2000 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Magnificent at 9 yrs old
By heymatey on 01/28/10 09:08 AM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Wonderful car, looks great, drives better. V8 thirsty around town but not bad (25mpg) on hwy, 19mpg avg over 40k mi. I'll dare to say 6-spd manual has long-ish throws & clutch delay valve (CDV) makes smooth driving tough. Bought used w/80k, now have 117k. Repairs: Final stage unit (FSU) for climate control (installed myself), coolant reservoir (recently; cooling system had been gone through before I bought). Now needs brakes (again--they were replaced just before I purchased), some clunking from front end (but steers/rides fine). What other car can one find for under $10k w/this much gravitas, ability & quality? Much prefer to newer 5-series. Still stylish/impressive to clients. A classic.

My baby will be ten soon
By kenbo on 12/15/09 23:33 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I got this car new, blue with the M sport suspension, then did a ton of mods right in the first year to make it unique and just an absolute monster in terms of HP and torque. Lowered, body kit, Dinan engine and transmission mods, Remus exhaust system, 19-inch wheels, subwoofer, bigger brakes, too many upgrades to list. I love this car, the performance is incredible, I have pegged the speedo at 155mph and driven for over an hour at 135mph with the engine staying nice and cool. The 4.4L V8 with custom exhaust has an awesome sound. Having said all that, you really need to be on top of your game keeping this car running well. You need to have a race mechanic that knows everything about BMW.

Dysfunctional Love/Hate Relationship
By Vinn on 05/24/09 12:42 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car used/private sale as 3rd owner w/ approximately 60,000 miles. I absolutely loved to drive this car. Driving it out on the highway was a little slice of heaven. Great feel. Solid. But wait. In the two years I owned this car, I put roughly $6,000 into the car on repairs. I had to have it towed so often that I had my local towing company programmed into my cell phone. Repairs averaged $600 per hit. I finally had to throw in the towel when the last repair (something electrical) totaled over $1,200. Used the car as trade in for new Lexus. Have heard from my local BMW repair specialist that these cars often hit the wall at approximately 70 to 80 thousand miles. Beware.

MPG
By wmwider on 11/25/08 13:04 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I have always gotten 23 to 29 mpg with this model 540i m sport. Great automobile, very fun and very fast.

Amazing to Drive - Extremely Unreliable
By DM on 11/23/08 09:35 AM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I have owned my 540i for six years now and will be giving it to my son. It is a pleasure to drive and has very good safety features and can get 28 - 30 MPG cruising on the freeway at 75 MPH. As for reliability - lets just say a Ford Taurus is way better and much less expensive to repair. Even a GM car would have better reliability and that isn't saying much. For as much as I love the way the car drives, I can say I will never own another Bimmer. Looking forward to a Pontiac G8 GT

The best car I ever had. Period.
By Pablo on 10/08/08 16:21 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

This is by far the best car I ever had, comfortable and it is 100% fully loaded with all the gadgets. Ride is smooth and it has a lot of power, I will buy another 5 series any time.

2000 540i sport
By i006129 on 12/30/07 18:22 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

After five years of driving, the 540 with the sport package is the most fun car I have ever driven. The six speed manual is a necessity. That said, this is also the most delicate car I have ever driven. Lots of issues with sensors, water pump and radiator replacement etc. The radio is also less than stellar. Not even worth calling a stereo. I spend on average $1500-2000/year on maintenance and repairs. Part of this cost is getting the wheels repaired after hitting speed bumps too fast (sport package comes w/low profile tires and alloy wheels). I don't know if this is typical, but I'd suggest budgeting for higher than average repair costs. All that said, i'm still addicted to the drive.

A foreign muscle car
By luv it on 04/04/07 21:39 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

It took a while to find, but my persistence yielded me a used 540i with aftermarket intake and exhaust upgrades. Stock HP is already 282, and with the upgrades mine is around 310. The 5 series is one of the best combinations of sport and luxury you'll ever find. Don't hesitate to get one!

Pleasure and pain
By cobra27 on 10/30/06 16:19 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I bought the car w/38k miles. In the 22k I've put on it, it's given me lots of smiles, and also had me cursing at it. It's a great performer and handler, but I've replaced a mass air sensor, camshaft sensor, CD changer and more. I'm not sure if I would get another one.

Performance, Reliability, and Economy
By headhound on 05/30/06 15:43 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I have had the car for over 56,000 miles and 106,000 miles overall. Recent engine oil analysis showed almost no wear. Gas mileage is averaging 24 MPG in mixed driving. Car has exceptional acceleration at any speed and even better braking. As much under control at 120 as at 40. Interior comfort could be better but control layout is totally logical. Some wear on seat plastic trim. Maintenance is easy but not cheap. Expensive but worth it.