Used 1999 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Good driver
By Bill

1999 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I love this car, a bit expensive for non-warranty items (expected). Drives VERY well. Acceleration, handling, and braking are the best I have found so far. Got this car at a bargain price, and paid the price for some needed repairs, but since being brought back to specs it has delivered respectable and dependable sevice. Fuel mileage has amazed me in that when driven sanely I average 21-22 in town and 26- 27 on the highway ... all that in a car that will do over 155 mph if you wish.

Acceleration is exceptional. Corners very well for a fairly large car and comes to a stop quickly. The sport package delivers 6-way power seats that are in the uppoer level comfort range.

Cup holders (not intended for the autobahn) are poorly designed and break too easily.

Smiles, smiles, smiles, repair...
By gmoney68

1999 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

You will love this car! I have the 6sp. Fun to drive, great to look at. You'll receive a ton of compliments. Oil changes are only required every 12k. My radiator has gone twice. It's plastic, but was under warranty. I replaced the cupholders with Ultimate Cupholders that mount near the floor in the front and replaced the rears with a CD holder. You will love this car. Just do yourself the favor and DIY maintenance/repairs or find a reliable private non-dealer BMW shop.

Handling, acceleration, appearance, horsepower, abundance of available modifications, interior

Cup holders. More accessible engine compartment. Arm rest is a joke - replace it. Ventilation system is terrible.

All Day Amusement Park!
By BMW540i6

1999 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I absolutely love the 540i 6speed. It has tremendous torque for when I want to go fast, but is elegant and civilized when I have the two infants in the back. I enjoy doing the work myself so labor cost is not an issue, but parts can be more expensive than some other makes. If you're an enthusiast like me, you'll love this car.

V8 and 6 speed. Timeless styling, fits the family well and still corners almost as good as an M3.

A few too many electronics for my liking, but I guess that's what a buyer wants when spending $58K on a new one in 1999.

Hit to the wallet
By Larry

1999 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

I was in love with this car for almost two months. This 528i was a previous lease and then a BMW certified used car. I put 2500 miles on it and the transmission completely ate itself. Transmission (not dealer replaced) and two control units (dealer replaced) my wallet is now $5500 lighter. This after 78500 total miles on the car. I hope my letter to BMW falls on sympathetic ears.

After many American and a few imports, I Really enjoyed the fit and finish. Very solid.

1999 528i i love it!
By pauljr

1999 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used with 117,000 miles on it. I've put almost 5000 on it since august. I love it! I've had a Mercedes E420 a 1997, a 1992 911 carrera 2, 1997 911 C4S. This BMW drives like a cross between the others. The interior is by far the best of all the other cars. The 2.8 inline 6 gives just enough power to have a great time without the tickets you get in a Porsche.

The sound system is outstanding. The seats are much more comfortable than a Mercedes. The driver position is perfect and the wood trim is beautiful.

Who cares about cupholders?

• SUV