1999 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Best choice of what's out there
By truckerit on 12/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Wagon

I shopped around between passat,a6,forester,e-class. i narrowed it down to the a6, 528, & forester. I really liked the a6, but West Broad VW/AUDI serviced my vw also was the only place that serviced audi here in richmond va. so being as they screwed me already on the vw I was trading in, I opted for the 528. Driving this car is such a joy. It's not the most mechanically sound auto. My car is about 5 yrs old now & things are starting to give. My powersteering died & ABS cpu died. I've spent about $2500 in repairs after i purchased, but it's a bmw, it's got character.

Not too impressed!!!
By RickTurner on 12/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

First off, I will say this car has a nice exterior. The parts are of good quality but the maintenance on this car is a joke. I've owned several high end cars over the years to includes a Mercedes, a Jaguar, two Volvo's, and a Lexus. The BMW has been the worst for maintenance! This car needs more get up and go too for the price. Not impressed at all!!! The best cars I've owned have been the Volvo's. My wife has a 1999 Volvo S80 T6. Wow, that car is a rocket! Virtually trouble free and super low cost on maintenance.... not to mention, the most comfortable seats of any car we've owned. A much better choice than this BMW. I'm going back to Volvo!

Love it, but ...
By Stibift on 10/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Love the performance, the look and the handling of the car. So much fun to drive. Really enjoy leaving others at the stop light, the car moves away to effortless. Disappointed with the reliability. Both rear power windows broke, one after another, had also problems with the windshield molding deteriorating, water pump was an expensive repair.

Nothing Even Comes Close
By Ufgator31 on 10/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

True car nut here. I have owned and driven just about every vehicle on the face of the planet. It's true what everyone says: the BMW 540i is the best 4 door sedan $ can buy. My 99' 540i with the M packages and dealer installed Dinan Stage III is an everyday driver that behaves like an exotic.

NICE CAR
By KOLYA on 08/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

HI THIS IS KOLYA I GOT MY BMW JUST RIGHT NOW IT IS NICE CAR AND BEUTIFUL TO DRIVE IT.I HILY RECOMEDET FOR EVERY BODY.

Un-Beemer-Lievable
By Mr. Beems on 07/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

Outstanding handling; beautiful, classic design, reliability, outstanding service.....and those are the low points. I can't wait to purchase my next Beemer; hopefully the new 7 or the newest 5 series.

Great Car!
By Kencal on 06/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

I bought my BMW 528 back in 1999 and have enjoyed it a lot over the past 4 years. I had a few repairs so far, the worst was the breakdown of the board computer after 3 1/2 years which set me back about $1,200.

Total package
By Wonder42 on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

Sold an Audi S4 to get into the 540i. Yes, I certainly miss the Quattro in the winter; but, in nice weather, the 540i provides an unsurpassed performance driving experience - gobs of torque, great brakes, unflappable suspension and super accurate steering response. All of this - combined with a quiet, luxurious cabin with room for five - can't imagine the M5's capabilities!!

can't beat a 5 series
By nmexmatt on 05/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 BMW 5 Series 528i 4dr Sedan

I am a BMW fanatic. I currently have an 850 and a 528i. The 5 series is just a superb vehicle. Very solid. Love the steering wheel controls. I prefer the locking system and cruise control of my 8 series better, but other than that the 5 is an all around great machine.

I can't part with it.
By TimC on 03/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I've owned a 99' 540 iA w/ Sport Pkg. for 4 years now. Had a 95' 540 before that. I've been looking hard for the last couple of months for a new car replacement. I can't find anything I like better...except a 2003 BMW 540. So the decision was made...I'm keeping the 99' for my wife...ordered a new 2003 for myself. I couldn't be happier...I just wish I'd kept my 95' too. They've all been exceptional rides in every detail.