2000 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
I'd buy one again
By Pam on 02/26/06 06:36 AM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I am the original owner, ordered it new. I love the performance, handling and the way it it can make a u-turn in such a small space. With the 42k that I have on it I have had to replace the radiator, and 2 of the sensors. The last time, BMW did not charge me because of the low miles on the car. That I appreciated. Living in NJ where there is a lot of traffic, pulling onto the Parkway is very easy with the power of this car. People are amazed at the speed and pickup that it has.It still does, after owning it for 6 yrs. This car came standard with everything one needs. I would buy another one.

It rocks, but fix the climate control
By BMW Lover on 12/04/05 18:33 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I bought this one with 17k miles on it - for $10K under book. What a deal!!! I replaced the noisy Yokohamas with Bridgestone SO2's (Pole Positions) and could actually hear the beautiful engine sounds. Handles like a dream - loves the rainy roads almost better than the dry. Always ready to go as fast as I dare and never balks. I bought an extended warranty to 7 years/100K miles - great idea. I've gotten more than I paid for the warranty in paid repairs - some are right expensive. Biggest complaint is that BMW Service can't seem to find out why it is blowing A/C in my face when it's 45 degrees outside and I've got both thermostats set on 78-80 degrees. It makes me crazy !!!!!!!!!!!!

Ultimate Driving Machine Requires Repair
By AD on 09/13/05 16:27 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Without question, the finest vehicle I have ever driven or owned in terms of the driving experience. On the other hand, without question the most expensive vehicle to keep in top running condition. I purchased the car with 82k miles where the car was a single owner with all maintenance up to date. In the 15k miles I owned it, I replaced a radiator, rear brakes, oxygen sensor, air mass flow meter, belts, radiator cap and rear ball joints. Also, had multiple issues passing state inspection due to Check Engine Light (where mechanic could not fix) In comparing other Bimmer owners, my experience is consistent... Ultimate Driving Machine that is Expensive to Own

My first car from across the pond...
By skent on 03/24/05 12:50 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Confidence inspiring. That really sums it up. This car has legendary handling, more than adequate power and killer brakes. This is my first BMW and it will not be my last. I was a little concerned about the maintenace stories, but after having the car a while and doing some research on maintaining this car and some of the cures to common issues, I'm not at all worried. Love the styling in and out. The style #66 wheels are my favorite as well.

Yeah, baby!!
By Childersb on 01/04/05 22:44 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

My wife made me buy it. Honest! I was set on a 2002 Lexus IS300. Boy, was she ever right! There is just no comparison between the two. This is by far a classier, more powerful (and expensive) animal of a car! And, I bought it with17K miles for $10K below book. Yeah, baby!! I bought an Extended Warranty for $2400 and have gotten $2000 worth of use from it. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND AN EXTENDED WARRANTY FOR THESE CARS!! As has been said, repairs are expensive -every time. Though, I have had no major issues with this car. I put Bridgestone Potenza SO-3 Pole Position tires - $1Kfor 4 - 20K miles a set - on this car. It LOVES the rain, almost better than the dry road. I LOVE THIS CAR!

2000 540i 6-spd.
By El Jefe on 07/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Fantastic, fantastic car. Elegant and luxurious, but crack the whip and you can get places in a hurry. Doesn't handle or feel like a 3,800 lb. car. I had a '99 M3 for three years and loved that rig, but this one can essentially do everything that car could, while offering more room and many more standard features. Too bad BMW lost focus and is now turning out hideous designs and chasing after segments they should never bother touching.

FUN...at a price
By Susieb on 06/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

What a great car to drive...for the first 80,000 miles. Since then, one thing after another has started to fail, and of course, it costs a fortune each time. If money isn't an issue to you, I would recommend this car to anyone. You can't beat the adrenaline rush of dropping a gear at 80mph and feeling the car jump forward!

BMW 540i 6sp
By archieDude on 06/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

This car is always a pleasure to drive and its stealth performance is there when you need it. The body style and popularity of lesser 5-series models doesn't turn heads but this car is made to thrill the driver, not the bystanders. Cupholder criticisms aside, the quality and durability is everything that its numerous awards suggest.

head turner
By ravenfan52 on 04/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

After 18 years of driving many different vehicles, my 540i with the sport/M package is by far the best car I've ever owned. I recently test drove a M5 and honestly, it feels only slightly faster than my 540i. The car is now 4 years old and still turns heads at stoplights! Especially fun is blowing away the kids in the ricers'; they don't know what they're up against! : )I'd definitely buy one again..

Big time repair bills
By bentrodri1 on 03/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

This car is idyllic for the performance driver that likes to go fast.