2000 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
The good, the bad, and the Ugly
By roy_spann on 01/22/11 12:01 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Wagon

I bought this car new. Fun to drive, hugs the road, looks good. After 4 yrs problems: A/C blower, steering wheel return, coolant thermostat, exhaust sensor, pulse generator, broken bleeder screw, leaking P/S supply hose, plastic radiator split down side - replaced(big bucks). The car is now 10 yrs old but only 64,000 mi. Just spent $1728 for valve cover gasket leak, crank case vent valve, hoses. Repairs needed per BMW serv rep: fuel inj serv, all rad hose replacement, engine oil pan leak, engine drive belts, thrust arm bushings torn, engine mounts,alignment-cost $4642!! I'll never again buy a BMW. The car handles beautifully on the road. In the shop, bend over and hock your 1st born!!

Best Car I've ever owned
By WoodyWW on 11/29/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Wagon

I bought my wagon at 1.5 years old from a BMW dealer. It had 10,600 miles & was CPO. 9 years later it has just under 30K miles, & still looks & drives like new. I had 2 repairs under warranty; a brake sensor, & a broken door handle. At warranty end, I started taking it to an excellent indie bmw shop. During that time, the only repairs have been: the tailgate latch failed twice, costing $200-$300 each time. And now A/C needs recharge or repair, I'm a bit nervous about that. But all in all, to spend only around $1k in 9 years on maintenance & repairs on an expensive Euro car I consider amazing. (I owned a used Range Rover-under warranty!-it cost me that in one year).

Poor engine design
By XXonarrival on 12/21/09 21:05 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Wagon

My first BMW to be the last, expensive replacement parts, engine head that sits on the engine block is made of an alloy that can't be refurbished, has to be replaced with a new. When the Head goes oil seeps into the coolant ruining the coolant system. When the head is replaced the bock is damaged and has to be replaced. The bolts for mounting head onto the block often damage the block, thus making it obsolete. Read internet response to this particular model overheating. It's a shame BMW hasn't addressed the issue nor recall the poorly design Head.

I love it
By Bix on 02/20/08 19:37 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Wagon

The title says it all, truth is this is the overall very best car I've ever owned. After over 30K miles I still smile every time I drive the car. And because it's a touring model I can haul real things. The only complaint I actually have is stupid and dangerous cupholders. Oddly the only cup which works is "Mini" mug.

Finally A Grown Up Car!!
By pikesfish on 04/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Wagon

After owing two previous Toyotas I took a chance on a BMW and have not looked back. Impressed with safety record, handling, power and performance. Definitely would consider purchasing another one in the future. Can't say enough about the looks when I pull up at work now. Thanks

This thing rocks!
By SteveW on 07/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Wagon

I have owned a Saab 9000 turbo, a Range Rover, a BMW 6-Series, etc. All-in-all, this is the best vehicle I've ever owned. It's "subtle", esp. w/the 6 cyl. It's so competent, so smooth, esp. with the auto trans., that it took me awhile to realize the many ways in which it excels. Just take a 5-Series on a road trip.....10 miles out, you're thinking, "OK, I could drive to Canada right now, no problem!" I used to wish for the V8, but the BMW 6 cylinders are legendary for reliability, smoothness, & make really nice sounds. The "Touring" model is a bonus; all the goodness of a Five, but more distinctive, & with cargo capacity.

Last Beemer for me!
By dh56 on 10/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Wagon

Very disappointed with this my 2nd BMW. Yes - it's a wonderful, fun-to-drive car. BUT - A/C has died 2nd summer in both cars - $1300 to repair!! Cupholders are a joke - unusuable and constantly broken - and now the water pump went -2 months before my lease ends - another $1000 to fix. For $700/month I'm going to be looking elsewherefor my next car. And the dealership is NO help - they act like it's a privilege to own one of their cars.

528 WAGON
By ROSS TAYLOR on 08/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Wagon

WAGON'S DRIVING PERFORMANCE IS EXCELLENT WITH EXTRAORDINARY CORNERING AND TYPICAL BMW CONTROL. A JOY TO DRIVE AND CARRY A LOAD OF FAMILY SHOPPING TRIPS.

The Ultimate Driving Machine
By Just Do It on 03/11/02 00:14 AM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Wagon

Driving in a BMW 528iT is like driving in a vault. The sportswagon is truely sports and drives like a sports car. Words simply do not do it justice. You are in complete control and should you decide to put some distant between yourself and others on the highway, you can with a blink of an eye literally jump from 65mph to 105. Simply put, the 528iT is exciting, exhilerating to drive, practicle, beautiful to look at and solid, I mean SOLID. Buy one and enjoy it.