1999 BMW 5 Series Consumer Review: High milage 528I

1999 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Review

528i Sedan (2.8L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

High milage 528I
By K.L.Denham on

1999 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

We bought this car in 2004 for it's styling and performance. It's the wife's primary driver and she puts on a lot of miles. All was well until about 120K. Both rear window regulators have been replaced, $160 ea. The water pump went out. The alternator went out and we replaced with a low mile used one for half the $260 for a new one. Three weeks after the alternator the radiator sprung a leak, $550 to have it replaced. Added with the expensive oil changes $60-$70 and the sport suspension that wears the inside of tire out in 25,000 miles if not constantly rotated and lack of good certified BMW mechanics outside of big city areas, you might think twice about a higher mileage beemer.

It's hard to beat the looks of the 528I. Nice performance and safety.

I think BMW engineered their vehicles to be worked on by pro-mechanics only. The alternator is a three hour job to replace and takes specialized tools. Oil filters are cartridges not the regular canister type. Nothing comes off the engine easily.