Used 2000 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 100 Car Reviews | Edmunds

By susie

Looks/drives great for a 16 year old daily driver
By Rulrand Wiehl

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

I have owned my 528i for almost five years and love it! Bought it with 43,000 miles on it and have driven it to 102,000 mostly commuting.
Have had a few repairs ( radiator, nav system) but it has not been terrible as I use an indie shop.
BMW even agreed to help me replace a bad nav unit and now that works great, and I saved about $3,000 dollars ( you read it right) installing a used part.
As a road car it is really superb. Great ride and feels like a tank. Decent mpg overall ( 24).. Best of all mine is CLEAN. Looks new really and people are starting to comment as it is increasingly older. I took a risk buying a ten year old car, but it's worked out great for me and I really respect the brand.
As an update, recently (end 2015) the ABS module failed, but the car is still driveable, just not with ABS if needed. The replacement cost is 1600 dollars-so the future ability to kep this car hinges on the number of such repairs that are needed.
It still looks great and drives beautifully.

The good, the bad, and the Ugly
By roy_spann

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Wagon

I bought this car new. Fun to drive, hugs the road, looks good. After 4 yrs problems: A/C blower, steering wheel return, coolant thermostat, exhaust sensor, pulse generator, broken bleeder screw, leaking P/S supply hose, plastic radiator split down side - replaced(big bucks). The car is now 10 yrs old but only 64,000 mi. Just spent $1728 for valve cover gasket leak, crank case vent valve, hoses.
Repairs needed per BMW serv rep: fuel inj serv, all rad hose replacement, engine oil pan leak, engine drive belts, thrust arm bushings torn, engine mounts,alignment-cost $4642!!
I'll never again buy a BMW. The car handles beautifully on the road. In the shop, bend over and hock your 1st born!!

Excellent road hugging suspension, comfortable, durable paint job, great sound system.

Drink holders are flimsy, quickly break and will not retract- not worthy of BMW engineering. CD player needs to be inside the dash so you don't have to stop the car and go to the trunk the change CDs. The maintenance record is very poor. I have had Japanese cars before, drove them for 10 years with over 100,000mi with few problems. The BMW oil leaks, gasket replacements, etc. mentioned above are excessive as well as the costs of repair are prohibitive.

Best Car I've ever owned
By WoodyWW

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Wagon

I bought my wagon at 1.5 years old from a BMW dealer. It had 10,600 miles & was CPO. 9 years later it has just under 30K miles, & still looks & drives like new. I had 2 repairs under warranty; a brake sensor, & a broken door handle. At warranty end, I started taking it to an excellent indie bmw shop. During that time, the only repairs have been: the tailgate latch failed twice, costing $200-$300 each time. And now A/C needs recharge or repair, I'm a bit nervous about that. But all in all, to spend only around $1k in 9 years on maintenance & repairs on an expensive Euro car I consider amazing. (I owned a used Range Rover-under warranty!-it cost me that in one year).

Very very nice, solid car with 6 airbags. The wagon is great, you gain all the hauling capacity w/o giving up any performance. Very nice interior, clean looking, with fairly simple controls (pre-"i-drive"). Non run-flat tires (with a spare!). "Fit & finish", & build quality, are exemplary.

I'm amazed at the # of people here still taking their 10 y.o. bmw to a dealer for a repairs. Folks, do yourselves a favor, find the best indie bmw shop in your area, even if the closest one is an hour away.

By far the Best Sedan I've ever owned
By in2Art-n-Film

2000 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

I'm a 60 year-old high performance car guy. I've had Hot Rods, sports cars, Mercedes (500SL), BMWs & Porsches (including a wicked 914 w/a 400 HP 350 Chevy V8), you get the picture. Our 2000 528i is the most reliable & fun to drive sedan I've ever owned. I'm 6'4" & 220 lbs & this is so much more comfortable than any of our past Mercedes or BMWs. Excellent handling; quick & nimble; great gas mileage; ideal for long trips. Never get tired of driving it. Huge trunk & way more practical than a cumbersome 7 series. My wife, kids & grandkids are tall & there's plenty of room in back for 3 passengers. This is a fantastic car. In a 100K miles I've only replaced tires, brakes & an alternator!

Handling & performance; overall styling; interior comfort; reliability & dependability.

Extension "wings" on the sun-visors. I'm over six feet tall and have the seat all the way back... and the sun- visor does not help when you're as tall as I am. An aftermarket "extension" from Pep Boys solved this minor problem.