2000 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Fun but expensive
By ServicePatrol on 03/23/08 15:05 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Owned the 528 with M sport package, The sport package is a must if you really wanted to experience true BMW performance. Definitely consider snow tires if you live in wintery climate. This car is great HOWEVER I hope you make good money because you will need it... an oil change alone is $135.00. All I can say is it doesn't get serviced that often but when it does be prepared to shell out the cash. You are better off to have your "out of warranty" Beemer service at a reputable european car service center. back to performance it is 2nd to none.

I love it
By Bix on 02/20/08 19:37 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Wagon

The title says it all, truth is this is the overall very best car I've ever owned. After over 30K miles I still smile every time I drive the car. And because it's a touring model I can haul real things. The only complaint I actually have is stupid and dangerous cupholders. Oddly the only cup which works is "Mini" mug.

2000 540i sport
By i006129 on 12/30/07 18:22 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

After five years of driving, the 540 with the sport package is the most fun car I have ever driven. The six speed manual is a necessity. That said, this is also the most delicate car I have ever driven. Lots of issues with sensors, water pump and radiator replacement etc. The radio is also less than stellar. Not even worth calling a stereo. I spend on average $1500-2000/year on maintenance and repairs. Part of this cost is getting the wheels repaired after hitting speed bumps too fast (sport package comes w/low profile tires and alloy wheels). I don't know if this is typical, but I'd suggest budgeting for higher than average repair costs. All that said, i'm still addicted to the drive.

Fun but costly
By shmeezil on 12/19/07 13:53 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Most fun car to drive I've ever owned when it's running. In 9 months of ownership have spent over 2K on repairs. Best advice is to find a competent independent mechanic who specializes in Bimmers. Going to the dealership for repairs or routine maintenance is a very costly and time-consuming adventure. From a driver's perspective the car is awesome. Enough power off the line and especially when passing on the freeway over 60. The steering makes you feel like you're connected to the pavement. If you can afford the repairs and downtime, this is a fun car to drive.

Beautiful car.
By Scottyknows50 on 08/21/07 08:01 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

We bought this car used with 72000 miles on it. Before our first month was up we had to replace the $400 water pump. Other than that we have taken it on some long trips and couldn't be more pleased. This car drives as smoothly at 110 mph as it does at 65 mph. Bridgestone tires are working well for us. My fiancee is the main driver, and when I get to drive it it's usually with her and our son so I don't get to push it like I want to. It is a joy when I do get it out by myself. Acceleration is great for a 2.8 and it corners very well right now, and I will probably get sticker tires for next time. Very enjoyable car to drive.

A foreign muscle car
By luv it on 04/04/07 21:39 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

It took a while to find, but my persistence yielded me a used 540i with aftermarket intake and exhaust upgrades. Stock HP is already 282, and with the upgrades mine is around 310. The 5 series is one of the best combinations of sport and luxury you'll ever find. Don't hesitate to get one!

What a car should be
By grovesd on 11/26/06 11:56 AM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

I have owned my BMW 528i since June, 2000. It has 85,000 miles and I have had only one significant repair - an electronic component affecting the transmission's performance. Other than that, this car has been a dream to own and drive. It has loads of safety features and drives like a car should drive. It's a solid, responsive, road- hugging blast. The inline 6 is throaty and powerful although you won't be pinned to your seat like the V8 540i. Two gripes for me - the bucket seats are not comfortable in long drives and the environmental controls require too much button mashing. What the heck is wrong with a knob? Still very happy and I'll own this car for at least another 50,000 miles.

Pleasure and pain
By cobra27 on 10/30/06 16:19 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I bought the car w/38k miles. In the 22k I've put on it, it's given me lots of smiles, and also had me cursing at it. It's a great performer and handler, but I've replaced a mass air sensor, camshaft sensor, CD changer and more. I'm not sure if I would get another one.

Good Car
By hmcdade on 10/02/06 10:11 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Like owning the 2000 BMW 528i. Performance is perfect with soft braking. Maintenance is higher than other cars (to be expected), but if you stay away from dealer and find other BMW specialty mechanic shops, your wallet will be happier.

Overpriced hassle
By TexRider on 07/20/06 06:51 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

This car offers good balance between comfort and fun sporty ride. Bit stiff for this class, unless you're driving on the perfect highway, you feel every little bump on the road. Seats are very uncomfortable. After 3 years of ownership, I suffer major back problems. Sound insulation could be better. But the biggest and the worst problem with this car is reliability. I have never owned such unreliable vehicle. Something breaks every 1000-1500 miles. I purchased mine as Certified Pre-Owned and can't get out of repair shops. Most of repairs are covered by the warranty, but I am tired of going to the dealership every month.