Used 2000 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

worth every penny
By mieciu

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

My first, definitely not the last.. I left it for a service and got a Chevy Tahoe as a loaner. What a difference in steering. I could not go straight! Once back in my BMW I felt like being bolted to the road. Great overall; smooth ride except sharp bumps (those joints on a concrete highway).

Smooth shifting; Responsive; solid (I drove into my garage with my bike on the roof. Bike and rack were damaged - car OK!.)

sun visor extension; Dealership service!

FUN...at a price
By Susieb

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

What a great car to drive...for the first 80,000 miles. Since then, one thing after another has started to fail, and of course, it costs a fortune each time. If money isn't an issue to you, I would recommend this car to anyone. You can't beat the adrenaline rush of dropping a gear at 80mph and feeling the car jump forward!

Acceleration at high speeds, styling, cornering, the way it hugs the road.

The well documented cup holders--they are totally stupid. The trunk is sufficiently deep, but I wish it were a little wider. It's hard to fit a standard golf bag in.

BMW 540i 6sp
By archieDude

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

This car is always a pleasure to drive and its stealth performance is there when you need it. The body style and popularity of lesser 5-series models doesn't turn heads but this car is made to thrill the driver, not the bystanders. Cupholder criticisms aside, the quality and durability is everything that its numerous awards suggest.

It's one of the few high performance cars you can drive wearing a suit and not look like you're in a midlife crisis. The combination of a tight handling characteristics AND comfort on long drives cannot be matched by anything in this category.

The 540 6-speed has handling and performance so far beyond the others in the series (excluding the M5) that it should have a different model number.

Ulimate Discomfort Machine
By cobo

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

The sport seats have nearly crippled me. The seat cushion sags even under my moderate 170 lb. frame. This causes spine to flatten and forces a slouch position. The lumbar support tries to force your spine into normal curvature, but it is poorly positioned, hard as a rock, and not adjustable. I've never been so pleased with a car, and yet been unable to enjoy it due to the major discomfort of the seats. I've owned 10+ cars and driven countless European, Japanese and American cars on business trips. I've never had a seat bother me before, despite very long trips.

Ride and handling, responsive engine, super smooth shifting and clutch engagement, clean layout, switchgear placement. A real driver's car!

Adjustable lumbar support should not be an option in a vehicle of this class. And even the models that offer adjustable lumbar support don't retract the support far enough into the seat compared to all other vehicles on the market.

Some Practical Advice
By nycdoofus

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Great car, solidly built, nimble at high speeds. Monstrous brakes and the Stability system has saved me more than once - getting itself out of an understeer. There is only one real weakness - the tires. Once I upgraded the tires (wait for them to go on sale, $150s per tire every now and then, though i paid the full 200) i could not have been happier. Now I don't need to endanger all of my neighbors and strangers by driving a car-crash-incompatible SUV and menacing the roads in general. Last winter (a doozy of one on the East Coast), I drove 364 out of 365 days and that the vast majority of rolled-over and road-side crashed cars were trucks like the Explorer and Blazer.

Great looks, nice but not overstated or wacky (like the new Beemers). Very very solid car.

trunk CD changers: annoying cupholders: cruel German joke TIRES: The original Dunlops slipped and fished. I now have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires, and the difference is OUT OF THIS WORLD. Astounding improvement in wet and snow handling, quieter ride.