick-up speed.The seats are very comfortable for me and my passengers agree.The sound system is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders. A compass would be nice. I don't need a navagation system.

It rocks, but fix the climate control
By BMW Lover

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I bought this one with 17k miles on it - for $10K under book. What a deal!!! I replaced the noisy Yokohamas with Bridgestone SO2's (Pole Positions) and could actually hear the beautiful engine sounds. Handles like a dream - loves the rainy roads almost better than the dry. Always ready to go as fast as I dare and never balks. I bought an extended warranty to 7 years/100K miles - great idea. I've gotten more than I paid for the warranty in paid repairs - some are right expensive. Biggest complaint is that BMW Service can't seem to find out why it is blowing A/C in my face when it's 45 degrees outside and I've got both thermostats set on 78-80 degrees. It makes me crazy !!!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Features

Speed, handling, wood burl trim, fit & finish - German design and engineering (except for the can holders & plastic door handles)

Suggested Improvements

The climate control system seems to have lost it's brain. Surely there is a way to regulate the temperature to maintain an even temperature without the wild swings. I think the temp sensor is right behind the can holders - odd place and reacts to drink temps to regulate interior climate.

Ultimate Driving Machine Requires Repair
By AD

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Without question, the finest vehicle I have ever driven or owned in terms of the driving experience. On the other hand, without question the most expensive vehicle to keep in top running condition. I purchased the car with 82k miles where the car was a single owner with all maintenance up to date. In the 15k miles I owned it, I replaced a radiator, rear brakes, oxygen sensor, air mass flow meter, belts, radiator cap and rear ball joints. Also, had multiple issues passing state inspection due to Check Engine Light (where mechanic could not fix) In comparing other Bimmer owners, my experience is consistent... Ultimate Driving Machine that is Expensive to Own

Favorite Features

Performance, Ride, Handling, Braking. Once went from 90 to 30 as quickly as possible due to lane infringement - car never shook or quivered - just stopped on a dime. Saved us from a nasty accident.

Suggested Improvements

Interior quality is suspect in a couple of areas: cup holders, rattles in dash, and plastic seat modlings on driver side break and cause power motors in seat to disconnect. Overall, I would say BMW needs to improve reliability. For a $55k car, repairs should be less of an issue.

My first car from across the pond...
By skent

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Confidence inspiring. That really sums it up. This car has legendary handling, more than adequate power and killer brakes. This is my first BMW and it will not be my last. I was a little concerned about the maintenace stories, but after having the car a while and doing some research on maintaining this car and some of the cures to common issues, I'm not at all worried. Love the styling in and out. The style #66 wheels are my favorite as well.

Favorite Features

Hands down, the six speed transmission is the option to have - and you will pay a premium for it even in the used market. Couple the MT with the sport package and all you will want to do is drive this car! DSP stereo/CD system rocks too!

Suggested Improvements

Disappointed in the AM radio poor reception and whine. There is a TSB on the subject, but it looks like it is a non-warranty replacement of the DSP amp ($1,300) ouch!

Yeah, baby!!
By Childersb

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

My wife made me buy it. Honest! I was set on a 2002 Lexus IS300. Boy, was she ever right! There is just no comparison between the two. This is by far a classier, more powerful (and expensive) animal of a car! And, I bought it with17K miles for $10K below book. Yeah, baby!! I bought an Extended Warranty for $2400 and have gotten $2000 worth of use from it. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND AN EXTENDED WARRANTY FOR THESE CARS!! As has been said, repairs are expensive -every time. Though, I have had no major issues with this car. I put Bridgestone Potenza SO-3 Pole Position tires - $1Kfor 4 - 20K miles a set - on this car. It LOVES the rain, almost better than the dry road. I LOVE THIS CAR!

Favorite Features

Speed, handling, 6-speed, creature comforts inside. I can run off and leave just about anybody - and, boy is that fun.

Suggested Improvements

The automatic climate controls leave something to be desired. 35 degrees outside, temp set to 74 degrees (bothsides) and it's blowing COLD A/C in my face - maddening. United BMW can't seem to hear me tell them it's BROKEN. Tomohawks are pretty fragile and expensive to replace. Cupholders SUCK!