Used 2000 BMW 5 Series Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Bmw 5-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

The good, the bad, and the Ugly
By roy_spann

2000 BMW 5 Series Wagon 528i 4dr Wagon

I bought this car new. Fun to drive, hugs the road, looks good. After 4 yrs problems: A/C blower, steering wheel return, coolant thermostat, exhaust sensor, pulse generator, broken bleeder screw, leaking P/S supply hose, plastic radiator split down side - replaced(big bucks). The car is now 10 yrs old but only 64,000 mi. Just spent $1728 for valve cover gasket leak, crank case vent valve, hoses. Repairs needed per BMW serv rep: fuel inj serv, all rad hose replacement, engine oil pan leak, engine drive belts, thrust arm bushings torn, engine mounts,alignment-cost $4642!! I'll never again buy a BMW. The car handles beautifully on the road. In the shop, bend over and hock your 1st born!!

Favorite Features

Excellent road hugging suspension, comfortable, durable paint job, great sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Drink holders are flimsy, quickly break and will not retract- not worthy of BMW engineering. CD player needs to be inside the dash so you don't have to stop the car and go to the trunk the change CDs. The maintenance record is very poor. I have had Japanese cars before, drove them for 10 years with over 100,000mi with few problems. The BMW oil leaks, gasket replacements, etc. mentioned above are excessive as well as the costs of repair are prohibitive.

Best Car I've ever owned
By WoodyWW

2000 BMW 5 Series Wagon 528i 4dr Wagon

I bought my wagon at 1.5 years old from a BMW dealer. It had 10,600 miles & was CPO. 9 years later it has just under 30K miles, & still looks & drives like new. I had 2 repairs under warranty; a brake sensor, & a broken door handle. At warranty end, I started taking it to an excellent indie bmw shop. During that time, the only repairs have been: the tailgate latch failed twice, costing $200-$300 each time. And now A/C needs recharge or repair, I'm a bit nervous about that. But all in all, to spend only around $1k in 9 years on maintenance & repairs on an expensive Euro car I consider amazing. (I owned a used Range Rover-under warranty!-it cost me that in one year).

Favorite Features

Very very nice, solid car with 6 airbags. The wagon is great, you gain all the hauling capacity w/o giving up any performance. Very nice interior, clean looking, with fairly simple controls (pre-"i-drive"). Non run-flat tires (with a spare!). "Fit & finish", & build quality, are exemplary.

Suggested Improvements

I'm amazed at the # of people here still taking their 10 y.o. bmw to a dealer for a repairs. Folks, do yourselves a favor, find the best indie bmw shop in your area, even if the closest one is an hour away.

Poor engine design
By XXonarrival

2000 BMW 5 Series Wagon 528i 4dr Wagon

My first BMW to be the last, expensive replacement parts, engine head that sits on the engine block is made of an alloy that can't be refurbished, has to be replaced with a new. When the Head goes oil seeps into the coolant ruining the coolant system. When the head is replaced the bock is damaged and has to be replaced. The bolts for mounting head onto the block often damage the block, thus making it obsolete. Read internet response to this particular model overheating. It's a shame BMW hasn't addressed the issue nor recall the poorly design Head.

Favorite Features

The design and interior of the car.

Suggested Improvements

Engine Alloy and Parts Stink!! Expensive and over-rated.

I love it
By Bix

2000 BMW 5 Series Wagon 528i 4dr Wagon

The title says it all, truth is this is the overall very best car I've ever owned. After over 30K miles I still smile every time I drive the car. And because it's a touring model I can haul real things. The only complaint I actually have is stupid and dangerous cupholders. Oddly the only cup which works is "Mini" mug.

Favorite Features

Driving dynamics

Finally A Grown Up Car!!
By pikesfish

2000 BMW 5 Series Wagon 528i 4dr Wagon

After owing two previous Toyotas I took a chance on a BMW and have not looked back. Impressed with safety record, handling, power and performance. Definitely would consider purchasing another one in the future. Can't say enough about the looks when I pull up at work now. Thanks

Favorite Features

The seats are the best allowing me to customize a personal setting for me and another for my husband. Nice touch.

Suggested Improvements

Those cup holders leave much to be desired and I am not sure what the sliding arm rest was supposed to be used for. Would have prefered a storage compartment instead.