Used 2000 BMW 5 Series 528i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

By far the Best Sedan I've ever owned
By in2Art-n-Film

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I'm a 60 year-old high performance car guy. I've had Hot Rods, sports cars, Mercedes (500SL), BMWs & Porsches (including a wicked 914 w/a 400 HP 350 Chevy V8), you get the picture. Our 2000 528i is the most reliable & fun to drive sedan I've ever owned. I'm 6'4" & 220 lbs & this is so much more comfortable than any of our past Mercedes or BMWs. Excellent handling; quick & nimble; great gas mileage; ideal for long trips. Never get tired of driving it. Huge trunk & way more practical than a cumbersome 7 series. My wife, kids & grandkids are tall & there's plenty of room in back for 3 passengers. This is a fantastic car. In a 100K miles I've only replaced tires, brakes & an alternator!

Favorite Features

Handling & performance; overall styling; interior comfort; reliability & dependability.

Suggested Improvements

Extension "wings" on the sun-visors. I'm over six feet tall and have the seat all the way back... and the sun- visor does not help when you're as tall as I am. An aftermarket "extension" from Pep Boys solved this minor problem.

Fun car, i love it
By GE

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Bought the car used, unfortunately it had rear axle problems so we went through 3 sets of tires before it was found but after that problem was fixed everything is running perfectly. The car originally had 70k miles on it and there is now 111k miles on it and we have not had to do anything but routine maintenance on her. I plan to drive her until she dies. Mom has an '86 3.25es and it still runs like it did the day she bought it, so I'm hoping for a long life.

Favorite Features

the look, ride quality, and comfortable interior.

Suggested Improvements

bigger engine with more power. :)

Money Pit
By Richie Rich

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Remember the '80s movie with Tom Hanks and Shelly Long-The Money Pit...it was like that. Great car to drive when it ran. Electrical problems caused the battery to drain leading to 3 new batteries and 20 jumps/charges over the course of a year. Add new tires, brakes, water pump, antifreeze and oil leaks, control arms, sway bars, brake/abs/traction control sensors, etc and no repairs are affordable.

Favorite Features

Body style, leather heated seats, stereo, engine performance.

Suggested Improvements

Improve reliability and cost to maintain.

Wonderful Car
By srm858

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I bought my car used, 3rd owner at 108k. I drove it a year and had continuous cooling system problems. It turns out the previous owner cracked the head by overheating the car. I replaced the head myself and now the car is fantastic. You cannot have these cars serviced by the dealer, it is way too expensive. Do maintenance and repairs yourself or find a good independent mechanic, there are many. This is a great car on the highway and the handling with the sport package is exceptional. Overall the car is very well made and you can see where the money has gone to. I would highly recommend to anyone.

Favorite Features

Handling. Good gas mileage (32 highway). Extremely comfortable. Good looking. The cupholders aren't THAT bad.

Suggested Improvements

Better stereo, the bass is weak. Wish it had a more reliable cooling system.

Sensor Headache
By Tfjng

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I had owned this car for about 3 years now and it has been giving headaches with sensor lights coming on like Christmas all year round. The most common lights/failure is the odometer where ASC, ABS, Engine check lights all comes on at once. When this happens, the dealer charges an arm and a leg to have them fixed. Most time it is the stupid ASC Module that failed which is an expensive equipment to replace. BMW dealership's repair are a repair. Bunch of rip offs. They charge you by just talking to you. $140 for a scan check, then a few thousands for repairs. Don't buy these cars if you can't handle stress.

Favorite Features

Looks good when sitting in my drive way.

Suggested Improvements

Stop charging so much for parts and repairs, build parts that don't break so easily.