Used 2000 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Keeps on giving
By clockgame

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

I've put over 100k miles on my car and I still love it. I want to be cool and buy the new body style but I just can't justify it. The quality is great. It is a driving machine, this is no car.

Favorite Features

Look, Heated Seats

Good Bad Ugly
By John D

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

I love driving this car. At 162000 miles the ride is still great albeit I have redone most of the suspension. Gas mileage on my six cylinder is around 25 with hiway city mix. Repairs have been astronomical. I understand putting money in the suspension, belts, etc but everything is expensive. The ugly. Electronic modules run everything and need to be replaced far too often. I would love to buy another of this design model but just could not afford it.

Favorite Features

The ride.

Suggested Improvements

Electronic modules that are affordable.

Dysfunctional Love/Hate Relationship
By Vinn

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car used/private sale as 3rd owner w/ approximately 60,000 miles. I absolutely loved to drive this car. Driving it out on the highway was a little slice of heaven. Great feel. Solid. But wait. In the two years I owned this car, I put roughly $6,000 into the car on repairs. I had to have it towed so often that I had my local towing company programmed into my cell phone. Repairs averaged $600 per hit. I finally had to throw in the towel when the last repair (something electrical) totaled over $1,200. Used the car as trade in for new Lexus. Have heard from my local BMW repair specialist that these cars often hit the wall at approximately 70 to 80 thousand miles. Beware.

Favorite Features

Great drive.

The Best of the Best
By raiderddj

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Owning a 528i with sport package puts a daily smile on my face. No other four door sedan has this classy appearance and exceptional feel for the road. Power is average but the sound and feel of the engine is second to none. Handling is superb as is braking. Creature comforts are excellent with the exception of the cheesy cup holders.

Favorite Features

Cornering, Braking, Engine Sound, Interior Quality, Exterior Appearance, Ease of Oil Changes (just do it yourself, easier than your American or Japanese car!)

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders...blah...blah...blah...don't change a thing!!!

2000 BMW 528i car for rich people
By Andre

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Very expensive to maintain. A lot of plastic details clips, houses, etc., in engine that needs to replace. Only rich people can afford to have this car serviced at dealership. You need to have 1K in your pocket all the time for unexpected maintenance. I would not take this car for a very long trip. Prepare to downtime. Do not buy it if you do not have a good mechanic you can trust.

Favorite Features

Exterior and Interior design is awesome. Very powerful. You look very stylish in this car, very safe.

Suggested Improvements

Engine temperature. Plastic parts in engine. Cooling system is poor. Air conditioner.