Used 2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

By far the Best Sedan I've ever owned
By in2Art-n-Film

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I'm a 60 year-old high performance car guy. I've had Hot Rods, sports cars, Mercedes (500SL), BMWs & Porsches (including a wicked 914 w/a 400 HP 350 Chevy V8), you get the picture. Our 2000 528i is the most reliable & fun to drive sedan I've ever owned. I'm 6'4" & 220 lbs & this is so much more comfortable than any of our past Mercedes or BMWs. Excellent handling; quick & nimble; great gas mileage; ideal for long trips. Never get tired of driving it. Huge trunk & way more practical than a cumbersome 7 series. My wife, kids & grandkids are tall & there's plenty of room in back for 3 passengers. This is a fantastic car. In a 100K miles I've only replaced tires, brakes & an alternator!

Favorite Features

Handling & performance; overall styling; interior comfort; reliability & dependability.

Suggested Improvements

Extension "wings" on the sun-visors. I'm over six feet tall and have the seat all the way back... and the sun- visor does not help when you're as tall as I am. An aftermarket "extension" from Pep Boys solved this minor problem.

Fun car, i love it
By GE

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Bought the car used, unfortunately it had rear axle problems so we went through 3 sets of tires before it was found but after that problem was fixed everything is running perfectly. The car originally had 70k miles on it and there is now 111k miles on it and we have not had to do anything but routine maintenance on her. I plan to drive her until she dies. Mom has an '86 3.25es and it still runs like it did the day she bought it, so I'm hoping for a long life.

Favorite Features

the look, ride quality, and comfortable interior.

Suggested Improvements

bigger engine with more power. :)

Magnificent at 9 yrs old
By heymatey

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

Wonderful car, looks great, drives better. V8 thirsty around town but not bad (25mpg) on hwy, 19mpg avg over 40k mi. I'll dare to say 6-spd manual has long-ish throws & clutch delay valve (CDV) makes smooth driving tough. Bought used w/80k, now have 117k. Repairs: Final stage unit (FSU) for climate control (installed myself), coolant reservoir (recently; cooling system had been gone through before I bought). Now needs brakes (again--they were replaced just before I purchased), some clunking from front end (but steers/rides fine). What other car can one find for under $10k w/this much gravitas, ability & quality? Much prefer to newer 5-series. Still stylish/impressive to clients. A classic.

Favorite Features

build quality interior materials and design ride/handling compromise is just about perfect quiet interior fold-down rear seats (optional, VERY desirable)

Suggested Improvements

cupholders (of course) cooling system components (but not too $$ and can replace yourself) valley pan gaskets on V8 remove CDV on manual trans cars (easy/cheap fix)

Money Pit
By Richie Rich

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Remember the '80s movie with Tom Hanks and Shelly Long-The Money Pit...it was like that. Great car to drive when it ran. Electrical problems caused the battery to drain leading to 3 new batteries and 20 jumps/charges over the course of a year. Add new tires, brakes, water pump, antifreeze and oil leaks, control arms, sway bars, brake/abs/traction control sensors, etc and no repairs are affordable.

Favorite Features

Body style, leather heated seats, stereo, engine performance.

Suggested Improvements

Improve reliability and cost to maintain.

My baby will be ten soon
By kenbo

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I got this car new, blue with the M sport suspension, then did a ton of mods right in the first year to make it unique and just an absolute monster in terms of HP and torque. Lowered, body kit, Dinan engine and transmission mods, Remus exhaust system, 19-inch wheels, subwoofer, bigger brakes, too many upgrades to list. I love this car, the performance is incredible, I have pegged the speedo at 155mph and driven for over an hour at 135mph with the engine staying nice and cool. The 4.4L V8 with custom exhaust has an awesome sound. Having said all that, you really need to be on top of your game keeping this car running well. You need to have a race mechanic that knows everything about BMW.

Favorite Features

4.4L V8, transmission, rear wheel drive, M sport suspension, exterior style, solid and precise steering, driver's car

Suggested Improvements

Lots of small stuff: Use metal instead of plastic in radiator tank connections, improve oil separator valve design, improve secondary air system components, improve evaporative emission system, mass air sensor design, precat O2 sensor design, camshaft VANOS control, AC final stage control unit design.