1999 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
awesome and fun to drive!!
By sara on 09/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

what a fun car to drive. just turned 40 and growing bored with my chrysler lhs. too young to be so bored so bought a bimmer!! i actually smile and get my adrenline flowing with thhis car. only problem is no place to take it and let me hair down!!!!! :)

The Ultimate Driver's Car
By KernelPanic on 09/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

This is my 3rd BMW and 1st 5 series. I simply love this car. It is well-appointed, seats five comfortably and drives like a demon. The 4.4l engine is built like a Swiss watch, and can easily run up to red-line with no hint of roughness. The low-end torque is outstanding as well. With the 6 speed and sport differential the car hits 65 MPH in second gear in around 5 seconds. The sound system is excellent as well.

I'm *STILL* in love...
By Kimo on 09/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

If you love to drive and can handle the price, you should own this car. There is nothing else (except the M5) like it. It's fast, tight, refined and inspring to drive. After 16,000 miles I still get excited every morning when I back out of the driveway and head out onto the road.

Drivers choice
By FatCat on 08/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

This car is simply the best. It's gives a great driving experience and serves as a practical car, with four doors and spacious trunk. Power is excellent with the V8, and control is spot on, the big tires plant themselves to the road and just don't let go. I dread the day, many years from now when I'll have to give up this car.

Upgrade to newer year
By bwilljr on 08/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

I just moved up from my 97 to a 99 528IA. So sweet. I was looking at new Nissan Altima's, used Volvo S-80's, and Infinity G35's. Bottom line - they are not the ultimate drivig machine. Buy a ceritifed used vehicle, beat on the dealer, do your homework on price (TMV with Edmunds and look at Car & Drivers websote as well as Kelly Blue Book on line), sell your used car, and take advantage of BMW financing (I'm in at 3.9 60 months, 100%). You will not be sorry.

Simply the BEST
By Boca on 07/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

This is my third 5 series beamer and nothing comes close to the proformance, style and comfort of my 540I. Equiped with every option including the 6 speed manual transmission that will put you back in the sit in each gear. The low end torque allows me to limit the down shifts and still leave me a lot of power.

Awesome Car
By rapids23 on 06/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

This car is serious. I just bought it last month and I have never been more impressed with a 4 door sports car. I had turned in my SL500 and this car is everything that car was (except for the convertible!) and I can put a baby seat in the back!

Driving is fun again
By Jim Meyer on 05/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

What a pleasure it is to drive again. This car preforms like a precision machine with creature comforts beyond my wildest dreams. All of that and reasonable operating costs too. It was a financial leap worth making,a true definition of the word value.

It's been a ride
By moth123dd on 05/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Great performance, fun to drive, don't live in New England, however. Bad in snow/ice, even a very little. Interior design is good, love the radio controls on the steering wheel. Cup holders have broken off five times, windshield wipers have stopped working in the rain, front molding has fallen off.

Dream Car!
By rogreal on 05/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Far & away the best car I've ever owned.This car is not a Lexus. You feel every curve, the engine is inspiring and the reliability is unmatched.