2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
By far the Best Sedan I've ever owned
By in2Art-n-Film on 10/31/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I'm a 60 year-old high performance car guy. I've had Hot Rods, sports cars, Mercedes (500SL), BMWs & Porsches (including a wicked 914 w/a 400 HP 350 Chevy V8), you get the picture. Our 2000 528i is the most reliable & fun to drive sedan I've ever owned. I'm 6'4" & 220 lbs & this is so much more comfortable than any of our past Mercedes or BMWs. Excellent handling; quick & nimble; great gas mileage; ideal for long trips. Never get tired of driving it. Huge trunk & way more practical than a cumbersome 7 series. My wife, kids & grandkids are tall & there's plenty of room in back for 3 passengers. This is a fantastic car. In a 100K miles I've only replaced tires, brakes & an alternator!

Fun car, i love it
By GE on 05/31/10 02:03 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Bought the car used, unfortunately it had rear axle problems so we went through 3 sets of tires before it was found but after that problem was fixed everything is running perfectly. The car originally had 70k miles on it and there is now 111k miles on it and we have not had to do anything but routine maintenance on her. I plan to drive her until she dies. Mom has an '86 3.25es and it still runs like it did the day she bought it, so I'm hoping for a long life.

Magnificent at 9 yrs old
By heymatey on 01/28/10 09:08 AM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

Wonderful car, looks great, drives better. V8 thirsty around town but not bad (25mpg) on hwy, 19mpg avg over 40k mi. I'll dare to say 6-spd manual has long-ish throws & clutch delay valve (CDV) makes smooth driving tough. Bought used w/80k, now have 117k. Repairs: Final stage unit (FSU) for climate control (installed myself), coolant reservoir (recently; cooling system had been gone through before I bought). Now needs brakes (again--they were replaced just before I purchased), some clunking from front end (but steers/rides fine). What other car can one find for under $10k w/this much gravitas, ability & quality? Much prefer to newer 5-series. Still stylish/impressive to clients. A classic.

Money Pit
By Richie Rich on 12/29/09 08:13 AM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

Remember the '80s movie with Tom Hanks and Shelly Long-The Money Pit...it was like that. Great car to drive when it ran. Electrical problems caused the battery to drain leading to 3 new batteries and 20 jumps/charges over the course of a year. Add new tires, brakes, water pump, antifreeze and oil leaks, control arms, sway bars, brake/abs/traction control sensors, etc and no repairs are affordable.

My baby will be ten soon
By kenbo on 12/15/09 23:33 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I got this car new, blue with the M sport suspension, then did a ton of mods right in the first year to make it unique and just an absolute monster in terms of HP and torque. Lowered, body kit, Dinan engine and transmission mods, Remus exhaust system, 19-inch wheels, subwoofer, bigger brakes, too many upgrades to list. I love this car, the performance is incredible, I have pegged the speedo at 155mph and driven for over an hour at 135mph with the engine staying nice and cool. The 4.4L V8 with custom exhaust has an awesome sound. Having said all that, you really need to be on top of your game keeping this car running well. You need to have a race mechanic that knows everything about BMW.

Wonderful Car
By srm858 on 09/15/09 12:46 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I bought my car used, 3rd owner at 108k. I drove it a year and had continuous cooling system problems. It turns out the previous owner cracked the head by overheating the car. I replaced the head myself and now the car is fantastic. You cannot have these cars serviced by the dealer, it is way too expensive. Do maintenance and repairs yourself or find a good independent mechanic, there are many. This is a great car on the highway and the handling with the sport package is exceptional. Overall the car is very well made and you can see where the money has gone to. I would highly recommend to anyone.

Sensor Headache
By Tfjng on 09/01/09 22:27 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I had owned this car for about 3 years now and it has been giving headaches with sensor lights coming on like Christmas all year round. The most common lights/failure is the odometer where ASC, ABS, Engine check lights all comes on at once. When this happens, the dealer charges an arm and a leg to have them fixed. Most time it is the stupid ASC Module that failed which is an expensive equipment to replace. BMW dealership's repair are a repair. Bunch of rip offs. They charge you by just talking to you. $140 for a scan check, then a few thousands for repairs. Don't buy these cars if you can't handle stress.

Keeps on giving
By clockgame on 08/14/09 20:09 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I've put over 100k miles on my car and I still love it. I want to be cool and buy the new body style but I just can't justify it. The quality is great. It is a driving machine, this is no car.

Good Bad Ugly
By John D on 08/09/09 18:42 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 528i 4dr Sedan

I love driving this car. At 162000 miles the ride is still great albeit I have redone most of the suspension. Gas mileage on my six cylinder is around 25 with hiway city mix. Repairs have been astronomical. I understand putting money in the suspension, belts, etc but everything is expensive. The ugly. Electronic modules run everything and need to be replaced far too often. I would love to buy another of this design model but just could not afford it.

Dysfunctional Love/Hate Relationship
By Vinn on 05/24/09 12:42 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car used/private sale as 3rd owner w/ approximately 60,000 miles. I absolutely loved to drive this car. Driving it out on the highway was a little slice of heaven. Great feel. Solid. But wait. In the two years I owned this car, I put roughly $6,000 into the car on repairs. I had to have it towed so often that I had my local towing company programmed into my cell phone. Repairs averaged $600 per hit. I finally had to throw in the towel when the last repair (something electrical) totaled over $1,200. Used the car as trade in for new Lexus. Have heard from my local BMW repair specialist that these cars often hit the wall at approximately 70 to 80 thousand miles. Beware.