2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
By far the Best Sedan I've ever owned
By in2Art-n-Film on 10/31/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I'm a 60 year-old high performance car guy. I've had Hot Rods, sports cars, Mercedes (500SL), BMWs & Porsches (including a wicked 914 w/a 400 HP 350 Chevy V8), you get the picture. Our 2000 528i is the most reliable & fun to drive sedan I've ever owned. I'm 6'4" & 220 lbs & this is so much more comfortable than any of our past Mercedes or BMWs. Excellent handling; quick & nimble; great gas mileage; ideal for long trips. Never get tired of driving it. Huge trunk & way more practical than a cumbersome 7 series. My wife, kids & grandkids are tall & there's plenty of room in back for 3 passengers. This is a fantastic car. In a 100K miles I've only replaced tires, brakes & an alternator!

Fun car, i love it
By GE on 05/31/10 02:03 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Bought the car used, unfortunately it had rear axle problems so we went through 3 sets of tires before it was found but after that problem was fixed everything is running perfectly. The car originally had 70k miles on it and there is now 111k miles on it and we have not had to do anything but routine maintenance on her. I plan to drive her until she dies. Mom has an '86 3.25es and it still runs like it did the day she bought it, so I'm hoping for a long life.

Money Pit
By Richie Rich on 12/29/09 08:13 AM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Remember the '80s movie with Tom Hanks and Shelly Long-The Money Pit...it was like that. Great car to drive when it ran. Electrical problems caused the battery to drain leading to 3 new batteries and 20 jumps/charges over the course of a year. Add new tires, brakes, water pump, antifreeze and oil leaks, control arms, sway bars, brake/abs/traction control sensors, etc and no repairs are affordable.

Wonderful Car
By srm858 on 09/15/09 12:46 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I bought my car used, 3rd owner at 108k. I drove it a year and had continuous cooling system problems. It turns out the previous owner cracked the head by overheating the car. I replaced the head myself and now the car is fantastic. You cannot have these cars serviced by the dealer, it is way too expensive. Do maintenance and repairs yourself or find a good independent mechanic, there are many. This is a great car on the highway and the handling with the sport package is exceptional. Overall the car is very well made and you can see where the money has gone to. I would highly recommend to anyone.

Sensor Headache
By Tfjng on 09/01/09 22:27 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I had owned this car for about 3 years now and it has been giving headaches with sensor lights coming on like Christmas all year round. The most common lights/failure is the odometer where ASC, ABS, Engine check lights all comes on at once. When this happens, the dealer charges an arm and a leg to have them fixed. Most time it is the stupid ASC Module that failed which is an expensive equipment to replace. BMW dealership's repair are a repair. Bunch of rip offs. They charge you by just talking to you. $140 for a scan check, then a few thousands for repairs. Don't buy these cars if you can't handle stress.

Keeps on giving
By clockgame on 08/14/09 20:09 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I've put over 100k miles on my car and I still love it. I want to be cool and buy the new body style but I just can't justify it. The quality is great. It is a driving machine, this is no car.

Good Bad Ugly
By John D on 08/09/09 18:42 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I love driving this car. At 162000 miles the ride is still great albeit I have redone most of the suspension. Gas mileage on my six cylinder is around 25 with hiway city mix. Repairs have been astronomical. I understand putting money in the suspension, belts, etc but everything is expensive. The ugly. Electronic modules run everything and need to be replaced far too often. I would love to buy another of this design model but just could not afford it.

The Best of the Best
By raiderddj on 04/09/09 23:11 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Owning a 528i with sport package puts a daily smile on my face. No other four door sedan has this classy appearance and exceptional feel for the road. Power is average but the sound and feel of the engine is second to none. Handling is superb as is braking. Creature comforts are excellent with the exception of the cheesy cup holders.

2000 BMW 528i car for rich people
By Andre on 02/05/09 21:27 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Very expensive to maintain. A lot of plastic details clips, houses, etc., in engine that needs to replace. Only rich people can afford to have this car serviced at dealership. You need to have 1K in your pocket all the time for unexpected maintenance. I would not take this car for a very long trip. Prepare to downtime. Do not buy it if you do not have a good mechanic you can trust.

Stay with the E39
By Sim Simma Bimma on 06/10/08 08:00 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Ok, this is my second Bimma. 1st was an 84 325e that saved me a couple of times. I bought this 528i in 06 with only 35k miles on it. Only issues were the typical stuff that I had my dealership fix. The reason I am writing this review is to state that I just got 620 miles on 1 tank of gas. I am no "hiper-miler" but that's outstanding. That equated to 34 mpg. Just installed my own cd player and a sub. 10 speakers and still no bass. great thing is that my radio charges my bbery curve.