Used 2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Lots of things to fix at 146K miles
By Sky

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

It's a family car that's turned over to me. I have mixed emotions. Happy because it's a gift. Nervous because it's turning to be a money pit. I have a long list of things to fix: driveshaft replacement, oil pan gasket replacement, transmission service and selector shaft seal replacement, upper control arm bushings replacement, brake rotors, pads, water pump, thermostat and hoses replacement for preventive maintenance.

best bmw
By susie

Looks/drives great for a 16 year old daily driver
By Rulrand Wiehl

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I have owned my 528i for almost five years and love it! Bought it with 43,000 miles on it and have driven it to 102,000 mostly commuting.
Have had a few repairs ( radiator, nav system) but it has not been terrible as I use an indie shop.
BMW even agreed to help me replace a bad nav unit and now that works great, and I saved about $3,000 dollars ( you read it right) installing a used part.
As a road car it is really superb. Great ride and feels like a tank. Decent mpg overall ( 24).. Best of all mine is CLEAN. Looks new really and people are starting to comment as it is increasingly older. I took a risk buying a ten year old car, but it's worked out great for me and I really respect the brand.
As an update, recently (end 2015) the ABS module failed, but the car is still driveable, just not with ABS if needed. The replacement cost is 1600 dollars-so the future ability to kep this car hinges on the number of such repairs that are needed.
It still looks great and drives beautifully.

By far the Best Sedan I've ever owned
By in2Art-n-Film

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I'm a 60 year-old high performance car guy. I've had Hot Rods, sports cars, Mercedes (500SL), BMWs & Porsches (including a wicked 914 w/a 400 HP 350 Chevy V8), you get the picture. Our 2000 528i is the most reliable & fun to drive sedan I've ever owned. I'm 6'4" & 220 lbs & this is so much more comfortable than any of our past Mercedes or BMWs. Excellent handling; quick & nimble; great gas mileage; ideal for long trips. Never get tired of driving it. Huge trunk & way more practical than a cumbersome 7 series. My wife, kids & grandkids are tall & there's plenty of room in back for 3 passengers. This is a fantastic car. In a 100K miles I've only replaced tires, brakes & an alternator!

Handling & performance; overall styling; interior comfort; reliability & dependability.

Extension "wings" on the sun-visors. I'm over six feet tall and have the seat all the way back... and the sun- visor does not help when you're as tall as I am. An aftermarket "extension" from Pep Boys solved this minor problem.

Fun car, i love it
By GE

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Bought the car used, unfortunately it had rear axle problems so we went through 3 sets of tires before it was found but after that problem was fixed everything is running perfectly. The car originally had 70k miles on it and there is now 111k miles on it and we have not had to do anything but routine maintenance on her. I plan to drive her until she dies. Mom has an '86 3.25es and it still runs like it did the day she bought it, so I'm hoping for a long life.

the look, ride quality, and comfortable interior.

bigger engine with more power. :)